5 things you would/wouldn't bring

Tas55

Agreed - those things are nice if you like them but to me, they make me sneeze and my eyes water so I would not be thanking anyone. I don't even use fabric softener as it so full of chemicals and junk I don't want in my house. I use plain vinegar for fabric softener with a few drops of essential oil on worsted wool balls for the dryer. This is because I seem to be sensitive to artificial perfumed smells or something.

The attendants have to clear the room of everything not standard issue so all you do is make more work for them, although the thought was nice.

In the end, I've always tried to bring less, not leave a mountain of trash the last day and make things simple by having less stuff.

Bring:

1. clothes pegs for hanging laundry

2. magnets to attach post its and important papers to the wall

3. your own hairdryer...one in cabin is labour intensive

4. downy wrinkle release...works great

5. patience and a sense of humour...will get you through just about any situation:)

Don't bring:

1. half the clothes you already packed

Enjoy!!

All your bring list, 1-4 are things we would never bring and most of our cruises are 14-22 nights.

I agree with your don't bring list.

Edited by Jade13

Some good suggestions. Some of it depends on where you are cruising, flying or driving to port, possibly more than 2 in the room, etc.

Take:

1) I can't agree enough with the mini-first aid kit. Even if you never get blisters, there is nothing like dirt and sand grinding away at your heels after a long day out touring. I love those cloth bandages from Bandaids, and they come in travel packs. Similar to the rain coat discussion, having some diarrhea meds will be insurance you don't get sick.

2) Pack of stickies, pen, highlighter. Good for notes to the room steward, roommates, highlighting the daily, etc.. Especially if you have an early riser, it's nice to leave a note when you will be back or where you will be.

3) Already been said, but a couple of interchangeable pashminas/scarves. If nothing else, it's a good way to change your look from day to day, or cover your shoulders when you have had enough sun. They have served as head coverings in conservative countries. Easy to roll up and pack in your bag. It does get cold on the ship, especially if you get a bit of a sunburn or something.

4) Belkin travel outlet. Yes, I take my share of electronics, including the e-reader.

5) My indulgence, I take my own shampoo/conditioner. If I am gone for a couple of days, I live with what the hotel offers, but two weeks with bad shampoo is more than my hair can take. I usually take medium size bottles, which are cheaper than multiple samples, and leave whatever is left over.

Don't Take:

1) I use my phone for alarm, flashlight, whatever is needed. Just make sure you turn it on airplane, if you wish to avoid charges.

2) Hair dryer. I have my fair share of hair, but I live without the hairdryer. I travel a lot on business, and have figured out how to live with whatever is available. I would take a straightening or curling iron over a hair dryer, to touch up.

3) My 2 allowed bottles of wine. Too much hassle for me. I have planned trips past Total Wine on the way from the airport, etc.. and it's more trouble than it's worth...to me.

4) Duck tape. I know people swear by it, but have never regretted not having my own duck tape with me.

5) I have always found good use for a travel-size febreeze and the downy wrinkle remover. The febreeze doubles for bathroom freshener and it's intended purpose, "freshening" yesterday's outfit for one more day of use :). I have been known to give the entire closet a shot or too.

Depends:

1) extra bathing suits. Yes, for a Caribbean type cruise extra is essential. Sunscreen, bug spray. If you think you need it, it is always better to bring your own than buy it on the ship. I would not bother with the extra suits on a cooler weather cruise.

2) I have gotten so much use over the years with the over the door shoe holder, but also have had my share of cruises with 3 in the room. They are great for the sunscreen, hair brushes, excursion tickets, seapass cards, or anything else that lands on the desk. I hate the desk being cluttered with junk. With that said, I don't take it when cruising solo.

3) I bought the magnets, and didn't get much use out of them, especially with the over the door shoe thingy. I may take them on my next cruise, since luggage space/weight will be a premium I am not taking the over the door holder. Still deciding ;)

4) I just got an awesome mini-bluetooth speaker that will make it into my bag. I am looking forward to using it instead of the TV channels to keep me entertained while getting ready, out on the balcony with a glass of wine, morning sun salutations :), etc.. I am way past my days of ear-splitting music, so I have no plans of offending anyone with the volume.

5) Any advise you get on this or any other travel board. If it fits, use it. If not, leave it at home with whatever other worries or stresses you are cruising to escape!

Headed to Vegas & got to our airport (small, no shops in it) & the corner of my bag to check just pulled apart when I picked it up. Too big to carry on but couldn't check it that way...now what???

LUCKILY this was a small town airport & low & behold they had some duct tape handy to strap that baby up. Total redneck look but did the trick. Would have really been in a pickle without it.

You can buy a small wad of it without the core.

(and I am the sort to NOT bring most of the above items along, but the duct tape goes everytime now!)

DO NOT bring camouflage patterned clothing to the Caribbean. Civilian camo is illegal on many of the islands, so if you are wearing camo they can and probably will stop you from entering, or can even jail you and/or fine you. Same goes for camouflaged bags (suitcases, hand bags, etc.) and backpacks. Just say no to camo. These islands are pretty serious about it.

Barbados

St Lucia

Jamacia

St Vincent

Antigua

Barbuda

St Kitts

Nevis

Trinidad

Tobago

There are lots and lots of long lists of absolutely necessary things to bring on CC. Carefully write down everything on the lists. Then do not bring anything on your list.

:D

Yet I find quickly glancing through other people's lists can be a helpful way to get ideas for things that may not have occurred to me,

even though 95% of the items on those lists are not anything I would want or need to bring along.

Conversely, I am sure I bring along things I consider essential that others do not want or need.

It is rather like glancing around at a buffet to get an idea of all the possibilities available, but then you pick and choose the items that appeal to you personally and ignore all the rest.

My favorite tips are the ones where someone suggests something available on the ship or in port that can substitute nicely for something else you would otherwise have needed to bring along from home, making less to pack or bother with in advance.

(Now some reading this are probably thinking about people they have seen who are not selective at buffets and load up as much food as possible,

just as some people are not selective in their packing and try to bring along just about everything from home but the kitchen sink. ;) )

I like to bring a selection of jewellery with me, particularly earrings as they don't take up much room, but when I used to just put it all together in one bag it would get jumbled up and I had to find a matching pair. Now I use those little plastic bags that spare buttons are in when you buy a new dress/ shirt. They are the perfect size and now my earrings are always in pairs.

Just one more thing to add to this great list!

We bring lanyards AND a hole punch. We punch our own sea pass cards, hook onto the lanyard and loop it around a belt loop, stuff it into a pocket. I’m not one to wear it hanging on my chest, and don’t want to repeat losing it--so a pocket/lanyard is my compromise.

Also, if you want to wash out undies, the ship shampoo works fine. We pack very light, and use the ship laundry service. Also, load up your iPad with books and games--beats carting all those books onboard.

Like the lanyard idea with belt loops. I actually had a plastic 'D' ring sewed into my swim trunks so I could make sure I did not lose cards and also keep them secure when in water. I put them in a small waterproof case with a lanyard attached to the case. Bought at a dive shop.

I keep ALL of my jewelry in ziplock bags.

I usually put everything in the safe (and it's all costume but i still like to keep it there.) and things can get lost in there so like to just grab the bag and choose what I want out in the light.

MY MUST-HAVE TAKES:

1. FULL first aid kit. Not a mini-kit for me. Can't stress this enough. Very first cruise I caught a cold halfway through and I was miserable with the cheap, useless cough syrup sold in the tuck shop. I broke my toe at the beginning of that cruise too, and needed Tylenol. Hubby teases me each cruise about how thorough my first aid kit is, and each cruise there is something he ends up needing.

2. Small spritzer of Poo-Pourri. Seriously... those cabins are small! Taking the "Browns to the Superbowl" can really be offensive and embarassing if someone comes to the door after you're done.

3. My smartphone: I use it for camera, music, flashlight, white noise machine at night, clock, and of course to check in at home on free wifi while in port. Make sure it is set to flight mode.

4. One evening clutch and one pair evening shoes that will match all my planned evening outfits. No need for more than that, for me.

5. For me, a spare pair of prescription eye glasses. I am almost blind without my glasses (literally) and had a pair break on vacation once. It was horrible for me to not be able to see for the rest of the week.

I'm an organizational overachiever so have a lot of lists when we travel. I take clear vinyl sleeves (like you put in a 3 ring binder) to hold papers that I will be carrying on excursions, etc. Keeps things together and protected.

If you like vinyl sleeves for paperwork, try Ziploc Vacuum bags for your clothes. You will be able to fit a lot more in your suitcase using these bags. They're great, especially if you want to travel light i.e. using a rollerboard and a small carry-on on your flight to the port. Keeps life simple.

Headed to Vegas & got to our airport (small, no shops in it) & the corner of my bag to check just pulled apart when I picked it up. Too big to carry on but couldn't check it that way...now what???

LUCKILY this was a small town airport & low & behold they had some duct tape handy to strap that baby up. Total redneck look but did the trick. Would have really been in a pickle without it.

You can buy a small wad of it without the core.

(and I am the sort to NOT bring most of the above items along, but the duct tape goes everytime now!)

I AM one of those freaks that pack 'just in case' duct tape and yes, last cruise, had to use it when one side of our hard sided luggage got completely smashed up during the air travel. Was able to give my DH THAT look when I pulled out the duct tape and saved the day :p

Duct tape, used it several times too. Heavy duty magnets with a clip to hang up all the paper on the wall. Sunscreen X2. Sunglasses X2. LED candle X2. Champagne stopper. First aid stuff (i.e., Tylenol, Mucinex, band aids, extra prescription meds), ball cap & packable hooded rain jacket. Those are my must haves.

Great tips on this thread! I also take a small package of Lysol wipes that I use to wipe down the cabin controls that are probably never cleaned...tv remote, door handles, light switches, etc. As a nurse, I'm always trying to beat the odds of getting sick!

Great tips on this thread! I also take a small package of Lysol wipes that I use to wipe down the cabin controls that are probably never cleaned...tv remote, door handles, light switches, etc. As a nurse, I'm always trying to beat the odds of getting sick!

That's one of the first things we pack. We also use the Lysol wipes on flights and in hotel rooms.

1. I look at the Duct Tape like others look at the rain poncho. Bring it so I don't need it. Hope it keeps on working.

2. Always bring a mini first aid med kit. What is in it has grown over the years.

3. Ziplocks in multiple sizes

4. Good mood

5. Open mind

Carol