hotel and transportation nyc

dscamper

just booked norwegian gem march 29,2017 have lots of time. coming in by train first time, cruising from nyc 6 adults 1 child need hotel and transportation information from train station to hotel and hotel appreciate information on train taking amtrack from erie , pa

just booked norwegian gem march 29,2017 have lots of time. coming in by train first time, cruising from nyc 6 adults 1 child need hotel and transportation information from train station to hotel and hotel appreciate information on train taking amtrack from erie , pa

What is your hotel budget? How many rooms? Bed configuration? Are you coming in the night before or several days ahead to sightsee?

That train has a reputation for being late.

It's a long ways out, but you're probably going to have a lot more options with 2 to a room.

Some of the typically suburban hotels like Residence Inn are available in Manhattan, with one bed and a sofa bed, but you're generally looking at a max capacity of 3 (regardless of the age of the child).

anyone ever stay at midtown comfortinn west48 st they have rooms with 2 doubles

The location of this Comfort Inn is very far west albeit close to the pier.

Look at La Quinta on west 32nd. Offers two queens and free breakfast. It's an avenue and a half from the 7th ave exit of Penn Station, so it's walkable. Should be within your budget booking so far ahead. Around the corner from the Empire State and close to Herald Square. One of our regular posters really likes this hotel as a good budget option.

Edited by 138east

anyone ever stay at midtown comfortinn west48 st they have rooms with 2 doubles

My son and daughter-in-law stayed there and found the hotel to be satisfactory for an overnight stay.

It's very close to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, but a few blocks away from the main Times Square area attractions.

• 5 months later...

I will be on this cruise as well and flying into La Guardia the day before. How much should I be expecting to pay for a taxi? How does Uber work? I am hoping to get a hotel within 5 blocks of the cruise terminal ( haven't booked one yet, but there are several options). I have been on a one-day bus tour of NYC prior to 9/11, but this trip won't have much time for sight-seeing so what do people suggest if I can only do/see one thing?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I will be on this cruise as well and flying into La Guardia the day before. How much should I be expecting to pay for a taxi? How does Uber work? I am hoping to get a hotel within 5 blocks of the cruise terminal ( haven't booked one yet, but there are several options). I have been on a one-day bus tour of NYC prior to 9/11, but this trip won't have much time for sight-seeing so what do people suggest if I can only do/see one thing?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Taxis are metered, so the fare will be a function of distance and time. Figure on about $40 to midtown Manhattan, plus tolls (if any) and tip.

You book Uber through a smartphone app.

If you end up staying at a hotel close to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, a good attraction in the area is the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, which is on Pier 86, at 12th Ave. and 46th St.

We are cruising out of Cape Liberty for the first time in October. We fly into La Guardia the night before and are spending the night near Time Square. Any recommendations for a shuttle or car service from the airport and then to the cruise terminal the next day? We are traveling with our 1 and 4 year old kids. Would it just be better to fly into Newark? Any help is appreciated!

We are cruising out of Cape Liberty for the first time in October. We fly into La Guardia the night before and are spending the night near Time Square. Any recommendations for a shuttle or car service from the airport and then to the cruise terminal the next day? We are traveling with our 1 and 4 year old kids. Would it just be better to fly into Newark? Any help is appreciated!

Will you have car seats? I believe you will need them to travel to NJ. If you aren't doing anything in NYC, flying into Newark is easier and transportation cheaper.

Yes - please provide more details. Exact date? Car seats? 2 adults and 2 children ages 1 & 4?

What are you paying for a hotel room in Manhattan? What time does your flight arrive? What are your NYC plans, if any?

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I are staying 3 nights pre cruise at the Econolodge Times Square. Looking for advice on transportation from Penn station to hotel and hotel to Manhattan cruise port.

Very easy. Exit Penn Station on the 8th Ave side (a northbound street) and take a taxi north to the Econolodge which is on W 47th St, a westbound street. Take a cab from the Econolodge to the Manhattan Cruiseport.

Thank you, I wasn't sure if we should take a taxi,uber or a shuttle. Any idea on cost? We will have 4 suitcases (traveling for 5 weeks in all seasons)

It's a very short distance and a direct route north on 8th Ave and later west on 47th St. Each trip should cost around $10-12, if that.

Don't know about the suitcases. How big are they?

If you have the uber app, uber works very well in Manhattan. But you need to know addresses. Uber is good because they'll tell you right away how much it will cost and no money has to be exchanged. At penn station use a yellow cab, there are plenty. If you're comfortable with uber use that from hotel to ship.

2 "regular" 28 inch, 1 rolling garment and 1 carry on roller one. Thank you again for your help.

That's a lot of heavy luggage for 2 people, I'm surprised that you aren't over the typical airline limits for excess weight on the 28" rollers. For extended, long oversea trips, our 25" expandable rollers come close to 20 kg or 44 lbs as sometimes those intra-regional flights don't give us the benefits of free 22 kg or 50 lbs. allowance x 2 bags per person.

For the typical yellow NYC taxi in Manhattan, they can probably take 3 of them - the garment bag or carry-on might need to be in the passenger compartment, unless you can hail one of those taxi-van, midsize SUV or old Ford Crown Vic ... not sure if some of the newer Nissan or Ford Transit "boxes" can fit all 4 of them in to luggage area. Ditto for Uber - my understanding is that there are lots of Toyota Camry or equivalent running around in Manhattan ... and 3 pc. of large luggage is the limit (only rode it once on one of my client's "account" and it was a Nissan Altima, nice but not a lot of trunk space - fine as I only had a backpack with all the digital gadgets needed for the day)

We fly internationally every 3-4 months with the 2 big suitcases, they always weigh 49-51 pounds each trip. We are slowly bringing stuff from our storage to our house in Cozumel. We are flying Southwest this trip so 2 checked bags each.

If you have the uber app, uber works very well in Manhattan. But you need to know addresses. Uber is good because they'll tell you right away how much it will cost and no money has to be exchanged. At penn station use a yellow cab, there are plenty. If you're comfortable with uber use that from hotel to ship.

Love using Uber in NYC best way to get around much easier than trying to flag down a taxi

Love using Uber in NYC best way to get around much easier than trying to flag down a taxi

Any idea how much Uber would be from Newark airport to the Port Liberty cruise port? We were thinking of doing a car service. Staying at the Marriott EWR night before cruise.

Thanks,

Barb

Any idea how much Uber would be from Newark airport to the Port Liberty cruise port? We were thinking of doing a car service. Staying at the Marriott EWR night before cruise.

Thanks,

Barb

You can't take uber from the airport, not sure about the Marriott. I'm guessing around $50?