Best Way To Contact While On Board?

Relax Cruiser

What's the best way to keep in touch and meet up if we both like to wander off on our own? What do you recommend?

We use notes on the cabin door mailbox.

We leave a pad and a pen.

I know its archaic. :rolleyes:

There is voice mail as well.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

If you have a smart phone, Princess@Sea has a messenger app. A little complicated so might want to visit the internet manager. You will need to know the other guest's long numerical guest number.

Turn phone to airplane mode. Turn on WiFi. This app uses free wifi.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

If you have a smart phone, Princess@Sea has a messenger app. A little complicated so might want to visit the internet manager. You will need to know the other guest's long numerical guest number.

You need to periodically check to see if you have messages since it doesn't alert you. The thing has some bugs they need to work out.

Turn phone to airplane mode. Turn on WiFi. This app uses free wifi.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

This feature is not available on all ships, but is on the Regal and Royal.

We use notes on the cabin door mailbox.

We leave a pad and a pen.

I know its archaic. :rolleyes:

There is voice mail as well.

Princess provides you with a pad and pen in the cabin. We will leave a note on the bed or chair if needed. I've only used the phone a couple of times out of all our cruises, but stopped after waking my sweetie from an afternoon nap.

This feature is not available on all ships, but is on the Regal and Royal.

Princess says it is:

"Princess@Sea is currently available on Caribbean Princess, Coral Princess, Crown Princess, Dawn Princess, Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess, Golden Princess, Grand Princess, Island Princess, Regal Princess, Royal Princess, Ruby Princess, Sapphire Princess, Sea Princess, Star Princess & Sun Princess. Pacific Princess is scheduled to launch Princess@Sea in December 2015. Princess@Sea Messenger is currently available on all ships where Princess@Sea is available."

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/princess-at-sea/

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have tried the pen/paper method on our last cruise but DH has a habit of not showing up on time if he's engrossed in some activity..:rolleyes::D:p

I did not know that Princess Messenger was free. On our last cruise with NCL we had to pay to use the messenger. We are traveling on the Emerald which looks like it's included. I have downloaded the app so will report back on how it worked once we're back from cruise.

FYI-I just got off the Caribbean Princess yesterday. The Messenger function worked great WHEN you could connect to the shop's Wifi. Had difficulty connecting in our stateroom and even sometimes around the ship. If you follow the instructions to set up and use the messenger function there is one piece of information not included in online instructions or written instructions I received from the Internet Cafe. The lady working in the Internet Cafe confirmed this and showed me how to get someone else on the ship with a smart phone added to Address Book in the messenger function. Once you have your internet account set up via the app or merely going to Caribbean.Princess.com in your web browser, click on the little Account icon in upper left of screen and you will find an approximate 7 or 8 digit alpha-numeric code specifically for you. Share this with others you want to communicate with (or ask others for their code) and input other persons code in the address set up area of your phone. This person should now show up in your Messenger address book and you should also show in their address book. As others have said, their is no notification sound so you have to sign into the messenger/Intranet application and if you have a message, their will be a red number in messenger icon at the bottom.

• 3 months later...

I believe the easiest way to communicate would be to buy a set of two way radios. For two of them a good set (length of range) you can get for around $70-90. This may seem high however if you travel a lot and adventure off without each other a lot they could come in handy, and it also is only a "one time buy".

I believe the easiest way to communicate would be to buy a set of two way radios. For two of them a good set (length of range) you can get for around $70-90. This may seem high however if you travel a lot and adventure off without each other a lot they could come in handy, and it also is only a "one time buy".

If you do a search on the term walkie talkie or radio on this site, you'll find many cruising vets who will confirm this is the least helpful way for what the OP wants.

Many of us utilize the note method without any problem. And who wants to lug around a hand radio around a ship?

If you do a search on the term walkie talkie or radio on this site' date=' you'll find many cruising vets who will confirm this is the least helpful way for what the OP wants.

Many of us utilize the note method without any problem. And who wants to lug around a hand radio around a ship?[/quote']

Plus the wall are metal- and often the signal will not work...

and then there is always consideration for others- I can't think of too many people who want to listen to radio chatter...

The thing I like most about cruising is not having to take my phone and purse everywhere. It's liberating and I don't want to be constantly checking my dang phone on vacation. So I refused to use the app on Regal. We all managed just fine with leaving notes for each other on the door using sticky notes.

And then some will want to take them into foreign ports where it is often illegal to use US designed walkie talkies. Fines and/or jail can result if caught using them.

And then some will want to take them into foreign ports where it is often illegal to use US designed walkie talkies. Fines and/or jail can result if caught using them.

Wow!!That's good to know. Will that happen fines/or jail in the Caribbean islands? :eek:

Tony

You can buy little magnet dry erase boards (mine are shaped like blue birds) & a pack of dry erase markers at Dollar Tree. We've taken ours on a few cruises and they're great. We just give everyone a marker & they can jot stuff down as needed.