BOGO Nonsense

No complaints from me! I booked my cruise during this BOGO sale. But, now that you mention it, I thought there was only a few days left in the sale...and that was a month ago! Is it not really a deal? Do they jack the prices up so you think one is half off? Do they sometimes have different (better?) sales?

There was a 30% off promotion a few months back. That one worked very well for us as we are a family of 3.

Yep! Traveling with 3 in one cabin, the 30% off was the lowest price I've been able to find and I'm glad a booked when that came out. Hopefully we see another one when new sailings are released.

Prices have always been, and will continue to be, based on what the market will allow. The "promotions" are just gimmicks to get people's attention. It doesn't matter whether it's BOGOHO, or 30% off, or free beverage package, or WOW sale, or anything else.

For some reason, consumers seem to think they are getting a better deal when they see BOGO.

I have a small seasonal business (sell fireworks for New Years and July 4) I decided to do a little test last New Years Sale. Instead of listing everything as BOGO like I've done for a number of years. I just priced everything individually. If I sold it BOGO $10, then I just listed it for $5. I had more complaints than I had in 10 years because I wasn't doing BOGO. So this year I went back to doubling the price and promoting BOGO.

So I guess this little test of mine seems to hold true for the average person buying cruises. It goes right along with the $14.99 price tag versus $15. Psychologically people read $14.99 as a $14 dollar item. It's crazy

I think part of the OP's complaint is the same issue I have with it - regardless of the number on the price, stop calling it a "sale" (or implying that it's a sale) when this pricing structure is the regular course of business. (Kohls is notorious for this too.) No matter what the number is, fake sale schemes that show a "regular price" (which is so high they never actually charge that) and a "you pay" price (which is always the price, or in the same general range), are irritating to me.

The 30% off in October was an actual sale, and I booked my summer cruise with it.

Edited by emory2001

Buy one and get one free? Or buy one and get one 1/2 half? Either way, it forces the customer to buy two of whatever.

Buy one get one free = 50% off of each. Not bad but still have two buy two in order to get the discount. The customer may not want two.

Buy one get one half off = 25% off of each. Worse because the customer is getting a lower discount. It is a better sale for the company because they made two sales and at only 25% off.

Either way, the customer is forced to buy two in order to get the discount. Personally, I do not do BOGO sales because they seem deceitful. Others find them great sales. It all depends what is wanted or needed. :)

We booked during the 30 per cent off promotion too. Got a cabin I particularly wanted on Allure (last one aft) and the bottom line was okay. BUT I'm still kind of wondering how a discount of $68 is 30 per cent off a cruise fare of $1,046. Really interesting math, lol. Between the creative math, uninformative website and notorious IT issues I already think I'll be looking elsewhere next time. The lack of clarity is irritating.

Well at first it seemed like a good deal, and it may be for some people.:confused:

I booked that way with a TA, and by the time I got insurance coverage, and transfers, I believe they almost (TA)made up for the difference. Maybe it was because we were coming from Kansas City, going to San Juan, St. Lucia, and some other ports, but that direction is very expensive, compared to just leaving from Florida or Texas and not going San Juan direction.

I think part of the OP's complaint is the same issue I have with it - regardless of the number on the price, stop calling it a "sale" (or implying that it's a sale) when this pricing structure is the regular course of business. (Kohls is notorious for this too.) No matter what the number is, fake sale schemes that show a "regular price" (which is so high they never actually charge that) and a "you pay" price (which is always the price, or in the same general range), are irritating to me.

The 30% off in October was an actual sale, and I booked my summer cruise with it.

It was still 30% off an inflated price. The only reason you think that one was an "actual" sale is that you were happy with the price you got. But it was no different from other sales in that some sailings and cabins went down in price, while others were about the same or went up.

I'm trying to find a reasonable (to me) per-night cost for Oasis, Allure, or Anthem without luck. I know these are the newest ships with the most amenities, so I guess there's quite a premium on their sailings compared to other classes of ships.

I was able to get a good price for Oasis in 2014 but that was during their "kids sail free" promo. Currently the lowest 7-night price seems to be at least 45-50% more which I guess is in line with the current value of the CAD relative to the USD :(