Tipping question

Hi, I heard that tipping is not the custom in the food service industry in Australia. We will be in Sydney next week and was wondering who to tip ? Should I tip the cab driver or other service people. Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks

Hi, I heard that tipping is not the custom in the food service industry in Australia. We will be in Sydney next week and was wondering who to tip ? Should I tip the cab driver or other service people. Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks

Generally, the rule is 'no tip'. But it isn't quite that simple. If you go to a high-class restaurant and the service is good, you can tip. Probably when the staff hear your accent they will expect it. Some Aussies would tip and many wouldn't.

With a taxi, if we are travelling with luggage (as we usually are), we will 'round-up' the fare. For a fare of (say) $56 we would give the driver $60 and say "please keep the change". If the driver doesn't know where he is going, and that happens sometimes, we don't give a tip. If you go on a sight-seeing bus tour, do not feel you have to hand the driver a tip. And if you get a shuttle bus to or from the ship, do not feel you have to give the driver a tip. I have both these done by our overseas friends.

Hope that helps, and enjoy your trip.:)

Edited by Aus Traveller

No need to tip at all - its not expected or factored into pricing

Having said that if exceptional service is provided its ok to leave a tip

Minimum wage is a lot higher here than the US. Some restaurants will add a 15% or so "service charge" when large groups are involved

The other thing to remember is that in Australia our prices include the GST (Goods and Services tax) of 10% in the published price - so what you see is what you will be charged - not like in the US where Sales Tax is add at the register in addition to the listed price - "Plus tax"

I hate the way tipping in the US now seems to start at an expectation of 20% and up now - although I do recognise that pricing and remuneration for staff factors that in - and in my experience US serving staff are a lot more attentive than their Australian counterparts (now that's going to generate some passionate comments I suspect - but remember I said in my experience....YMMV)

Don't tip any of them, if you don't want to, no one will get bent out of shape.

Taxi, I normally round up to the next note, so a fare of $8.70 I'll give him $10, as much for my benefit as his, by the time he finds $2.30 it has probably cost me more than that in time and I'll have three more coins in my pocket.

Waiters, really depends if it's just me o me and Mrs Gut we may well round up (but normally pay by card and add nothing). If part of a larger group usually very one just kicks in their share rounded up and hand it all over.

Not sure who else you'd tip, you are unlikely to have a bell boy lug your bags, we do that ourselves.

Certainly not he housekeeper in the hotel. Worked in hotels for years never heard of a housekeeper getting tipped.

Remember people here are paid very well.

Minimum adult wage around $17 an hour and penalty rates up to 2 and 1/2 times that or over $40.

My wife teaches kids who can earn (on certain days) $500 for a shift at McDonalds, now that not every day, but still not shabby. Many (school kids) will pick up $300-400 for a Sunday shift.

Barman, might leave the change.

No need to tip at all - its not expected or factored into pricing

Having said that if exceptional service is provided its ok to leave a tip

Minimum wage is a lot higher here than the US. Some restaurants will add a 15% or so "service charge" when large groups are involved

The other thing to remember is that in Australia our prices include the GST (Goods and Services tax) of 10% in the published price - so what you see is what you will be charged - not like in the US where Sales Tax is add at the register in addition to the listed price - "Plus tax"

I hate the way tipping in the US now seems to start at an expectation of 20% and up now - although I do recognise that pricing and remuneration for staff factors that in - and in my experience US serving staff are a lot more attentive than their Australian counterparts (now that's going to generate some passionate comments I suspect - but remember I said in my experience....YMMV)

Re tipping starting at around 20% must agree. I'm old enough to remember when tipping was 10% as the norm.

As an aside what does YMMV mean? I know I'm' stupid.

Re tipping starting at around 20% must agree. I'm old enough to remember when tipping was 10% as the norm.

As an aside what does YMMV mean? I know I'm' stupid.

Your Mileage May Vary. It's from American car ads.

I hate tipping. It's not the money, it's the hassle. If I'm on holidays or enjoying myself, the last thing I want to be doing is calculating how much I need to top up someone's inadequate wages. I would much prefer it if they would just put a labour surcharge on the bill.

It used to be ridiculous on ships to see passengers on the last day of a cruise chasing after staff while waving envelopes of cash. Much more civilised now.

To Eagle4413, you will find that you will be expected to tip because you are American. Confound their expectations. I disagree with rounding up taxi fare, a job is a job. Outside of the taxi driver maybe reviving you with CPR, you are not going to see outstanding service deserving of a tip. If you don't like coins drop them into one of the many charity tins you will see in stores.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Your Mileage May Vary. It's from American car ads.

I hate tipping. It's not the money, it's the hassle. If I'm on holidays or enjoying myself, the last thing I want to be doing is calculating how much I need to top up someone's inadequate wages.

Thanks.

A ral pain when I had to take a price add 15% tip (as was at that stage the norm) then add 17.5% state tax. Now I was pretty good at mental arithmetic once but sheesh, and then is the tip onto of the 17.5% or just he base price, so much hassle just tell me how much it is, if I think it's a Goid price I'll pay it but I'm on holidays I don't need to get out my slide rule.

Yes some waiters are paid well. But remember the is a lot of exploitation in the hospitality industry and many waiters are getting well below minimum wage. And I am talking from experience having worked in hospitality myself.

I know people always harp on about the penalty rates but what people fail to realise is that it is a multiple of the full time rate, not the casual rate. So it is not as great as it seems. My partner earned more per hour from his Mon-Fri job (not a professional) than I did from a Sunday or public holiday. Also don't forget, being casual there's no sick pay or holiday pay. And when the rush is over you get sent home. You don't get these great long shifts at the extra rate. And also you have to deal with rude people who treat you like dirt all day and you still have to smile and be friendly. Nobody seems to think about how bad it can be sometimes. So I usually tip because I know what its like. I don't work in it anymore and I never want to go back.

Don't tip any of them, if you don't want to, no one will get bent out of shape.

Taxi, I normally round up to the next note, so a fare of $8.70 I'll give him $10, as much for my benefit as his, by the time he finds $2.30 it has probably cost me more than that in time and I'll have three more coins in my pocket.

Waiters, really depends if it's just me o me and Mrs Gut we may well round up (but normally pay by card and add nothing). If part of a larger group usually very one just kicks in their share rounded up and hand it all over.

Not sure who else you'd tip, you are unlikely to have a bell boy lug your bags, we do that ourselves.

Certainly not he housekeeper in the hotel. Worked in hotels for years never heard of a housekeeper getting tipped.

Remember people here are paid very well.

Minimum adult wage around $17 an hour and penalty rates up to 2 and 1/2 times that or over $40.

My wife teaches kids who can earn (on certain days) $500 for a shift at McDonalds, now that not every day, but still not shabby. Many (school kids) will pick up $300-400 for a Sunday shift.

Barman, might leave the change.

I seriously question that kids can earn $500 for a shift at McDonalds. I just looked up the pay rates and it ranges from AU$9.24 - AU$18.24 an hour.

And the average McDonald annual pay is AU$19,541 - AU$37,949 -way below the average Australian wage.

and then is the tip onto of the 17.5% or just he base price

That's a trap for young players in the US - the tip calculation is on the base price before Sales Tax so a 20% tip on a $10 cost (yes yes I know its always $9.98) - would be $2 - then sales tax is on the $10 as well - say @ 6% - so that's 60c - so total price on payment is $10+$0.60+$2 - so $12.60

then you get to calculate the cost in A$ - by which time you do need that CPR from the taxi driver that someone mentioned earlier ;)

Edited by Bodogbodog

I seriously question that kids can earn $500 for a shift at McDonalds. I just looked up the pay rates and it ranges from AU$9.24 - AU$18.24 an hour.

And the average McDonald annual pay is AU$19,541 - AU$37,949 -way below the average Australian wage.

$18 an hour at double time and a half $45 just an 8 hour shift $360, if someone doesn't show and they put in 3 or 4 more hours till someone else gets in (and it happens).

As I said its only a few days a year that it jump that high.

But a normal Sunday double time $36 an hour around $300 a 8 hour shift. Though most only work half that. It's those maccas see as potential management that get the long shifts.

- the reason the average annual pay is below the average wage is pretty simple, very few of the staff work 40 hour weeks most only do a few shifts a week.

Gut2407,

I just looked up the pay rate for a 17 year old for a public holiday at McDonalds. Its $31.33 an hour so they'd have to work 16 hours to get $500. And those under 17 get a lot less.

And those over 18 ??

$18 an hour at double time and a half $45 just an 8 hour shift $360, if someone doesn't show and they put in 3 or 4 more hours till someone else gets in (and it happens).

As I said its only a few days a year that it jump that high.

But a normal Sunday double time $36 an hour around $300 a 8 hour shift. Though most only work half that. It's those maccas see as potential management that get the long shifts.

But you're making the mistake of of multiplying it at the casual rate. They multiply the penalty by the fulltime rate so its less than that and it's not double time on Sunday it's time and three quarters.

Seriously, I've worked in it is not a great industry. Nobody I worked with had a lot of money. I earned more sitting on my bum in an office not working half as hard.

OK Here's the rate for an 18 year old at McDonalds. Fulltime hourly rate is $13.29 an hour. Casual rate $16.61 an hour. Sunday $23.26 an hour. Public holiday $36.35 an hour. Notice Sunday is not double the casual rate like everyone thinks it is.

You can find all the info at the fair work.gov site

Tipping thread, I will get my popcorn.:p

I think you might go for the Grand Angus Mic, fries with that? If you have a Seniors card you can get a free drink with that too. Forget the popcorn.

Ronny Donnies is getting some publicity here, BOX ON CHAPS.

I think you might go for the Grand Angus Mic, fries with that? If you have a Seniors card you can get a free drink with that too. Forget the popcorn.

Ronny Donnies is getting some publicity here, BOX ON CHAPS.

No seniors card and no desire to eat Maccas food, only eat it when abroad fro the clean loos and the WiFi.:cool:

I am not touching that one.

Time for the Princess pop corn, rug and MUTS, Mic. I won't comment either on RCI because I have not been on their ships.

Though tipping on the Aussie forum tends to remain pretty tame.