13 days ? Time to call for upsell?

Pat

Hi, I really want to know how do they determine the upsell price for each customer, it looks like they offer different price. My only assumption would be base on the price each customer paid. Is it correct?

Yes, they have a "bottom line" price they are willing to accept for the cabins they are trying to sell. They subtract what you have already paid from that price and the difference between the two numbers is the offer they will make.

I have a dumb question. Well, maybe not dumb, but it might make me seem greedy [emoji15]. Is it possible to get an upsell if you are sailing on a comp from CAS? We had a comped inside and paid to upgrade to a balcony, and I was just wondering if it will be worth taking a shot and calling if it looks like there are suites or mini-suites available a couple of weeks before sailing, or if they do not offer up sells on CAS reservations. I would really appreciate if anyone could share any experience with this!

We had a CAS comped inside which we paid to upgrade to a balcony mid ship. Today we called CAS and upgraded the balcony to the most aft balcony which gives you a 180 degree view. It cost $285.00 more. This is for an April 3-10 sailing. The way to find out if there is an available cabin in the category you want is to check the NCL site and do a mock reservation. Then see which cabin you want and call CAS and they will tell you the cost of the upgrade. We made our original reservation last Oct. and made final payment a couple of weeks ago. So this was an additional upsell cost.

I booked our first ever cruise last night!

Western Caribbean 7 nights inside cabin. I booked through the NCL.co.uk website. I did ring them today about another issue (I made a big mistake in thinking the drinks package had been included, I will post a new thread about it!)

Anyway, can you get a "upsell" price if you have booked from the UK? I would love to upgrade to a balcony but it was £900 ($1200) more expensive for 2 adults, seems quite a lot to me.

Looks like I have a lot to learn about our new adventures :)

We had a CAS comped inside which we paid to upgrade to a balcony mid ship. Today we called CAS and upgraded the balcony to the most aft balcony which gives you a 180 degree view. It cost $285.00 more. This is for an April 3-10 sailing. The way to find out if there is an available cabin in the category you want is to check the NCL site and do a mock reservation. Then see which cabin you want and call CAS and they will tell you the cost of the upgrade. We made our original reservation last Oct. and made final payment a couple of weeks ago. So this was an additional upsell cost.

Thanks for this info! So I guess then with a CAS reservation you can only call CAS later on and pay their rate to upgrade again? Meaning, the upsell department that people use for non-CAS reservations does not get involved with any CAS reservations?

Hi, I really want to know how do they determine the upsell price for each customer, it looks like they offer different price. My only assumption would be base on the price each customer paid. Is it correct?

No that is not true. I do not want to give exact numbers but I paid a lot less then an inside cabin went for on my 14 night sailing and I got the AFT PH by using the upsell office (My booking was CAS)

I book through CAS all the time and have gotten the same upsell offers as regular booked people.

The rates are usually

H5-H6-H7 $500.00 pp

H9 $750.00 pp

H4 $1000.00 pp

H2-H3 $1500.00 pp

Edited by iimmie

Yes, they have a "bottom line" price they are willing to accept for the cabins they are trying to sell. They subtract what you have already paid from that price and the difference between the two numbers is the offer they will make.

I would think there is more to it than that.... since they get to sell the room that was vacated, therefore (I assume -- could be wrong...) the upsell price can start to dive as they get closer to sail time.

If they think it is possible a suite might not sell 5-6 days before sailing, but a regular cabin has a much higher chance of selling 5-6 days before sailing, then it would seem that the formula / 'bottom line' numbers would probably be thrown out the window, in that by accepting a small price to upgrade someone out of a regular room and into a suite, they can now sell that regular room and make ~$1600 (800pp for a 10 day cruise, etc) that they otherwise wouldn't have made. Plus the $500 to upgrade. So they make $2100 that they would otherwise lose if they don't do any of this upsell business, if the large suite didn't sell before sailing.

I would think that this is why the upsell price is as you describe a month or more before the cruise, but gets much bettern ~2 weeks to sailing date.

I'm not a pro at this -- have never tried to upgrade -- this is just my guess given what I've heard so far. Please set me straight if I'm missing major details.

I would think there is more to it than that.... since they get to sell the room that was vacated, therefore (I assume -- could be wrong...) the upsell price can start to dive as they get closer to sail time.

If they think it is possible a suite might not sell 5-6 days before sailing, but a regular cabin has a much higher chance of selling 5-6 days before sailing, then it would seem that the formula / 'bottom line' numbers would probably be thrown out the window, in that by accepting a small price to upgrade someone out of a regular room and into a suite, they can now sell that regular room and make ~$1600 (800pp for a 10 day cruise, etc) that they otherwise wouldn't have made. Plus the $500 to upgrade. So they make $2100 that they would otherwise lose if they don't do any of this upsell business, if the large suite didn't sell before sailing.

I would think that this is why the upsell price is as you describe a month or more before the cruise, but gets much bettern ~2 weeks to sailing date.

I'm not a pro at this -- have never tried to upgrade -- this is just my guess given what I've heard so far. Please set me straight if I'm missing major details.

Your explanation is more thorough than mine, and I agree with you. When I said bottom line price, I meant at the time of the offer. It does get lower the closer you are to the sail date.

No that is not true. I do not want to give exact numbers but I paid a lot less then an inside cabin went for on my 14 night sailing and I got the AFT PH by using the upsell office (My booking was CAS)

I book through CAS all the time and have gotten the same upsell offers as regular booked people.

The rates are usually

H5-H6-H7 $500.00 pp

H9 $750.00 pp

H4 $1000.00 pp

H2-H3 $1500.00 pp

Thanks for this info and for the additional insight. This is exactly what I was wondering about!

I'm continuing my quest for an upsell on my cruise. Today, 5 days from sailing, I called first thing, waited on hold for 53 minutes before my call was answered. I asked about an upsell and was told that there were several suites available. Problem is I was given prices that were HIGHER than the ones I was given two weeks ago. NO suite CABINS have been sold (except for an obvious move from the 2 balcony Owner's Suite to the GV). The suites have all been available for a minimum of 3 weeks and now we're 5 days away and the prices are going up. This seems so counter intuitive and I feel like I must be doing or saying something wrong. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm in a mini suite and there are plenty of them left, so I know they don't want my cabin, but still, I would think they might like to fill the suites. I'm willing to pay, just not $1,500pp! I did ask and was told that they can continue to upsell the cabins until Friday. She did tell me I could call back, but I'm getting discouraged.

I'm continuing my quest for an upsell on my cruise. Today, 5 days from sailing, I called first thing, waited on hold for 53 minutes before my call was answered. I asked about an upsell and was told that there were several suites available. Problem is I was given prices that were HIGHER than the ones I was given two weeks ago. NO suite CABINS have been sold (except for an obvious move from the 2 balcony Owner's Suite to the GV). The suites have all been available for a minimum of 3 weeks and now we're 5 days away and the prices are going up. This seems so counter intuitive and I feel like I must be doing or saying something wrong. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm in a mini suite and there are plenty of them left, so I know they don't want my cabin, but still, I would think they might like to fill the suites. I'm willing to pay, just not $1,500pp! I did ask and was told that they can continue to upsell the cabins until Friday. She did tell me I could call back, but I'm getting discouraged.

Good luck, that does seem pretty odd. Like they are hoping to out wait someone desperate to upgrade.

Good luck, that does seem pretty odd. Like they are hoping to out wait someone desperate to upgrade.

or maybe a group of people. There are 33 suites left. But I watched the cruise before this one and there were approximately the same number left on the Monday prior to the cruise and by Tuesday night they were all gone.

I gave it a shot for the Gem next Monday, I was told no upsells are available.

Does that mean none for me or none for the whole ship? Should I bother trying again the rest of the week? Our cruise was booked quite some time ago and cost $719+taxes+gratuity for two people with the third sailing free (comes out to $800 a person after everything averaged across the three of us), some of the chatter here was about the upsells being based on what you already paid, could we have paid too low for our inside cabin so they wont be able to offer anything else?

ncl.com shows The Haven and all of the suites are booked. Inside to Mini-suites are still available, although only a few one them are left.

When I upgraded from my inside to a suite it was 12 days away from my cruise. They might just be all gone now. I called 3 to 4 times before they said yes, so I would try again. I paid even less than you did at $425 a person including the UDP and UBP on the Dawn which doesn't have Haven.

Called this morning for sailing the star on Jan 31st out of Tampa I was offered suites at a high price and told there's no balconys or mini suites available for upsell currently. I'll try again in a few days.

We are on the Jade sailing this Saturday (Jan. 30) and have received 2 upsell offers this week via email. We are in a balcony. The first offer on Monday was $750/pp to move up to a suite and $1500/pp for the owner's suite in the Haven.

Today it is $500/pp for the suite and $750/pp for the Haven.

Don't think we will upgrade but it would be nice.

Edited by hawk1972

Just took an upsell from BC balcony to H4 2 bdrm haven suite for 750pp for a 14 day sailing this Sunday. It was the last suite left. Been in a suite before but never the Haven. Really excited.

Lois

Edited by electro

:D:D You never know. You may end up in a suite. We did, on our last cruise!

I kept trying daily like you suggested, got no as an answer all week, tried one last time Friday towards the end of the day and Finally got a yes for our Monday cruise. Didn't get a suite like you but we moved from an inside to a balcony for $300 total for the three of us. $100 a person averaged out sure isn't bad.

What about if you already have a haven 2 bedroom? Not much more to upgrade to.

Me and hubby really splurged this year and are taking the SIL and nephew with us on an amazing cruise in a the haven - and I am just now finding out about this upsell number.

I don't know what other room they could give us, do they give deals on other things like excursions or spa passes?

I posted separately but adding to the upsell thread. Called 17 days out for my February 14th 7 day cruise on the Breakaway. It was looking pretty sold out so I called for giggles.

Originally booked a MA Mini-Suite GTY that was assigned a M6 Mini-Suite with Large Balcony.

Was offered an H2 Deluxe Owner's Suite with Large Balcony in the Haven for $2,500 total for four of us (average $675 per person).

We took the upsell...pretty psyched...

• 1 month later...
13 Days until our cruise. We are booked in a MA mini suite. Would like to score an upsell to a full suite (there are lots of them left). Is it time for me to start calling the upsell #? The specific suite I'm looking at is currently priced $1100pp more than I paid for the mini. What can I expect to pay for the upsell? Would love to hear from anyone who might have advice for me. Thanks in advance for your help. Pat

Did you ever get your upgrade? I'm about 45 days out then i will start calling in about 30 days

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk