Tipping in AUD or USD on RCI.

There are quite a few Aussies that cruise in Balcony cabins or better as well.

Depending on when you started cruising, getting status up with a cruise line is not that difficult with a cruise or two per year. BTW, Princess pizza is tops, there is no lowering involved to eat that.:D

Some Aussies do cruise in balcony cabins or suites (we have also done so), but on the American section, no-one admits to travelling in an inside cabin. I notice on Princess, that a lot of the regular cruises always book inside cabins. The rationale is that they can cruise more often.

When we started cruising with Princess 6-7 years ago we were 'Elite'. That level requires 151 nights to qualify and we were already in the mid 400s from cruises with P&O.:)

Depending on when you started cruising, getting status up with a cruise line is not that difficult with a cruise or two per year. BTW, Princess pizza is tops, there is no lowering involved to eat that.:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, Mic. :rolleyes: ;) We had a balcony on Solstice.

But you should read the Celebrity forum, it really does read like that. :eek: :D

I disagree with you about Princess pizza - worst pizza I've had in years. But I like true Neopolitan-style pizza and are lucky enough have one of the best pizzeria outside of Naples as my "local". YMMV.

Been listening to American feeds.

It's agonising to try and guess what is an appropriate amount to tip. Especially if you are like us and don't cruise so much. We do like to give an appropriate gift to room attendants by way of thanks for cleaning up after us for two weeks but working out the right balance of what is appropriate can be very confusing.

Please don't take anything these Americans post too seriously. They love to play the "Can You Top This?" game. I am cruising on the RCL Explorer from Sydney to New Zealand in two weeks. I picked an interior cabin so I could stay in Australia for an extra two weeks. There are many of us who will never see the inside of a suite but will continue to experience amazing cruises. Few of us are lavish tippers either. That being said, I am so looking forward to this trip. I know it will surely be a spectacular one.

Please don't take anything these Americans post too seriously. They love to play the "Can You Top This?" game. I am cruising on the RCL Explorer from Sydney to New Zealand in two weeks. I picked an interior cabin so I could stay in Australia for an extra two weeks. There are many of us who will never see the inside of a suite but will continue to experience amazing cruises. Few of us are lavish tippers either. That being said, I am so looking forward to this trip. I know it will surely be a spectacular one.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and really enjoy what Australia and NZ have to offer.:D

I bit the bullet and purchased some USD. The exchange rate was not good. Could I have just given service personnel Aussie dollars for extra tips? I prepaid my gratuities.

Cheers, Cheryl.

Bit late now?

Yes.

Two reasons really

1. in Aus they will need some on the days they go ashore

2. They have in board banking to send money home etc, and the system will convert it to whatever currency is needed anyway

Hope you enjoy your stay down under.

Have a wonderful cruise. We did an NZ cruise over Christmas. Tip - if you can find somewhere up forward to watch the sailaways from most of the ports, especially Port Chalmers. Beautiful scenery and fascinating to watch how the ship navigates the narrow harbour channels.

I have noticed the "Can you top this" game. ;) On tipping "I just slipped him an extra $100." ;) Oh yeah??

Been listening to American feeds.

Dont listen to the Americans when it comes to tipping, just sit back with the popcorn and watch them provide the entertainment as they all trip over each other in trying to out-tip one another!!!

When sailing during the Aussie cruise season, the crew know that most passengers will have prepaid the gratuities.

It's agonising to try and guess what is an appropriate amount to tip. Especially if you are like us and don't cruise so much. We do like to give an appropriate gift to room attendants by way of thanks for cleaning up after us for two weeks but working out the right balance of what is appropriate can be very confusing.

I don't know what ship you will be sailing on. If the gratuities are pre-paid you could just leave it at that or give a small ($20 or so) extra.

One some ships there are no auto-gratuities because they are not expected and the stewards etc. are paid at a much higher rate. Tip if you want to and I suggest you treat it the same way you would if you have pre-paid gratuities.

If neither of the above apply, maybe you should calculate a rate per day per passenger in your party. Keep in mind that on most ships, the gratuities are more than $10 pp pd.

If you get good service look around (or ask at the reception desk) for a card where you can commend your stewards. This helps them get future contracts and is worth a lot to them. :)

Edited by Aus Traveller

Omg - what have i done - I'm a first time aussie and I've booked a balcony cabin - will i be shunned by fellow aussies?

No - a lot of people, Aussies among them, only book balconies. :D Some keen cruisers who have the time to cruise often, prefer to book inside cabins (or book a 'guarantee') and cruise several times a year.

The comment I made earlier about Americans is that, if you believe what they post, they are virtually all in suites. :D:D

Omg - what have i done - I'm a first time aussie and I've booked a balcony cabin - will i be shunned by fellow aussies?

Welcome to cruise critic, and also to Australia:p

We prefer Balcony cabins but have cruised in inside cabins, Oceanview cabins, Concierge cabins and in Suites, it all depends on the cruise, the itinerary, purchase price and subsequent price drops (if any).:D

Never had a balcony. Always had ocean view. Have booked inside for Alaska in August (cruise tour package) and its an extra USD500 to upgrade to OV for 7 days!

Sorry, just realised it's a tipping topic.

Thanks for the warm welcome, i did deliberate for a long time and made many imaginary bookings inside and out before actually booking. But thanks for the advice on OBC, i was planning to buy USD for tipping so this is invaluable.