Rough waters?

Max Bet

We are doing an 11 night Pacific Coastal on Infinity May 11/16 and I was wondering if anyone knows how rough the seas get that time of year. We usually get a mid-ship veranda but this trip could only get a forward oceanview.

Edited by Max Bet

No one can tell you what kind of seas you will have, I think being forward will not be as good as being in the middle to aft cabins. It sounds like you had no choice of cabins so just try to enjoy your cruise. Remember you will be on an ocean and on a ship so plan accordingly.

J.

Edited by jsf

You are asking the impossible - predicting the weather. Have been on Celebrity in Antarctica in 50' seas and that was a bit rolly polly. Never thought any other trip had seas that made the trip uncomfortable. The ships are 3 times the length of a Canadian football field and have stabilizers to reduce movement.

The lower the deck the less the movement.

You are asking the impossible - predicting the weather. Have been on Celebrity in Antarctica in 50' seas and that was a bit rolly polly. Never thought any other trip had seas that made the trip uncomfortable. The ships are 3 times the length of a Canadian football field and have stabilizers to reduce movement.

The lower the deck the less the movement.

I'm not asking anything impossible at all. I'm simply asking if anyone has experienced this trip at this time of year and how it was.

I think people are saying there is just no way to tell. I really don't pay too much attention to what is typical. Each cruise we go on I bring my sea bands and a package of Dramamine. In the reported calmest of seas seasons we have had it rough and then just the opposite.

What is rough to one person may not be to another so just prepare for anything.

We've taken quite a few Pacific Coastal cruises. In the Spring and the Fall.

Quite truthfully, you don't know what the seas will be like.

Our weather patterns on the West Coast have been rainy, and somewhat unpredictable.

Hopefully May will bring sunny skies and calm seas for you.

I'm not asking anything impossible at all. I'm simply asking if anyone has experienced this trip at this time of year and how it was.

I have somewhat recently on the Solstice and I've done many, many cruises off the coast of California (too many to count). I'll start a bit further south than I think you're going:

Typically speaking, it's usually a bit rough around Cabo and north to LA. It's very typical to have 8'-10' waves off the coast of California. (Newbies are usually in shock, thinking it would be flat going both north & south but it rarely is.)

Off of Santa Barbara up to SFO, you never know what you're going to get - could be rough or flat. We had about 6'-8' waves. Once you get further north, like just past Astoria, it can get quite rough - like 15'-20'. I enjoyed it but I don't get seasick. :D

My recommendation is to go with a slightly aft of midship, low-deck cabin. That way, you'll have the smoothest ride. ;)

Take one or many and call me in the morning:

Dramamine

Sea Bands

Ginger

Pickled Ginger

Ginger Candy

Ginger Ale

Massage

Bonine

Green Apples -(get these on ship, if they have them)

Premium Alcohol package

Do all these and you will either be sick or you won't. Enjoy your cruise, but be like a Boy Scout and Be Prepared.

I have somewhat recently on the Solstice and I've done many, many cruises off the coast of California (too many to count). I'll start a bit further south than I think you're going:

Typically speaking, it's usually a bit rough around Cabo and north to LA. It's very typical to have 8'-10' waves off the coast of California. (Newbies are usually in shock, thinking it would be flat going both north & south but it rarely is.)

Off of Santa Barbara up to SFO, you never know what you're going to get - could be rough or flat. We had about 6'-8' waves. Once you get further north, like just past Astoria, it can get quite rough - like 15'-20'. I enjoyed it but I don't get seasick. :D

My recommendation is to go with a slightly aft of midship, low-deck cabin. That way, you'll have the smoothest ride. ;)

Thanks for your very specific answer! That's exactly what I was looking for. I know it's a crap shoot when it comes to weather but we've done Mexico once with RCCL and the trip back north was pretty bad. (pools closed, etc.) I did get sick on that one but we've done Alaska 5 times and always flat water. My biggest concern on the PC cruise is that we could only get a forward 7th deck oceanview. Just make sure I have some dramamine I guess.

If going from Vancouver to San Diego, you might be ok but going north in the Pacific is going to be rough. I love this itinerary and love the Infinity but take it from someone that gets sea sick and hates that feeling, I wouldn't chance a forward cabin. I have no crystal ball but chances are, you won't be happy with the rough seas.

Thanks for your very specific answer! That's exactly what I was looking for. I know it's a crap shoot when it comes to weather but we've done Mexico once with RCCL and the trip back north was pretty bad. (pools closed, etc.) I did get sick on that one but we've done Alaska 5 times and always flat water. My biggest concern on the PC cruise is that we could only get a forward 7th deck oceanview. Just make sure I have some dramamine I guess.

You're welcome! There are some areas of the Pacific Coast that are pretty predictable. My mother always said the Pacific Ocean was a misnomer. It's anything but pacific. ;) Make sure you start your Bonine before you leave the first embarkation port. Who knows? It could end up being as flat as a pancake. :)

Hello Max - we are also on that cruise - since we are getting close to final payment, I would not be surprised if some cabins open up that would be more mid-ship or lower. There are websites that you can monitor daily to see what cabins are open - also I think X UK website shows available cabins more comprehensively than the US site. So check, check and check again and get ready to call with your request. I bet you will be able to change.

Come on over and join the roll call? I don't think I have noticed you posting there?

Take one or many and call me in the morning:

Dramamine

Sea Bands

Ginger

Pickled Ginger

Ginger Candy

Ginger Ale

Massage

Bonine

Green Apples -(get these on ship, if they have them)

Premium Alcohol package

Do all these and you will either be sick or you won't. Enjoy your cruise, but be like a Boy Scout and Be Prepared.

Great response! I loved it!

Hello Max - we are also on that cruise - since we are getting close to final payment, I would not be surprised if some cabins open up that would be more mid-ship or lower. There are websites that you can monitor daily to see what cabins are open - also I think X UK website shows available cabins more comprehensively than the US site. So check, check and check again and get ready to call with your request. I bet you will be able to change.

Come on over and join the roll call? I don't think I have noticed you posting there?

I'm new to CC and not familiar with roll call. I'm trying to change my cabin but because we are Blue Chip Club VIP's (we don't pay for our cruises) everything has to be done by Blue Chip Club and I'm waiting for their reply.

We've done two Pacific Coast cruises. Once on the Mercury and the second on the Century. We also were on a Panama Canal cruise which embarked in Ft. Lauderdale and ended in Seattle on the Infinity. On all three of those cruises I remember the seas being fairly active from about the Los Angeles area to north of San Francisco. Rough enough that the little white bags were stashed around the public areas in the ships.

Max - if you want to join the roll call you will find a section a ways down the main page - then you click into Celebrity, then Infinity, you will find all the different dates of the sailings, just make your way to May 11, 2016. You may also want to sign up for the meet and greet that will be held onboard, usually on the first sea day.

Back to rough seas.....does Celebrity provide seasick pills if rough waters are encountered? I think I remember on one past cruise some bowls of tablets were set out in the main lobby (as opposed to having to go to the infirmary) but that may not have been on Celebrity.

So could El Nino make it even rougher? I guess I was expecting pretty calm waters since it is the "Pacific" ocean :)

Max - if you want to join the roll call you will find a section a ways down the main page - then you click into Celebrity, then Infinity, you will find all the different dates of the sailings, just make your way to May 11, 2016. You may also want to sign up for the meet and greet that will be held onboard, usually on the first sea day.

Back to rough seas.....does Celebrity provide seasick pills if rough waters are encountered? I think I remember on one past cruise some bowls of tablets were set out in the main lobby (as opposed to having to go to the infirmary) but that may not have been on Celebrity.

So could El Nino make it even rougher? I guess I was expecting pretty calm waters since it is the "Pacific" ocean :)

Thankfully Blue Chip Club came through and I was able to get a cabin mid ship on deck 3! Perfect for us sensitive ones. I'm told sea sick pills are available at guest services.

Thankfully Blue Chip Club came through and I was able to get a cabin mid ship on deck 3! Perfect for us sensitive ones. I'm told sea sick pills are available at guest services.

I wouldn't count on that. Bring your own to make sure you have them whenever you need them. Bonine is better than Dramamine. Walmart has it usually on a lower shelf in the medicine aisles.

I wouldn't count on that. Bring your own to make sure you have them whenever you need them. Bonine is better than Dramamine. Walmart has it usually on a lower shelf in the medicine aisles.

We can't get Bonine or dramamine in Canada so hope to have enough time to get some in SAN Diego before boarding. Canadian gravol pills make me feel like crap.

We can't get Bonine or dramamine in Canada so hope to have enough time to get some in SAN Diego before boarding. Canadian gravol pills make me feel like crap.

They most likely will have it in the San Diego airport. It may cost a bit more but at least you won't be running around trying to find a place to buy it before boarding.

Take Ginger root capsules.

They've always worked for me and we've been in fairly choppy seas. Best of all, no after effects ;)

I just did 29days in South American waters. I usually suffer sea sickness. This time I took two ginger tablets everyday. I didn't feel sick even when we had really rough seas. The ship had to take an alternative route just to get out of the roughness.