Library on the Caribbean Princess

anteaters

Hi! For those of you who use the ships' libraries for your books, you know that the libraries really vary. For anyone who has been on recently, does the Caribbean have the "honor system" where books are available for check-out all day long or is it where you have to check out books during short periods during the day? Also, is it a pretty good library in terms of fiction? We are going to have a lot of sea days on our coming cruise and I want to make sure that I have plenty of novels available whether they're from the library or just what I bring myself. Thanks!

The library is small, and very limited. I would suggest that you load up your kindle , or

bring paperback books. We used to use paperback books and leave then on

the ship, as they had a book exchange set up. Haven't seen one lately though.

Although I now own an e-reader, I would never presume that everyone does. Before I bought mine, I used to bring a few paperback books with me and then would exchange them in the ships library. People are always dropping off their paperbacks so you should be able to find something to read. Also they have quite a few books that you can check out while on the cruise. There should be a sign in the library as to what hours someone is there to help you, but also I believe it is the honor system so that you can check out books on your own. I love curling up with a good book on sea days. Skywalkers is always a nice quiet place to enjoy the view, read a little, nap a little and start the process all over again.

Sailed Caribbean Princess first week in December.

The library is on an honor system. The bookshelves are all of one wall of the room and maybe 2 sets of shelves on another wall. There is a decent collection, but as we all have different tastes, it is hard to predict. There was plenty to keep me occupied.

On the long wall, one set of shelves has games. A second set has paperback books that were left by passengers. You are welcome to deposit anything you don't want to take home and/or "trade" for something that someone else left as well as to borrow something to read while on board. This shelf tended to be primarily one genre and not much of interest to me.

Honestly, I was pleased with the library. It wasn't huge, but the books with the "property of Princess" tags were a wide variety of hardbacks in good condition. It was more than I'd seen on other ships. If you have an e-reader and want to load it up, go for it....if you aren't too picky, you'll find something in the library. It does change during the week as things are returned and others picked up.

New to cruising on the Caribbean Princess when she was new, I did not know what to expect of the library, and was incredibly disappointed. The hours were limited, and so were the books. I was very happy that I brought my own.

Since you haven't been on Caribbean Princess since 2007 (according to your signature on CC), you should know that the libraries on Princess ships all seem to be on the honor system now. You can go in and pick up a book at any time since the doors are unlocked on the shelves. There is a notebook to sign out your book, but many people take far too many books leaving little for others to read. Taking an e-reader fully loaded is your best bet!

Since you haven't been on Caribbean Princess since 2007 (according to your signature on CC), you should know that the libraries on Princess ships all seem to be on the honor system now. You can go in and pick up a book at any time since the doors are unlocked on the shelves. There is a notebook to sign out your book, but many people take far too many books leaving little for others to read. Taking an e-reader fully loaded is your best bet!

Thank you, I did gather that from a previous post. I still feel however, that the library was woefully lacking in books. And sadly, e readers leave me cold. Love the feel of a REAL book in my hands, even if I have to lug four or five.

We were on the Caribbean in Oct/Nov and I was really disappointed in the library. It is located in the internet café and a lot of the shelves were empty and what selection they had wasn't that good. I usually look at the book exchange and I didn't find much on this cruise. The books are checked out on the honor system and I never saw anyone manning a desk at the library. I was glad I brought a couple of books with me. When I finished them and left them in the exchange section they were snapped up immediately.

Thanks so much for your replies to my question. It sounds like you have to be kind of lucky to be certain of finding good books. I do always bring my kindle but I also love the feel of a real book in my hands. I usually bring two or more paperbacks with me to read at the airport and on the ship and then leave them in the library. But I also like to check out some. I love sitting out on the balcony or elsewhere on the ship and reading a good book while keeping a lookout toward the ocean for the potential whale, dolphin, or flying fish ;) . When luggage space is limited, it's nice to know that there are also good books available on board. So, I guess I'll do my usual kindle, bring books, and hopefully check out/trade a few combination.

We were on the Caribbean in Oct/Nov and I was really disappointed in the library. It is located in the internet café and a lot of the shelves were empty and what selection they had wasn't that good. I usually look at the book exchange and I didn't find much on this cruise. The books are checked out on the honor system and I never saw anyone manning a desk at the library. I was glad I brought a couple of books with me. When I finished them and left them in the exchange section they were snapped up immediately.

That was my experience too. Couldn't call it a library at all.:(

Maybe people should check the loungers around the pool where they would probably find a great selection of Princess books used to reserve pool chairs.....:D:D:D

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

They have stopped giving out bookmarks on all princess ships.That's really getting cheap.

long cruiser

I work in a library and you would be surprised at the cost of the little nothing bookmarks! We decided this year to stop ordering them. Sounds silly, but...

I work in a library and you would be surprised at the cost of the little nothing bookmarks! We decided this year to stop ordering them. Sounds silly, but...

I hear you about expenses but it's still being a little cheap especially whey they throw out hundreds of photo's every cruise, send out flyers that people just throw out as fast as they come & dump dozens of meals because people didn't like the taste. :rolleyes:

Guess we were the "bad guys." We went down to the library shortly after boarding and got 2 books each. I do agree that the selection got a little thin in the middle of the cruise and then got a lot better toward the end.

As to needing a bookmark--there are plenty of stray papers left in my room or I can grab one of the suduko forms and use that. I'm not picky about what marks my place as long as it doesn't damage the book.

Guess we were the "bad guys." We went down to the library shortly after boarding and got 2 books each. I do agree that the selection got a little thin in the middle of the cruise and then got a lot better toward the end.

As to needing a bookmark--there are plenty of stray papers left in my room or I can grab one of the suduko forms and use that. I'm not picky about what marks my place as long as it doesn't damage the book.

Taking two books each sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

With the advent of technology and practically everyone having tablet/smartphone etc. isn't a ships library dated and the real estate be used for something more productive? This from a big reader, who has never used one on 20+ cruises

Edited by MrMan

With the advent of technology and practically everyone having tablet/smartphone etc. isn't a ships library dated and the real estate be used for something more productive? This from a big reader.

No, I don't agree. In fact, I so much don't agree that I will not cruise on one particular ship that does not even have a bookshelf as others on their line do.

I like the feel of a book. Yes, I can download stuff to a kindle or other product, but I often choose to not bring my electronics on a ship. I like to go into the library and browse; on line browsing just doesn't cut it.

Frankly the library space on the Caribbean Princess is more generous than what I'm used to on other lines, but I'm glad they do it. And as we look at various lines/ships, the library is a plus.

I think two books each is reasonable also. Some folks take 8 or 10 each and that is the problem. They keep them the entire cruise and bring them back the day before the cruise ends. No one else can read them!

I also use a piece of paper or invitation to an art auction (which I no longer attend since Park West took over) as a bookmark. I have some of the old bookmarks in my nightstand drawer and could pack one of them next cruise, for "old time's sake". :D

A couple of weeks ago there was also a Book Club. I didn't go get the book of the week but talked to some people that did. Not sure how they choose the book and if it's the same for awhile or not.

There was a shelf of multiple copies of the book club book--Princess picks it in advance so they can have copies on board. No idea how they choose. The book didn't appeal to me, so I didn't participate. Sorry, don't remember what it was.

There was also an area of "previous book club books" with several copies of each of those but not nearly as many as the current book club book.