Tipping for drinks

Bruin Steve

First let me say that I have, traditionally, been a generous tipper on cruises...Back when I started cruising, tips (aside from drinks) were always given in cash, in envelopes on the last day of the cruise...But I always figured that the recommended tips for the waiter and assistant waiter, for example, were WAY UNDER what they should be...Back home, for example, in those days, a typical restaurant service tip was 15% of the total bill...but, in those days, it was something like $3.50 per day for the waiter and $1.50 for the assistant waiter per person...which would, if you based it on 15%, equate to your breakfast, lunch and dinner totaling about $33...and, of course, when you are eating an appetizer, soup, salad, a steak and dessert at dinner alone, no way even back in the 80s and 90s, would even just the dinner tab come to less than $33...And the service was always way above what you'd get in most restaurants back home...So, at the end of the cruise, rather than (say, for a 7 night cruise) put $49 (for the two of us) in an envelope for the waiter and $21 in the assistant waiter's envelope, we'd typically give the waiter at least $60 and the assistant at least $30--maybe more if they were really good...

But bar service was always a little different. Back in those days, they added a full 15% to every drink (now 18%)...And I figured that was usually a sufficient tip--pretty much the same as I'd tip at home... Of course, it took my wife awhile to catch on to that--she kept adding another 15% to the total every time she signed for a drink...until I discovered that and pointed it out to her...

But, then, at some point, we became Elite on Celebrity (and Diamond on Royal Caribbean)...and now, I was doing a major portion of my drinking during those "free" drinking hours pre-dinner...Well, I sort of knew the servers in these lounges were being compensated in some way or another by the cruise lines...But, to ME, it was free...and the service was REALLY GOOD...So, every cruise since I reached this status, on the last night of the cruise, I've gotten envelopes and put $20-40 in each (depending on the length of the cruise, etc.) and handed them out to each of the servers in these lounges...My thought is to pay the tips as if I were actually ordering and paying for the drinks...even if I was paying extra since these servers were, from what I can tell, being covered by Celebrity.

Flash forward to 2016...For the first time in my life, I have the all-you-can-drink packages on my next two cruises...Normally, I wouldn't buy these...The price generally works out to having to drink 6-7 drinks a night just to break even...and I normally don't drink anywhere near that--especially if I already have all of my pre-dinner drinks free...However, my two upcoming cruises, I have the packages thanks to the 123Go! promotions when I booked...

My thought regarding these is that Celebrity has already accounted for the drinks AND the tips in the overall pricing...so, basically, I have already paid for 6-7 drinks per night AND prepaid those tips...It's all just hidden in my cruise fare...

Now, since I may still not drink much more than I did before...and since I still might use the Elite lounge--since I enjoy the atmosphere, I am considering DECREASING the amount I tip these servers...After all, it's not like I am getting these drinks as freebie extras anymore...I am really being charged for them in my cruise fare...I assume that the 18% tip money added to the paid packages...and the added cruise fare that justifies the bonus packages...are being divvied up and given to ALL of the bar servers anyway...I may give a smaller amount extra to a server who goes way beyond...But, for the most part, I'm thinking I should take that discretionary extra gratuity budget and distribute it to the the underpaid crew--like the assistant waiters--some of whom really hustle for a far lower tip amount...

How does everyone else feel?

We tend to only drink in a few bars and have the same servers all the time. We get amazing service and feel that it is only right to reward this.

The last time we cruised was the first time that we had the drink package and our servers were great- they memorized our card numbers so that we didn't have to hand over our cards. They always had a bottle of water waiting for us when we arrived at our regular table. They learned my husband's favorite beer and made sure it was always in stock, once even going across the ship to get it. They know that I like to try a wide selection of cocktails and would often make me something off-menu.

For this type of service, we always tip extra. Not drink by drink but at the end of the cruise. I firmly believe that superior service deserves a reward, even if the original cost has been added into my cruisefare.

From what I have read the 18% is paid to the server based on the number of drinks they serve so it would seem to be no different than before which is what I am going with and then at the end of the cruise give an additional tip to our favorite servers in our favorite lounges just as we did before.

I am new to cruising ( been on 1 cruise got 7 booked). We pre paid our gratuities before we boarded and both purchased a drinks package. As I don't really know what the gratuities that we pre paid were for I just figured that I would imagine these didn't exist and just paid them.

This is what we did on our transatlantic crossing on reflection and will do again on the 7 we have booked:-

Evening Dining

We were select dining every night with no guarantee that we would have the same waiter each dinner time so we made our tipping system quite simple $10 to the waiter and $10 to the assistant waiter, if we used the sommelier then he would get $10 too. This was the same if we were in a speciality dining venue.

The Bars and Drink Servers:-

This was very simple, we have the person that we ordered our drinks with $1/$2 per drink, I know this might sound cheap but these were mainly soft drinks as the DH does not drink so a lot more diet cokes than Martinis. The exception was if I ordered the Martini Flight and then I think the DH gave $10 every time I ordered one. Cafe al Bacio was the same principle but I think it was $2 a drink.

The Final Night:-

We decided that the people that really has impressed us across the 2 weeks really did deserve a little extra from us so we gave the those individuals, various larger tips on the final night ranging from $100 to all the team on the Martini Bar(we found out that they pool all their tips) the same for our room attendant (this was on top of smaller tips we have given him throughout the cruise) $50 for the head and deputy Maitre'ds down to the varying different amounts for the waiters and other crew.

I have just asked the DH if he has any idea how much our tips were over the course of the cruise and he just said ....."I don't know, does it really matter, they worked for it, they made our memories and it's only money" [emoji3]

I do believe that tipping is a personal choice and do not feel that anyone should be forced/guilt tripped/pressured to give tips. I met someone on our cruise that refused to tip anything as he said that his pre paid gratuities were enough!!

You've given this careful reasoned thought (which most don't).

If you feel you've been given service in excess of your expectation, provide an additional gratuity that you feel appropriate considering the "prepaid gratuity" is already on the table.

Tipping is a personal matter and you have shown the understanding of the conundrum to make the respectful choice that suits you.

Happy Continued Cruising!

I am new to cruising ( been on 1 cruise got 7 booked). We pre paid our gratuities before we boarded and both purchased a drinks package. As I don't really know what the gratuities that we pre paid were for I just figured that I would imagine these didn't exist and just paid them.

This is what we did on our transatlantic crossing on reflection and will do again on the 7 we have booked:-

Evening Dining

We were select dining every night with no guarantee that we would have the same waiter each dinner time so we made our tipping system quite simple $10 to the waiter and $10 to the assistant waiter, if we used the sommelier then he would get $10 too. This was the same if we were in a speciality dining venue.

This was very simple, we have the person that we ordered our drinks with $1/$2 per drink, I know this might sound cheap but these were mainly soft drinks as the DH does not drink so a lot more diet cokes than Martinis. The exception was if I ordered the Martini Flight and then I think the DH gave $10 every time I ordered one. Cafe al Bacio was the same principle but I think it was $2 a drink.

We decided that the people that really has impressed us across the 2 weeks really did deserve a little extra from us so we gave the those individuals, various larger tips on the final night ranging from $100 to all the team on the Martini Bar(we found out that they pool all their tips) the same for our room attendant (this was on top of smaller tips we have given him throughout the cruise) $50 for the head and deputy Maitre'ds down to the varying different amounts for the waiters and other crew.

I have just asked the DH if he has any idea how much our tips were over the course of the cruise and he just said ....."I don't know, does it really matter, they worked for it, they made our memories and it's only money" [emoji3]

I do believe that tipping is a personal choice and do not feel that anyone should be forced/guilt tripped/pressured to give tips. I met someone on our cruise that refused to tip anything as he said that his pre paid gratuities were enough!!

A+++ Thank you.

Evening Dining

Hi

I have to say that tipping is a very immotive subject, depending on where your come from. I'm British and I alway pay the gratuities up front when I book the cruise, then if there is a specific person I want to give more too I do. We were on RCI in Australia a couple of years ago and a very nice American lady asked the bus driver where his tip box was an he replied " Hey Lady we pay a living wage here no need for a tips " . I also remember getting involved in some dialogue re tipping on a site and a man from Finland said that " If you left money on a table in Finland they would think you had forgotten to pick up you change. That how diverse this whole subject is. So my advise is (for what it's worth is ) pre pay when you book and give a bit more in cash if you feel it's appropriate.

Glyn

I'm usually a generous tipper too if the service is excellent. That said, I have never had a prepaid drink package and I really don't relish tipping in cash for every drink I get when I know the bartenders are already paid a tip on my drink.

If we use a particular bartender more than others and he/she recognizes us, I'll tip extra maybe mid-way through the cruise and on the last night. I'm not used to having to tip bartenders in cash on cruises (it's always been added to the paper slip & you an add in additional $ if you want). The thought of that extra hassle irritates me. I just don't want to have to think about it on vacation.

The servers do not get 18% on every drink they serve if you are on a package. The servers get the 18% gratuity that is built in. It might be more or significantly less. I admit to being a light tipper but reward great service. Thus $10 or $20 early on to my regular bar tender is appreciated and paid back in kind during the cruise. A bar tender handing a glass of wine or a beer is also different from the entertainment by the guys making martinis

It doesn't matter if each server gets 18% of the drink they serve you....they are getting their share of the pooled tips..just like in any bar. Folks are being charged 18% for opening a freaking beer bottle...absurd!

Keep the tips "as is"...and all is good. No need to tip more.

Edited by cb at sea

It doesn't matter if each server gets 18% of the drink they serve you....they are getting their share of the pooled tips..just like in any bar. Folks are being charged 18% for opening a freaking beer bottle...absurd!

Keep the tips "as is"...and all is good. No need to tip more.

Agree!

I usually take 50 one dollar bills and ten five dollar bills and use them for tips. We are elite and I tip the wait staff a dollar or two when they bring the drinks. The last night, I give the wait staff serving us $5 each.

Also, I usually give the room rewards $20 each for a two week cruise.

Tipping in BLU and Luminae is more complicated, since there are so many on the staff, so I give an envelope to the Matre-de with $50 at the end of the cruise. (We have only been in BLU once and Luminae once). For select dining, I tip when I order wine.

I am not sure if the staff pools the tips or if they keep them, but this way I try to give directly. Also, I do still pay the total grats.

A lovely sentiment and exactly how I feel. We are not wealthy, but when on a cruise we are treated like royalty for a week by people from other countries to whom $20 or $50 is a lot of money; people who work hard and send money home to make the lives of their extended families easier. Thanking them with extra tips and praise in Attention to Detail cards makes me feel better about being spoiled for a week.