Alcohol prices on Australian based Princess ships.

NSWP

Hi sorry to tag onto your post but maybe you can help me....

I understand that Dawn Princess has an all inclusive drinks package but do they offer another package of say '7 bottles of wine for $x' once you get on board? We will be travelling in August.

We have only travelled with HAL and they have this option.

Just off the Dawn Princess 4 weeks ago, sadly no Wine package, have had them on the Diamond and the Sapphire Princess, but that was before the Drink packages were introduced.

We took 12 bottles of wine onboard with us, two were corkage free, so paid $15 corkage per bottle for 10 and it still worked out cheaper than buying onboard and we drank the wines we liked.

Edited by cheznandy

Premium cocktails were around $A14 last week on Sun P. A G&T was less than $10 from memory. Having a quick look over menus on the P & O ships they look to be more expensive. P&O UK seemed to charge of for the mixer on top of the spirit which made their drinks quite expensive. The se prices pale though in comparison to the Intercontinental Hotel in Sydney where a basic Cosmopolitan cocktail was $25.00. And I had more than one :eek:

During our recent Carnival Spirit cruise I noted a higher price for drinks than on Dawn Princess. Although they did have 5 night wine packages, which were still the usual cruise line ripoff. eg a Clare valley Riesling for $58.00 that sells at Dan Murphy's for $16.00.

JW Black Label Scotch & Soda DP $10.00 CS $12.00

Beer was 1-2 $ dearer on CS.

3 Steps Shiraz DP $33.00 CS $41.00

This was the general trend for drinks on Carnival Spirit.

Premium cocktails were around $A14 last week on Sun P. A G&T was less than $10 from memory. Having a quick look over menus on the P & O ships they look to be more expensive. P&O UK seemed to charge of for the mixer on top of the spirit which made their drinks quite expensive. The se prices pale though in comparison to the Intercontinental Hotel in Sydney where a basic Cosmopolitan cocktail was $25.00. And I had more than one :eek:

The Brit spirit standard pour' is 25ml, you can hardly see it in the glass, at least on P&O UK like that. Princess ships operating from the Americas have a 50ml standard pour. Not sure about Princess/P&O here.

The Brit spirit standard pour' is 25ml, you can hardly see it in the glass, at least on P&O UK like that. Princess ships operating from the Americas have a 50ml standard pour. Not sure about Princess/P&O here.

I think you had a choice of volume on P&O UK - the standard (small) and a larger one. The Princess ones here I think are a 50ml pour as well which is about 1.5 times an Aust standard.

I was on an RCI one once where it seemed to be free pour - and boy were they free! Knocked your head off!

Edited by Aussieflyer

Morning all, with the Dawn /Sun/Sea/Diamond Princesses and soon Emerald Princess having AUD as on board currency and no tipping, has anyone noticed if bar prices, e.g. beer, spirits, wine, cocktails, have risen in price to compensate for the USD/AUD comparison and no 15% gratuity on drinks? Surely they must have.

When did the 15% gratuity disappear-I was onboard at Christmas and it was still there?

When did the 15% gratuity disappear-I was onboard at Christmas and it was still there?

If your cruise was not Australian based, you would have still had the gratuities. My understanding was that if the onboard charges are in $A then the grats are all included; if in $US then they are added.

I think you had a choice of volume on P&O UK - the standard (small) and a larger one. The Princess ones here I think are a 50ml pour as well which is about 1.5 times an Aust standard.

I was on an RCI one once where it seemed to be free pour - and boy were they free! Knocked your head off!

Wow yep,gotta love those free pours.Triple wammy.

Which is interesting,our golden cruise coming up beijing/aus is AUD,currency,no grats, etc etc.But we still cant justify $65 a day AIBP,$3000 worth.And believe me we can knock them back.Port intensive first 10 days,then a free for all last 15,lots of sea days.Still trying to do the math.Maybe we are just slow i n g down.

Wow yep,gotta love those free pours.Triple wammy.

Which is interesting,our golden cruise coming up beijing/aus is AUD,currency,no grats, etc etc.But we still cant justify $65 a day AIBP,$3000 worth.And believe me we can knock them back.Port intensive first 10 days,then a free for all last 15,lots of sea days.Still trying to do the math.Maybe we are just slow i n g down.

As a non drinker I might be wrong, but I though AIBP was $59 A day, won't save you much but a bit.

Remember those packages include non-alcoholic items also.

The freshly squeezed orange juice with breakfast is very nice.

If you are a coffee lover I'll almost guarantee you will hate the brewed swill which passes for free coffee.

Bottled water, which you will need to take ashore on all your port days. 1-2 bottles per person.

And seriously think about how you typically consume alcohol onboard on port days.

Do you like a refreshing cocktail or a beer as soon as you get back on the ship?

A cocktail before dinner?

How many glasses of wine would you drink with dinner?

Do you like an after dinner drink - a digestive, a liqueur, a "dessert" cocktail ie a creamy one like a brandy alexander or Princess's famous key lime pie martini?

It doesn't take long to rack up $59 on your drinks bill per person per day.

As a non drinker I might be wrong, but I though AIBP was $59 A day, won't save you much but a bit.

This one is $64.90,per day per person.

The coffee will nudge it along though.

Sweet jesus,seriously we are slowing down and feeling it.

Might save the A.I.B.P for the feb cruise to those islands.:):)

Yes, it is but the stupid personalizer gets it wrong. Buy onboard and it is only $59.

Yeah seems like the web site thinks it's $59!US - then applies the enhance rate.

Same problem with the shaft drink package, crazy how bad cruising sites are.

Where do you see that cost? In your personalizer? Trust me, that is WRONG!

"This is what the Princess website says.

All-Inclusive Beverage Package - Australia

On select Australia voyages; the All-Inclusive Beverage Package is only available on voyages 8 nights and longer. Enjoy the convenience of our All-inclusive Package featuring any drink up to $14 AUD including cocktails, spirits, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 AUD retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Excludes in-room services, souvenir, mini-bar and vending machine items. Terms and conditions may apply. Item #2419 $59.00 AUD per person/per day"

First 10 days

per/person

2 coffs,2 waters,2 drinks maybe 4 drinks.=$50.00 vs $65.00

last 15 days

1 coff,2 waters,10 drinks =$110 vs $65.00

first 10 days = $500vs $650

Last 15 days= $1650vs$975

= $$2150vs$1625

Yep $525 per person in the black.

Damn back to the drawing board.

Personiliser says

All-Inclusive Beverage PackageAU$64.90 per person, per day

Enjoy the convenience of our All-inclusive Package featuring any drink up to $14 including cocktails, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Excludes in-room services, souvenir, mini-bar and vending machine items

This was copied and pasted/

Edited by mrs and mrs

Personiliser says

All-Inclusive Beverage PackageAU$64.90 per person, per day

Enjoy the convenience of our All-inclusive Package featuring any drink up to $14 including cocktails, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Excludes in-room services, souvenir, mini-bar and vending machine items

This was copied and pasted/

As OZkiwi has stated, your cruise personaliser is wrong.

My planner at Princess confirmed it before our recent Princess cruise, and it was confirmed onboard with the price of $59AUD.

Lots of passengers getting refunded the difference they had paid online.

No advantage of purchasing the package online if cruising on an OZ based ship when the package is in AUD.

We have 3 future Princess cruises booked and they all show differing prices for the package in the personaliser:rolleyes:

So back to the drawing board for you:p

Not when sailing to and from Aus,.

I have only sailed on Princess ships for the last 6 years out of Melbourne to NZ and there has always been a gratuity automatically added for bar staff which is why we've never tipped them.

Trish

K so weird. For my upcoming Sun Princess round Australia (Syd - Syd), the personaliser says:

All-Inclusive Beverage Package AU$73.75 per person, per day

Enjoy the convenience of our All-inclusive Package featuring any drink up to $14 including cocktails, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Excludes in-room services, souvenir, mini-bar and vending machine items.

(Copy/pasted.)

My personaliser is even more wrong then!!

Or lots of sea days, so they expect we would drink way more than if it was a port intensive, so bump the price up. Hope it is $59 AUD on board.

And what is the real cost of the soda and more package?

K so weird. For my upcoming Sun Princess round Australia (Syd - Syd), the personaliser says:

Enjoy the convenience of our All-inclusive Package featuring any drink up to $14 including cocktails, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Excludes in-room services, souvenir, mini-bar and vending machine items.

(Copy/pasted.)

My personaliser is even more wrong then!!

Or lots of sea days, so they expect we would drink way more than if it was a port intensive, so bump the price up. Hope it is $59 AUD on board.

And what is the real cost of the soda and more package?

When I had it in Nov $7 a day.

It appears to depend on what USD- AUD exchange rate the Princess website thinks you are eligible for, and that depends on when you booked.

My personalizer also shows this amount. I'm just going to wait until we board to buy the package.

When I had it in Nov $7 a day.

Should have said, at that time it was about $8.65 in the personaliser.

:rolleyes: And you also should have said that was the soda package, not the All Inclusive Beverage Package. :rolleyes:

But a good example on the pricing errors. :)