Do I still need FTTF with staggered check in & no tender ports?

cruisinqt

We are sailing the Breeze in March and I just received an email about staggered check ins for my cruise. We are going to Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, and Grand Turk. None of these ports need tenders. There are kiosks to manage my cruise account on the ship. And now we have early check in/ boarding scheduled. So do I really need FTTF? I'm wondering if this new staggered check in thing will will adversely effect FTTF sales.

No one really "needs" FTTF. It's a matter of personal choice. Hardly a week goes by that someone doesn't post on here "Is FTTF worth it?" What you have to do is look at the benefits of FTTF, then decide if it's something you would make use of. We like being able to board as early as possible on embarkation day, and, knowing that our cabin will be ready, we like being able to go drop off our carry-ons before heading to the buffet for lunch. It's also nice to be able to bypass the long line at Guest Services if we have something that needs to be taken care of. Do we "need" those (and other) benefits? No. Probably not. We cruised for 11 years without any of those benefits and managed. But, until we reach Platinum, it's nice to know that FTTF is an option that's available.

No one really "needs" FTTF. It's a matter of personal choice. Hardly a week goes by that someone doesn't post on here "Is FTTF worth it?" What you have to do is look at the benefits of FTTF, then decide if it's something you would make use of. We like being able to board as early as possible on embarkation day, and, knowing that our cabin will be ready, we like being able to go drop off our carry-ons before heading to the buffet for lunch. It's also nice to be able to bypass the long line at Guest Services if we have something that needs to be taken care of. Do we "need" those (and other) benefits? No. Probably not. We cruised for 11 years without any of those benefits and managed. But, until we reach Platinum, it's nice to know that FTTF is an option that's available.

Great post. I wish I could take it and pin it for all to see.

This was very helpful. Our cruise isn't for 15 months and we have one cruise on Carnival from 16 years ago so we won't be getting a higher status anytime soon! Thanks for this. I appreciated the explanation.

Chass

DH won't sail any more without FTTF!

It is not a matter of "need"! It is a matter of want!

We want to be on board early.

We want to be off the ship early.

We like having our cabin ready.

We like being able to speak to a person in the shorter line at guest services.

We like getting off easily at tender ports.

These are all things we are willing to pay extra to get but others may not be willing to spend their money for these services. It is an individual choice!

I would say no you don't need it and its not worth it. But that is my opinion. My cruise was last weekend and we boarded less than 10 minutes after the people with FTTF...those 10 mins aren't worth $50 to me. I have never needed the guest services desk in all of my 6 cruises and our luggage was at the room by 2pm.

Just to clarify, this isn't another one of those "is FTTF worth it?" type of posts. I'm sick of those too. Either you like FTTF or you don't. I've used it before and liked it.

What I was trying to say was do I really need it/is it worth it now that there's the new staggered check in, especially if you have all tender ports. Normally I wouldn't hesitate to get FTTF on most any cruise but this situation is unique.

Thanks for the input guys. 😀

How do you book FTTF? We'll be on the Magic in June and I don't see anything about FTTF when I look at my booking online.

"FTTF" (Faster to the Fun) will be listed under "Excursions" for your home port. Keep in mind, the cost is per cabin and NOT per person, so all in the same cabin will benefit from it.

"FTTF" (Faster to the Fun) will be listed under "Excursions" for your home port. Keep in mind, the cost is per cabin and NOT per person, so all in the same cabin will benefit from it.

I just checked and it shows sold out. Is there any chance more will become available later or are they all gone completely?

Just to clarify, this isn't another one of those "is FTTF worth it?" type of posts. I'm sick of those too. Either you like FTTF or you don't. I've used it before and liked it.

What I was trying to say was do I really need it/is it worth it now that there's the new staggered check in, especially if you have all tender ports. Normally I wouldn't hesitate to get FTTF on most any cruise but this situation is unique.

Thanks for the input guys.

Its staggered check in, not boarding. Even if you check in early you still will wait for zone boarding behind weddings G/D & FTTf

You won't be able to go to your cabin until they are ready

so you will have to lug your carry on's around until cabin is ready.

(if you follow rules)

It really depends if it's worth it to you.

Edited by Bases5

This is true it's early check in not boarding. But you have to check in before you're allowed to board. So it would be reasonable to assume that if you're checking in at the earliest time possible you will board at the earliest time possible. And even when I've had FTTF I've always had to wait for wedding parties, gold, platinum, and diamond members anyways. This would just add one more group (FTTF) that would board before me. And it's a limited number group and not all of them will show up super early.

And we don't lug our carryons around. We bring our swimsuits and hang out at the pool. I'm fine watching the luggage and enjoying a " kiss on the lips" while people watching. No lugging just chugging lol. I'm thinking I'll just pass on the FTTF for this cruise because of the staggered check in and no tenders. I'll just use that $$$ on foofoo drinks. 🍺🍸🍹🍻

I just checked and it shows sold out. Is there any chance more will become available later or are they all gone completely?

It seems like they are constantly offering more FTTF. Most people who want it and are willing to check for it daily will get it. Some believe that the number is restricted, but I have yet to see a specific number (added to the number of P/D's) that they sell. Good luck and be persistent.

This is true it's early check in not boarding. But you have to check in before you're allowed to board. So it would be reasonable to assume that if you're checking in at the earliest time possible you will board at the earliest time possible. And even when I've had FTTF I've always had to wait for wedding parties, gold, platinum, and diamond members anyways. This would just add one more group (FTTF) that would board before me. And it's a limited number group and not all of them will show up super early.

And we don't lug our carryons around. We bring our swimsuits and hang out at the pool. I'm fine watching the luggage and enjoying a " kiss on the lips" while people watching. No lugging just chugging lol. I'm thinking I'll just pass on the FTTF for this cruise because of the staggered check in and no tenders. I'll just use that $$$ on foofoo drinks. 🍺🍸🍹🍻

Good for you. I'm releaved you have made up your mind.

We have never used it. Heck that's 1 hand of blackjack

We love FTTF. It's nice to board, go to your room and unload your carry-ons. Usually while we are there our other luggage arrives so we are unpacked and on the Lido by Noon. HOWEVER....the main reason I find it most beneficial is we cruise with our DS, who will be 10 on our September cruise. It's easier to watch him swim/waterslide/dance/have fun when we don't have to worry about watching carry-ons too. If it weren't for him, we'd not pay the $$ for FTTF. If you have children I highly recommend it, but as stated by other posters, the 15-20 minute head start on boarding is not really worth it, especially with the new staggered check-in. Just my 2 cents.....

I think it's totally personal preference. We've never had FTTF in the past and worked ok for tendered ports. However, on 2 cruises we waited in line at guest services about an hour each time. One was to get permission for balcony divider open and others were for wrong charges. After last time DH said we pay for FTTF. Now with staggered check in I want it so we can check in whenever we arrive and not be worried about getting there too early. I've already purchased for next cruise. We'll see how it goes.