August or September Alaska Cruise

Skoogs

I've been tasked with picking the date for our first Alaska cruise. Two of the couples have never been on a cruise. We want to go on the 14 day cruise aboard the Maasdam (my favorite ship). The three dates are Aug. 1st., Aug. 29th. and September 12th. People are leaning towards the September date. What is your experience with a September Alaska cruise? Too wet?

Sept. can been the start of winter in some ports. Many of the stores and restaurants are closing up. Weather can be iffy, seas rougher. I would say do Aug. You may get more children but being these cruises are port intensive, they will be tired out. A good thing would be less ships in port and markdowns in stores. We had 75% off everywhere but living in FL. I already have one winter hat, a pair of gloves and don't need boots! Okay, so I bought a heavy pair of socks with Moose on them. (Using them today!)

I've been tasked with picking the date for our first Alaska cruise. Two of the couples have never been on a cruise. We want to go on the 14 day cruise aboard the Maasdam (my favorite ship). The three dates are Aug. 1st., Aug. 29th. and September 12th. People are leaning towards the September date. What is your experience with a September Alaska cruise? Too wet?

We have done both Aug & Sept a few times. In Aug we had more fog, in Sept twice they canceled Sitkia due to rough seas. The rain & temp were about the same.

We have done Sept cruises 3 times on HAL - early, mid and late in the month. I guess we are lucky since the weather was very nice all three times, so its the luck of the draw I guess. The only rain we hit was two of the three times in Ketchican (rains there very frequently).

Nice thing is that cruise prices are usually lower in Sept, plus many shops run very good end of season sales (remember that many places close until May).

If price is not an issue, I would go with Aug 1 to be safer with the weather though.

Although I had one September Alaska cruise where the weather was reported to be the best all season, this was unusual. On my other September cruises there, it was mostly rain and cold. The last time in Glacier Bay, it was so cold, rainy, and foggy, it wasn't worth getting up to see---because you couldn't.

My August cruises there have been much better, weather-wise. Not to mention that the days are a bit longer in early August.

I would choose the August 1 date.

Another vote for August 1st..... August starts to get wet and September is best for storm chasers. There's a reason for those deep discounts.

I want good dry weather for my port excursions. I am willing to pay a little more to avoid damp, depressing excursions, as well as the potential for cancelled ports due to rough seas where the ship is unable to dock. In the last 3 years, I notice the weather getting wet on the second week of August.

Are you departing from Vancouver???? Consider extra days pre-cruise on August 1st. Vancouver has a massive fireworks competition on Wednesday and Saturday evenings.

I would choose August 1, that way if anyone is interested in a bear excursion, you will be there at the right time.

I went on the last cruise in September (16-23), and the captain proclaimed it to be the best of the season.

It was sunny in all ports, including Glacier Bay. It only rained one early morning while on ship.

I walked the Maidenhall glacier trail wearing a T-shirt!

So, it has to do more with luck than timing.

You haven't posted your relative prices. Really all of this comes down to whether you feel the (I assume) discount available for mid-late Sep is worth the reduced daytime and increased weather risks. There's no such thing as a bad time to cruise Alaska, just statistically-more-likely-to-have-better-or-worse-weather times.

Six weeks difference (and with a 14 day cruise, you're talking almost the end of September before you're done on that last one...) makes for a significant loss of daytime (e.g. in Ketchikan sunset on 3rd Aug is 8:48pm, 17th Aug 8:17pm, 24th Aug 8:01pm, 31st Aug 7:43pm and eventually just 6:29pm on Sep 21st - total day length drops by over three hours in that span!)

Weather-wise you should be packing for rain and wind regardless of which date you choose, but you are more likely to need your gear the later you go. Any given day or week might be relatively fabulous or terrible, but statistically early August is much drier than late September in the region.

I suppose your September date is also less likely to have kids on-board - I can't think of any school regions with vacation time that goes much beyond labour day in North America or Europe. But a 14 day cruise is probably less likely to have lots of kids anyway and with Alaska being port-intensive and colder I generally find kids less annoying than on Caribbean cruises anyway, you don't seem to get the 'hordes of rampaging kids on the pool deck' situations anywhere near as much.

Hi Skoo,

We very much liked our August cruises - North the week of 08/01 and South the week of 08/17.

There were a couple of chilly, foggy days, but overall weather was good and it was not crowded.

Enjoy your visit.

Ira

The Sept 12 sailing takes you to Sept 26. Even I, who enjoy the early to mid part of Sept in Alaska, would think that is a bit late in the season. Not just weather, you will have noticeably fewer hours of daylight.

Although I had one September Alaska cruise where the weather was reported to be the best all season, this was unusual. On my other September cruises there, it was mostly rain and cold. The last time in Glacier Bay, it was so cold, rainy, and foggy, it wasn't worth getting up to see---because you couldn't.

My August cruises there have been much better, weather-wise. Not to mention that the days are a bit longer in early August.

I would choose the August 1 date.

You haven't posted your relative prices. Really all of this comes down to whether you feel the (I assume) discount available for mid-late Sep is worth the reduced daytime and increased weather risks. There's no such thing as a bad time to cruise Alaska, just statistically-more-likely-to-have-better-or-worse-weather times.

Six weeks difference (and with a 14 day cruise, you're talking almost the end of September before you're done on that last one...) makes for a significant loss of daytime (e.g. in Ketchikan sunset on 3rd Aug is 8:48pm, 17th Aug 8:17pm, 24th Aug 8:01pm, 31st Aug 7:43pm and eventually just 6:29pm on Sep 21st - total day length drops by over three hours in that span!)

Weather-wise you should be packing for rain and wind regardless of which date you choose, but you are more likely to need your gear the later you go. Any given day or week might be relatively fabulous or terrible, but statistically early August is much drier than late September in the region.

I suppose your September date is also less likely to have kids on-board - I can't think of any school regions with vacation time that goes much beyond labour day in North America or Europe. But a 14 day cruise is probably less likely to have lots of kids anyway and with Alaska being port-intensive and colder I generally find kids less annoying than on Caribbean cruises anyway, you don't seem to get the 'hordes of rampaging kids on the pool deck' situations anywhere near as much.

The ship leaves Ketchikan at 5 pm so it will not effect the daylight.

The Sept 12 sailing takes you to Sept 26. Even I, who enjoy the early to mid part of Sept in Alaska, would think that is a bit late in the season. Not just weather, you will have noticeably fewer hours of daylight.

I agree I love AK. In sept. But i would pass on last one of this season it starts to late

Huh? :confused: Sunset/twilight time has nothing to do with sail-away time.

That is my point sunset has nothing to do with sail away the ship leaves at 5 pm so who cares if sunset is at 8:17 pm.

we were on the last 14 day 2014 season on the M. with you Ruth & the weather was wonderful.

That is my point sunset has nothing to do with sail away the ship leaves at 5 pm so who cares if sunset is at 8:17 pm.

>SNIP<

My point about the shorter hours of daylight is that you miss out on some of the stunning scenery while cruising, both AM and PM. It isn't just that the sun sets earlier, it also rises later.

It is also darn difficult to watch for marine wildlife when the sun is not up.....

Edited by CowPrincess

...who cares if sunset is at 8:17 pm.

The people who want to be outside (or even inside at a window) watching the sunset and twilight care.

The last two times I sailed down the Lynn Canal it was late in the season. Sunset was early, as compared to the 9:00 PM sailing, and it was tough to enjoy one of the world's most beautiful rides as the scenery was cloaked in darkness.