Passports and Visas

USN59-79

I notice that some countries like India, China and Brazil are now offering ten year tourist visas. Our passports expire in two years. What do you do when you renew your passport with visas that are good for eight more years? Can you still use an expired (and replaced) passport with valid visas? If you send the foreign consulate a passport that expires in 2017 would they issue a visa that expires in 2026?

When you send in your expiring passport and your visa is still good, you can ask for the old passport back with your visa.

This happened to me when my passport expired and my Visa was still good for 8 more years. They don't reissue a new visa with the remaining time. They will just send it back with your new passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lrockwitt

I notice that some countries like India, China and Brazil are now offering ten year tourist visas. Our passports expire in two years. What do you do when you renew your passport with visas that are good for eight more years? Can you still use an expired (and replaced) passport with valid visas? If you send the foreign consulate a passport that expires in 2017 would they issue a visa that expires in 2026?

I know for China, if you have visa that exceeds the passport life, yes, you can still use the visa. HOWEVER, it must remain attached to the original (expired) passport and you have to show both.

If you replace your passport, you have to replace the visa, at least with Brazil.

Several years ago Brazil accepted our valid visas in our expired passports in conjunction with our new passports. However, I never assume that the technicalities of visa requirements remain the same from year to year.

The best course is always to validate with official sources rather than rely on anecdotal evidence from a website such as CC.

Be careful when you send your passport in and need it back. There are a rising number of cases where they void the passport (as it should) but per accident they also void the page that includes the visa. Depending on the country they either punch holes in your passport or cut of the corner of the passport. Make it very clear you will need the page(s) with valid visa(s) and they may not be voided and/or damaged.

If you have any questions regarding passport and/or visa issues, you're welcome to ask me as I use these things on a daily basis at work and have the latest updates regarding immigration rules for each country.

Anecdotes and previous experiences are under no circumstances good feedback as these things can change from one week to another.

I know for China, if you have visa that exceeds the passport life, yes, you can still use the visa. HOWEVER, it must remain attached to the original (expired) passport and you have to show both.

Yes, this is correct...but I wish there was an easier option for China rather than having to travel with both expired and current passports.

• 2 weeks later...

USN59-79

I saw on another post from you that you went on the Best of China CruiseTour in 2015.

Can you please discuss your experience - land portion of the CruiseTour; Air carrier and type of plane (my wife does not like small planes); details of land excursions; did you take the land tor to Cambodia and if so, can you provide details?

Thanks!!!!!

Sorry but you are wrong, as usual.

This is false information.

I can confirm from the timatic (official use to determine the need and validity of travel documents; I use this at work on a daily basis) Brasilian visas in expired passports if carried with a new passport. And only if the page that contains the visa has not been voided.

This quote is directly from the Timatic, updates mid January 2016:

"Passengers registered in passport of companion must hold an individual visa.

A valid visa in an expired passport is accepted if:

- page containing the valid visa has not been invalidated or mutilated and visa is clearly legible;

- passenger holds a valid passport of the same nationality;

- a handwritten annotation does not appear in the passport that passenger has been advised to obtain a new visa in valid passport."

This was a specific for US nationals, but goes for many other countries as well.

Instead of being snarky, you could check your resources because they're wrong.

Edited by headhunterke