ms Westerdam Sail-Away January 23, 2016

Boytjie

Looks like Westie is moving!:D I made it just in time, and as soon as she departs, I will be leaving too, so I will thank everyone now for the fun and toots!

PS I see we now have a theme song.:) Well done, Kathy, our "poet Lauderdale".

And welcome back Mumsy - did you have a good cruise?

yeahhhhhhhh got here just in time! Hope all on the Westerdam have a wonderful cruise!

will someone please wave to me Monday when I sail away on the Zuiderdam?

Most of us fly or travel in early for our cruises. But considering that this storm was forecast and tracked for several days, why not pay a penalty and change your flight and get out of dodge early.

The airlines usually start waving fees to change flights; we did that in 2010.

We also fly in a few days early but it is a gamble anyways; two years ago storms were wrecking travel plans too before our cruise. We flew our regular flight the evening before a big storm was going to hit New York and much of the Eastern seaboard. If there were mechanical problems with our flight we would have been in trouble. Instead of mechanical issues it was weather that almost did us in - severe thunderstorms in Florida closed all flight routes and if we did not take off within 2 hours our pilot would have timed out and chances were slim that they'd get a replacement crew. JFK was deserted with only a handful of planes there as equipment had been moved and flights canceled in anticipation.

Once airports opened some people were able to get out, others had no luck and could only be flown there after the cruise departed. One friend opted not to go (he was battling cancer at the time and did not need more stress) and another drove from New Jersey to Florida.