11 months to Nassau: 11 inches of snow already

HowardK

Glad I have the Escape booked for 12/17 ! this is absurd . Going to be 22 inches of snow and even worse I can' get to Chick Fil A today.

Has anyone ever been on a cruise ship in a blizzard itself?

Lightweight! :) We already have about 25" with 10"-12" more expected. But I feel your pain about Chick Fil-A. It's part of my normal Saturday routine. However, I know they are probably closed. No one can move about in this mess, even the post office next door is closed (Whatever happened to "Neither Rain, nor snow, nor gloom of night....?)

We will be on the Escape one week sooner than you. I'll tell them that you will need a stiff drink to help get over this weekend.

Welcome to the club. The temp here near lake Michigan hasn't been above freezing for at least two weeks, snow forecasted again for Monday. However, schools don't close, its been 18 below zero wind chills, and the kids are out there waiting for the bus. Now its a big deal because New York is due to get 2 ft!:rolleyes:

14 inches of snow so far but 14 days until we Escape!

Power restored after 4 hours - so far so good

Sadly six miles away - the flooding on the Jersey Shore is pretty bad

Read that RCCL delayed returns to NJ and Baltimore. Haven't heard anything about the BA--assume she will be in NY tomorrow

Everyone be safe and warm in the storm

Welcome to the club. The temp here near lake Michigan hasn't been above freezing for at least two weeks, snow forecasted again for Monday. However, schools don't close, its been 18 below zero wind chills, and the kids are out there waiting for the bus. Now its a big deal because New York is due to get 2 ft!:rolleyes:

Vermont kids wait at the bus stop in their shorts at that temp:eek:.

I feel for everyone being impacted by this storm. I was stationed in many southern states while in the Navy and y'all don't do snow very well;). I loved the weather guys when I was in DC during an 18" inch storm "it's going to be 44 degrees tomorrow so all of this snow is going to melt". Uh, nope, it will take a few days.:)

Heard the Gem is giving everyone a fun ride as it heads south. Nearly out of it now.

All the talk about snow coming in from Canada all the time and today we had the most beautiful sunny day ever here in southern Ontario!

March 2013 we left NY as a massive storm hit the same area as it is today. What a ride! I can feel for the Gem because almost 3 years later and I can still feel that ship rocking. Those poor waiters trying to serve dinner. All you could hear was crash after crash of broken dishes. They would be trying to balance a full tray and the ship would just MOVE and down would go everything on the tray. We were fortunate in our cabin to only have a wine glass fall on the floor and break. Although we called for help there was just no one who could come as our misfortune was minor compared to what they were dealing with. We picked up as much of the glass as we could and then got the brilliant idea of covering the path from bed to bathroom with the leather cover they put on the bed for your suitcase. It was under the bed so we spread it out. Worried we'd get up in the night and forget about the bits of glass. The next day was more of the same rocking but by dinner that night it was much better. The captain was great. He kept making announcements. At one point he said he was trying to sail with the waves as much as he could, rather than have them hit us broadside, but that meant sailing too far from land or towards the land and he could only do that for just so long! I won't forget that trip but we all survived and have a great tale to tell.

Here's a tip .....take some bungee cords of different lengths with you. If your closet and dresser drawers have the right kind of handles you can use the bungees to hold them closed so they don't keep opening and slamming shut all night.

14 inches of snow so far but 14 days until we Escape!

Power restored after 4 hours - so far so good

Sadly six miles away - the flooding on the Jersey Shore is pretty bad

Read that RCCL delayed returns to NJ and Baltimore. Haven't heard anything about the BA--assume she will be in NY tomorrow

Everyone be safe and warm in the storm

Heard from my neighbors this morning - they are on the delayed Anthem of the Seas - she said the captain and crew are doing an outstanding job - but she can't wait to get home.

We live in NYC, but in an area that is a coastal community and we have had about 25 mph winds most of the day, but the gusts are mega. Now waiting out the next high tide, thinking of you guys in NJ. The city has basically shut down except for underground subway trains - but that has enabled the sanitation department to have clear access for getting things back on track above ground. To those in the path of the storm - stay warm and safe - Linda

I think we have about 3 feet here. It's hard to tell, but they reported on the news 32.5 inches as of noon, and it's still snowing at 7pm. All I know is it's a heck of a lot of snow. I hope I can dig out in time to get to the airport in May for our Mediterranean cruise.

I live 1 1/2 north of Toronto, and usually have winter snow, although we do have some on the ground, it has been very light this year! I was out in shoes and a spring sweater yesterday, cloudy today, expect some snow today. I leave on the 18th of feb for 3 cruises, so hope the weather is nice then.

For those housebound - close the curtains turn up the heat and pretend you are on the beach - serve summer food and drink fruitie cruise drinks with umbrellas - remember some day this will be remember when....

Hope it melts soon, but not too soon - too much water is worse than a pile of snow!! Goodluck!

Blizzard Jonas is now #2 in NYC's records for top snowfall - we easily had 30" + snow drifts in our front yard with the north wind blowing sideway, 2 cars in the driveway were NOT buried as they're "protected".

This morning, we had a big & great "block party" as all the neigbors came out with shovels, brushes and a 2nd. snowblower "trapped" in the backyard was finally freed & joined the snowblower that helped clear a walk path up & down the sidewalk, and widened the "driveable" streets to make it passable as we haven't seen any DOS snow plows and/or trucks sanding the pavement since last night. All the cars that folks planned to move are no longer buried and dug out/shovel and blowers aided - the helping hands spirits alway great & alive here on our "suburban" city block. The local bus is running again this afternoon on a fairly regular, modified Sunday schedule, except from ours & other side streets - turning onto to avenue is still a challenge. Today, it's going to freeze again so black ice will be a problem and worst, as we know the drills, the plows & sanders will sweep us overnight and block the cars in again & push the leftover snow against everyone's driveways. :eek:

Monday morning, we will deal with the "snow" again & never a shortage of manual labor to give "stranded" drivers that extra push to get out of the parking spot and moving again.

As for those who left for the tropical ports on the GEM, by the time they returned to NYC, most of the snow on the roof of their vehicles if parked above the pier should be gone by then - better to ride out of NY harbor on a Noreaster (did that, done it on the GEM in 2012, less than a week after "Sandy" - with a rare November storm, 50 knots cross wind & 30 foot waves, rocking & rolling for 18+ hours before calming down ... but those Norwegian ship captains are known their navigational "smarts" while near flying closer to the coast at almost 25 knots. No lines & no waits in the MDR and wonderful services from the crew, LOL.)

Both the mayor & the governor(s) made the "correct" calls & shutting things down and warning folks to go & stay home with the travel ban - better to be safe than sorry, while giving essential services the upper hand to coping with the storm. Folks in Jersey & along the coastal shorelines are dealing with flooding that's on par / worst than Sandy, so it's not over yet but let the recovery begin. Nation's capital are going to take even longer to get everything up & running as they aren't used to blizzards like us, LOL.

Good luck for all with flying and plans to travel, as there are still flight cancellations being posted for Monday at airports along the Northeast - both JFK and LGA here locally are slowly, very slowly resuming operations today.