Keeping belongings safe

I have the medium bag. It's big enough for what we carry to the beach (towels, sunscreen, kindle), without being too big and bulky.

mine is medium to. large seemed to large and small wasn't available when i ordered. i think medium was the right choice.

Alright folks, I get that there is a safe in the room and you don't need much stuff most of the time. That's not really helpful information.

Part of my thought process was that each of our shore excursions will require a change of clothes, so we will probably take a normal bag with clothes, towel, water, etc. Something like this would go in there and valuables could go inside. If the excursion required us to be away from our bag (swimming, for instance), I could lock the bag whole bag to something or at least have the valuables locked away in the bag to make it harder for someone to just pocket the phone or wallet.

Passports: We have passport cards and full passports. Full passports go in the room safe, cards go in the wallet. I know that you don't always have to have them while ashore, but what happens if you miss the boat? I make sure I have an official ID and a CC with me for that reason.

On the boat: Phone or camera is with me almost the whole time, and if I'm swimming, it can't go in my pocket. And I've had my seapass come out of my pocket while swimming. Like I said, in past cruises, I've just slid them between the towel on our beach chair and crossed my fingers.

thanks! I have the same Problem as I'm a Solotraveller and when I go to an beach excurison I don't have anyone looking after my staff when I want to go for a swim or snorklin.

I checked the link and the item Looks good. I might buy one of that as well

Wallet: I always have a mini-wallet that I use for travel that in this case would have ID, room key, and a little cash for tips and such.

Even if I decide to leave the wallet in the room, I still need a room key and am likely to bring my phone (which doubles as an e-book and camera on vacation).

And, of course, I think the biggest reason why I'd consider this would be for shore excursions. May not always have something to lock it to, but would still feel better having that stuff (plus the necessary passport) locked up.

I have always been on the impression that passports should be left on the ship, just carry your photo ID (driver's license). Everything else I leave in the room safe.

I have always been on the impression that passports should be left on the ship, just carry your photo ID (driver's license). Everything else I leave in the room safe.

They should, in my opinion, but there will be a lot of posters tell you otherwise.

Kyss bag users:

What size did you get? I've always wanted one and I am seriously considering getting one for our next vacation...

I have the large but we carry everything in it. 2 towels, 4 camelback water pouches, sunscreen, 2 kindles, 2 cameras plus a Gopro and room for souvenirs and swim shirt, etc. I am a big bag/ pack mule kinda gal, though, and want every "possible" to fit in one bag. Get a color that your husband will carry if it gets heavy[emoji6]

thanks! I have the same Problem as I'm a Solotraveller and when I go to an beach excurison I don't have anyone looking after my staff when I want to go for a swim or snorklin.

I checked the link and the item Looks good. I might buy one of that as well

If it appeals to you and fills a need you have, go ahead and get it. It's not really important what others do. Thefts do occur from beach chairs (I outta know! :() ... and having something chained to the arm of the chair would slow down the casual passer-by who just scoops things up unobtrusively and keeps on walking.

Edited by emeraldcity

I feel your pain. On board ship it's not an issue. DW stays while I go to the bar or restroom. Never really felt all that suspicious on the ship as I never took anything that worthwhile on deck.

However, two weeks ago we did an excursion to the Atlantis and I was a little concerned about leaving my backpack on the lounge chair while we both did the water slide, etc.

Not that I care about much, but since we had to use CC, ID, etc at the hotel it was an issue. It would have been nice to have been able to lock that stuff down.

I feel your pain. On board ship it's not an issue. DW stays while I go to the bar or restroom. Never really felt all that suspicious on the ship as I never took anything that worthwhile on deck.

However, two weeks ago we did an excursion to the Atlantis and I was a little concerned about leaving my backpack on the lounge chair while we both did the water slide, etc.

Not that I care about much, but since we had to use CC, ID, etc at the hotel it was an issue. It would have been nice to have been able to lock that stuff down.

To what?

Wow, rather surprised about some of the snarky comments directed at the OP. If securing items brings peace of mind, it is a good way to go. I appreciated the sharing of the KYSS bags and the portable safe since I was unaware of either item. Never know if there might be a need. Thanks for sharing!

I also recommend the Kyss bag. I have the medium size one and find it more than adequate. Along with the usual lotion, Kindle, camera etc. I also carry 2 beach towels, a cover-up, dry clothes for DH and I and still have room for any purchases. If you look at the video on their site, they show a woman carrying what I am pretty sure is the large and you'll get a sense of the size. I personally find it too big for my needs and am very happy that I chose the medium (which I would have categorized as large and the large as jumbo).

And yes, I took NemoCrownie's advice on the color choice. My macho mate would hate to carry around the hot pink one. lol. My 'medium' bag when full can still be heavy.

Someone will retrieve your passport from your room safe and leave it with the ship's agent in port.

Yes they will. We have seen ship personnel hand passports to pier staff just before a ship sailed.

As for valuables on shore, I use a small water wallet that easily holds credit cards, cash and seapass that can go in the water with me no problem. Not going to bother locking things to a chair that can be carried away.............

Edited by bouhunter

Yes they will. We have seen ship personnel hand passports to pier staff just before a ship sailed.

As for valuables on shore, I use a small water wallet that easily holds credit cards, cash and seapass that can go in the water with me no problem. Not going to bother locking things to a chair that can be carried away.............

I used to use one of those water wallets too. But that didn't protect my camera or Kindle. And I doubt that a thief would get away with dragging a lounger with attached beach bag away. I've also chained it to a palapa or even a tree trunk. The chain is concealed within the bag until you are ready to use it.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone used this or similar to lock up wallet, room key, phone while on the ship? Any feedback?

2. Does Royal Caribbean have any rules against using something like this on the pool or sports deck, or has anyone ever been asked to remove it?

3. What do you think, good to have, or a waste of money? As safe as I feel while on the ships, I always feel like I'm tempting fate leaving my phone, wallet and room key just hidden in my towel while swimming.

Thanks all, and Happy Cruising!

1. No.

2. Not that I know of, however I'd expect security to ask you to open it each time you board if they cannot 'see' inside of it.

3. I don't use one, but I'm not a solo traveler and normally have a group of at least 5 so there's always someone to watch our stuff. You'd probably want to chain it and then put it in a bag or cover it. Or just go with one of those KYSS bags that people are recommending.