The Istanbul Conundrum

chrismakris

Mike, I'd honestly be surprised if you do. I was on Constellation in September last year before even trouble in Istanbul and we were supposed to overnight there the first night, but they cancelled it a month before and added Soudha, Crete. Part of the issue if they overnight is they have to run tours which at the moment they don't want to do.

Phil

Thanks for that info Phil. I would rather go to Crete than vernight in Istanbul; since we will be there for 4 nights pre-cruise and we are only in port until 1:00 PM after the overnight.

Hi Ed,

I do hope you get to do the overnight in July, since we will be on the Constellation with LFC2 in October, and hope that we will have the extra night in Istanbul.

When we booked our cruise, we knew that any of the ports could be cancelled if there was a security risk. I have no concern at all for the ports we will be visiting; but my wife is not as comfortable. We do know that if there is a serious risk that Celebrity will make a change if necessary; but they will probably wait until much closer to the sailing date to make a decision. I would hate for them to make a decision based on isolated events in Istanbul.

I think you are going to be out of luck. Celebrity came out late last year cancelling all overnighters , in fact removing Istanbul from the programme for 2016 apart from cruises starting and finishing in Istanbul. There is a sticky to this effect on the CC Celebrity forum. We are on the April Connie cruise which was originally to Istanbul but has been changed. Disappointed but C'est la vie

Crystal cruises are now out of Turkey.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-5/news/news.cfm?ID=6754

We are booked on the Connie for October 21. Have not made air or tour plans yet. I have a feeling that Israel will be cancelled on our itinerary. If it is, the cruise will turn into a Greek island cruise which we did last year. I would love to go to Istanbul but can't see just booking a cruise because of the embarking port if we have been to the other ports and don't care to return. I just wish that if Celebrity is anticipating an itinerary change they do it sooner more than later so we would know what ports the ship will be stopping. Last year when Istanbul was cancelled as an overnight on the Reflection we didn't have a lot of notice.

Hi Ed,

I do hope you get to do the overnight in July, since we will be on the Constellation with LFC2 in October, and hope that we will have the extra night in Istanbul.

We hope so also, without the overnight, we have no "cushion". :)

If I was booked on any cruise ship that has Istanbul or Israel as part of an itinerary I would ensure that I have very good travel insurance cover already in place in case there is a last minute cancellation of ports and one needs to go looking for a refund. The closer one leaves it to sail away the greater the chances are that an insurance company may void any claims on the basis that the passenger was aware of a possibility of a cancellation and thus should have notified the insurance company. 10 months out however the passenger cannot be held accountable for what may happen later.

I will be on the Connie sailing that leaves Oct 10th sailing that arrives in Istanbul for an overnight before debarking the next day. With all the events that are unfortunately happening there is a small discussion on our thread as to what might happen.

From what I can gather there are four possible outcomes:

1) Keep the itinerary the same.

2) Change the overnight to Athens and debark Istanbul as planned

3) Add an extra stop (my assumption would be Valletta or Santorini) and debark in Istanbul without an overnight

4) Add an extra stop and overnight in Athens and debark there.

I believe that #3 is going to happen. Which do you believe is the most likely solution.

I'm booked on the August 25th sailing on Equinox from Athens to Istanbul. We were originally scheduled to overnight and disembark in Istanbul, but a month or two ago we were informed that we would still disembark in Istanbul, but would not overnight. Our overnight was changed to the first night of the cruise in Athens.

I would say to anyone who has a cruise booked for 2016 that calls in Turkey or Israel and would be majorly disappointed or angry if the cruiseline cancelled those stops, to look other vacation options to see those places now. The cruise lines are not going to endanger their passengers, crew or ships. This means they may cancel any port or itinerary and maybe not until the last minute. Personally I would not book a cruise to Israel for this year. You never know when there is going to be a flare up of violence forcing a port cancellation. If I wanted to visit Israel this year, I'd book a land based visit.

We were booked on the 6/11/16 cruise from Athens to Istanbul and with a very heavy heart I canceled today. The main reason we chose this itinerary was the overnight in Istanbul, which has been on my bucket list for many years. The overnight in Istanbul was taken away about a month ago. Given the recent bombing in the tourist area of Istanbul, I suspect Istanbul may be removed from the itinerary all together. We have been to Athens multiple times and are not thrilled about an overnight in this port. Given the uncertainty of the itinerary I have been reluctant to book our flights and decided we'll just do this another time when the area is a bit more stable and we can rely on the itinerary remaining the same. I hope everyone going to this area has a wonderful time! :)

We were booked on the 6/11/16 cruise from Athens to Istanbul and with a very heavy heart I canceled today. The main reason we chose this itinerary was the overnight in Istanbul, which has been on my bucket list for many years. The overnight in Istanbul was taken away about a month ago. Given the recent bombing in the tourist area of Istanbul, I suspect Istanbul may be removed from the itinerary all together. We have been to Athens multiple times and are not thrilled about an overnight in this port. Given the uncertainty of the itinerary I have been reluctant to book our flights and decided we'll just do this another time when the area is a bit more stable and we can rely on the itinerary remaining the same. I hope everyone going to this area has a wonderful time! :)

Just a note that if Istanbul is where the cruise starts or ends it really cannot be changed. Doing so would cost Celebrity MILLIONs as the complete travel plans for thousands and thousands would need to be changed. This cost and the huge effort to do it make that almost an impossibility. Totally understand your feeling. Personally I would visit Istanbul again tomorrow and spend a week.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/cruiselog/2016/01/22/norwegian-regent-seven-seas-oceania-cruises-cancels-all-turkey-port-calls-2016/79130430/

A lot of cruise lines are bailing, cant see how Celebrity is standing still?

Just a note that if Istanbul is where the cruise starts or ends it really cannot be changed. Doing so would cost Celebrity MILLIONs as the complete travel plans for thousands and thousands would need to be changed. This cost and the huge effort to do it make that almost an impossibility. Totally understand your feeling. Personally I would visit Istanbul again tomorrow and spend a week.

Just a note that if Istanbul is where the cruise starts or ends it really cannot be changed. Doing so would cost Celebrity MILLIONs as the complete travel plans for thousands and thousands would need to be changed. This cost and the huge effort to do it make that almost an impossibility........

It's not something that worries them when a charter takes over a ship and they end up cancelling everyone else's booking.

Couldn't they just end up cancelling the cruise? If bookings are down because of people's understandable concern it might not be that big a problem. They could even fly people who have purchased a celebrity-air package to a new starting point.

I would love to go in early. But, we will have to see.

Ed,

If you recall last August, we were the first cruise that X changed the overnight in Istanbul (where we embarked). We didn't find out until the day before we left that the ship would be sailing on the first night (losing our overnighter - think sailaway was around 10pm ish). I'm glad we flew in the day before and saw some of the sights - it's a great city. Hopefully, obviously taking safety into consideration, you'll have a chance to at least experience some parts of this wonderful place :);).

Jenny

Crystal cruises are now out of Turkey.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-5/news/news.cfm?ID=6754

We are booked on the Connie for October 21. Have not made air or tour plans yet. I have a feeling that Israel will be cancelled on our itinerary. If it is, the cruise will turn into a Greek island cruise which we did last year. I would love to go to Istanbul but can't see just booking a cruise because of the embarking port if we have been to the other ports and don't care to return. I just wish that if Celebrity is anticipating an itinerary change they do it sooner more than later so we would know what ports the ship will be stopping. Last year when Istanbul was cancelled as an overnight on the Reflection we didn't have a lot of notice.

We were on this and had to cancel. Our problem was not with the cruise but with the attached land tour in Turkey prior to sailing. We were to have spent several days in Ankara and when the 100 people were killed, DH won the battle to cancel. He had been concerned before but I'd seen no reason to miss out on the bucket list trip to Istanbul, Cappadocia, and Ankara. I only wished we'd gone several years ago when we first had the opportunity. I would not hesitate to travel to Israel. Security there is excellent and while there have been some incidents, one is not free of risk anywhere. Lesson learned was go when you can and don't put off until a future year as none of us know what the future will bring, with our own health or with the world situation.

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of weeks. Will be following closely since we are on the reflection aug 8th. Hope that it doesnt take too long for celebrity to make a decision about other turkey ports.

If one is that worried about travelling abroad then my advice is to stay at home, but where in the USA for example is anyone safe, with a mass shooting somewhere in the States everyday over the past year and we have had a mass shooting in Canada only last week. Should we cross the USA and Canada off our tourism list. Should we scrub Paris and London off our list , both these cities have been recipients of mass terrorism.

Time for some people to start building their concrete bunkers again, not against a nuclear attack these days but the off chance a terrorist may pass by and either shoot you or blow himself up.

Sorry not for this kiwi.

If one is that worried about travelling abroad then my advice is to stay at home, but where in the USA for example is anyone safe, with a mass shooting somewhere in the States everyday over the past year and we have had a mass shooting in Canada only last week. Should we cross the USA and Canada off our tourism list. Should we scrub Paris and London off our list , both these cities have been recipients of mass terrorism.

Time for some people to start building their concrete bunkers again, not against a nuclear attack these days but the off chance a terrorist may pass by and either shoot you or blow himself up.

Sorry not for this kiwi.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to cross the US off of your list since you think there are mass shootings here everyday.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

Sorry not for this kiwi.

I think for some it is less about being scared that they will be in mortal danger but more a concern about booking a cruise at significant expense including certain ports only to have the cruise changed significantly at short notice / late in the day to include ports that they have no interest in going to.

We would love to do an Eastern Med Cruise but are reluctant to book a cruise featuring interesting ports in Turkey when, at the moment, we think its likely that it it will change and who knows where we will end up and how many overnights will be thrown in