MDR a la carte Menu

100th Meridian

I think the MDR should be free. If it's served there, it should be included. That just seems wrong on some level. I don't care for this trend of instituting lots of add-ons, even if they are optional. Others will disagree, which is fine...but if it's in the MDR....there shouldn't be an added cost.

I think the MDR should be free. If it's served there, it should be included. That just seems wrong on some level. I don't care for this trend of instituting lots of add-ons, even if they are optional. Others will disagree, which is fine...but if it's in the MDR....there shouldn't be an added cost.

I agree with you completely.

It's not hurting anyone being there. The same MDR menu exists whether or not they include an upcharge item. The only difference is some people might like the up charge item and actually order it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not hurting anyone being there. The same MDR menu exists whether or not they include an upcharge item. The only difference is some people might like the up charge item and actually order it.

Agreed - no different than having up-charge beverages beyond the included drinks. Nothing new here, just more options.

The problem is that these items are not additional choices. These are items that used to be on the MDR menus. Not every night but sometimes. A la carte in the MDR with items that used to be included is just a very poor decision by NCL no matter how you look at it.

The upcharge items aren't additional options; they are items that used to be included in the cruise fare and served in the MDR (perhaps portion size or presentation is altered slightly, but still...)

Since the MDR is NOT a specialty restaurant, and these upcharge items are not labeled as being from a specialty restaurant, is there a separate 18% gratuity charged if you order a la carte in the MDR?

I wonder if passengers would choose to have the upcharge items on the MDR menu or prefer for those items not be available at all. I would bet that if they are not an upcharge item, they would not be on the menu. I say keep them as upcharge items and let people decide if they want to purchase them or not.

Does anyone know of the Strip-loin steaks that used to be on the part of the menu that didn't change each night are still there and free of charge. They where always listed in a section under the appetizers on the left hand side of the menus - NCL favorites of something like that

Edited by lachelli

I wonder if passengers would choose to have the upcharge items on the MDR menu or prefer for those items not be available at all.

I would prefer they not be offered. What I see, and perhaps it's industry-wide, is a lessening of the experience. Much like Spirit Airlines, where they have a cheap fare, but it only includes your a$$ and gas. I wouldn't fly with them. Those marketing tactics don't appeal to me. I'd rather they just increase the fare and keep things simple. More choices doesn't always equal a better experience or outcome. But, if you like it...I'm fine with that, too. I know that companies make decisions all the time to try to increase revenue. Some I may like and some I may not like.

Eh, either way, we have a cruise booked for September....and I'm really looking forward to it.

I agree.

Too much confusion. I'm in the group of folks that likes to pay my fare and then not accrue any further charges.

If these are items that used to be standard, even more disturbing.

I wonder if passengers would choose to have the upcharge items on the MDR menu or prefer for those items not be available at all. I would bet that if they are not an upcharge item, they would not be on the menu. I say keep them as upcharge items and let people decide if they want to purchase them or not.

OverYourHead.PNG

Does anyone know of the Strip-loin steaks that used to be on the part of the menu that didn't change each night are still there and free of charge. They where always listed in a section under the appetizers on the left hand side of the menus - NCL favorites of something like that

There is an every day steak available on the menu

There is an every day steak available on the menu

I have just noticed that on a menu from the Breakaway, but it looks like they have changed it to a cheaper cut of beef, On the Epic last November you could order a 12 oz New York strip if you wanted every night, that was of good quality and well cooked and I doubt that anyone would pay for a a steak in the MDr if that was still being offered for free

The upcharge items are a great addition to the MDR menu. I you don't want to buy it (just like the "drink of the day"), you don't have to. Give the option of getting something special without dragging the whole family to a specialty restaurant.

Great Change!

The upcharge items are a great addition to the MDR menu. I you don't want to buy it (just like the "drink of the day"), you don't have to. Give the option of getting something special without dragging the whole family to a specialty restaurant.

Great Change!

In 2014 all the items for an upcharge were complimentary, at least a version of them. That's like saying the drink of the day is now water, but you don't have to buy it. :D

I see your point though; at least it's there in case one person in a party wants it without spending the full amount for specialty for everyone.

Edited by LMaxwell

I looked at the new MDR Menus on the Escape and I agree, it seems the strip loin has been replaced with steak frites. The striploin was my go to meal when I couldn't find something else. They also got rid of the bolognese pasta. I am not a fan of the new menus. It looks like cheaper food to me.

In 2014 all the items for an upcharge were complimentary, at least a version of them. That's like saying the drink of the day is now water, but you don't have to buy it. :D

I see your point though; at least it's there in case one person in a party wants it without spending the full amount for specialty for everyone.

Things change. If you can still go to the MDR and have a complimentary dinner, things are still good. Back in the day when we first started cursing, you use to have to "rent" lounge chairs on deck. Things change, you only have to "rent" lounge chairs in the Vibe now.

I've seen the new MDR menus, which made me curious if any has bothered with the a la carte. You can get what probably is an 8 ounce or so cut of sirloin off the menu for no additional cost, but maybe if you wanted a bigger and better cut, you may be willing to pay the up charge. If Cagney's is going to run you $30 or so, maybe it would be more worthwhile the spend just the $15 for prime rib (if the steak is something you would get at Cagney's) and regular apps/sides.

It's been 7 years since I was last on NCL, and am going back in a week. Generally steak is my fall back in case there wasn't something from the featured menu that I like. I had no issues with steak ordered on previous cruises on NCL, but it has been a while and I am curious if it there is that much of the difference between the two.

I don't have a Specialty Dining package, so will be hitting up the MDR's nightly. I might be willing to splurge one night for the prime rib, but only if it was worth it.

While I bemoan for-fee items slowly creeping onto cruise line MDR menus, it seems to be the wave of the future. While these items may be things that may have been included in past, the quality of said items often was not that great.

I have rarely gotten a piece of "Prime Rib" that is anything better than ok. Usually it has been a thin, flavorless, cool piece of rib roast served with a mystery liquid made to look like au jus. The same could be said of the tough, small warm water lobster tails that have been served for years. In my opinion neither of these items were ever more than ok, and definitely not special or memorable.

I have been cruising regularly for 20 years, and yes the quality of many things has been cutback, including some of the niceties once considered standard. That said the ships have become increasingly more amenity filled and diverse in choice. The base fare I pay has not changed much (especially when adjusted for inflation), and in some cases one could argue that cruising has never been more affordable.

I would prefer they not be offered. What I see, and perhaps it's industry-wide, is a lessening of the experience. Much like Spirit Airlines, where they have a cheap fare, but it only includes your a$$ and gas. I wouldn't fly with them. Those marketing tactics don't appeal to me. I'd rather they just increase the fare and keep things simple. More choices doesn't always equal a better experience or outcome. But, if you like it...I'm fine with that, too. I know that companies make decisions all the time to try to increase revenue. Some I may like and some I may not like.

Eh, either way, we have a cruise booked for September....and I'm really looking forward to it.

Recently flew Spirit round trip Dallas to Vegas in large front seat akin to first class with my carry on for under $200. Works for me.

Edited by DMH15