eXciting news from Celebrity Cruises Email - REALLY?

So I receive this email this morning - ooh what is the new eXciting news - a new ship coming maybe, some amazing special offer?

Here is what it said:

eXciting things are happening here at Celebrity Cruises

If you've cruised with us before, you will know some of the unique and special experiences that you can only find on a Celebrity Cruises cruise holiday - such as feeling truly relaxed, as you lay on warmed tiles in the tranquil Persian Garden. Or feeling like you are back in France as you slide your spoon into a fluffy soufflé at our French restaurant Murano.

It's here, on a Celebrity Cruises cruise ship, where you can mark all of these experiences. And that's why we have created a brand new TV commercial to showcase the places and experiences that are uniquely Celebrity. Take a look below for a special preview and discover why we're the Best Premium Cruise Line.

Seriously?:confused: - a new video is your eXciting news Celebrity? No NEW exciting things in the video by the way - just telling us what we already know & in a way that was a little too romanticised for my taste.

Don't waste my time Celebrity with marketing emails that deliver NOTHING new!

I really like Celebrity & will cruise with them again sometime but not because of this new video. They really need to get a new marketing manager who understands the meaning of 'exciting news'. :rolleyes:

Edited by avalon007

I didn't even bother watching the video!

Then there is the Princess Australia Day sale where the prices seem to be exactly the same as they were before the sale, although they claim they are up to 30% pp off the launch fares. Makes me wonder how long those launch fares actually stay in effect for. A single day? I checked the cruise I'm booked on next and the price is just as high as I've ever seen it (I started looking at it around August last year). It did drop briefly last September, which is when I booked our cruise at roughly $600pp cheaper than the current "sale" price. And I've seen better OBC offerings as well.

This month has been just one email after another from RCI & Celebrity, plus the TAs "special deals" which I open in the hope that there will be something new! Arggg. Now it is the emails saying the offers are nearly at the end of their time. Then we all know what is coming......SALE EXTENDED DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND!!! Yay!

I did book something with the $300 OBC, plus the drink package, in the two perk Celebrity offer, and the cruise itself had only gone up about $140, so I can't say I haven't gotten something extra. (Originally had just the drink offer on the old booking.)

Unfortunately my FOMO (fear of missing out) kicks in and I have a look each time. Such a tragic hopeful!

I must say that I was looking at Ovation for a few months last year. The price on the balcony I wanted (D5) stayed pretty steady at just under $8,000 for the 14 nighter 9th Jan 17, and in the week before Christmas I looked and it went down even though there was no talk of a sale? So I did a bit of thinking about it, the D5 availability was mainly towards the aft, and that was now coming in at a bit over a thousand dollars less. We looked at all the likely places we would want to be going to, and ended up with an obstructed balcony for a few hundred less again.

Since the sales have started the prices have shot right up past what they were before (apart from that weird time when the whole ship became sold out, and then a bunch of cabins came back when it hit 12 months before sailing), and now I could be the proud owner of $300 OBC for an extra near $2,000 in overall cost. I know it is supply and demand, and Ovation is very much in demand, but that price drop was certainly a good catch compared to the emails that are not much of a catch lately.

These days it can be better to keep looking when the big advertised sales are not running. Also if something is sold out, it can have a bunch of cabins come back again.

FOMO - like it! :D

I think we all suffer from that a little from time to time.

We are also on the Ovation 9 Jan 2017 cruise - we booked when they first opened up the bookings last June - D8 balcony cabin which cost us $6486 with a whopping $50US OBC to spend! Woo Hoo. although the way the Aussie dollar is dropping that may be worth $100AUD by the time we board. :)

Very expensive compared to the other Royal ships for the same cruise, but hey it's Ovation - it's all shiny & new with new stuff to try out, so willing to pay for the privilege.

Sad how they think people get excited by an advertisement that offers nothing other than the usual.

Another who didn't click to watch.

Maybe we need to send them the CCer's guide to cruise marketing lingo.

eXciting news = new ship coming, amazing new ports, half price offers, massive OBC offer

Nothing to see here = your new TV advert :D

Thank you both for your comments about the Ovation. I missed the boat when the bookings first opened (pun intended). Today, I saw the ads in the sunday paper for the BOGO sale on the Ovation and I was wondering how these prices compared to last year. You have answered my question.

On the bright side, at least they didn't say 'click here for an exciting announcement' , so we didn't have to waste our time watching an advertisement.

I noticed the base prices in the advertising for Ovation have really gone up today ... lead in prices now $4000+ for first person!

Yes, at least you didn't have to click the button.

RCI's Ovation pricing is going through the roof partly due to it's limited stint here (supply and demand) and partly due to the dollar dropping. RCI will keep sending ships here if we keep filling them at these prices.

That explains the pricing Mic. I was sure when I looked a couple of months ago the cruise to Singapore looked good value - not great but good. Checked again just recently and the price was way up. The first time I checked was when RCL website was being flaky and it wouldnt let me book. Oh well. Move on.

I guess the 'sales' catch the newbie cruisers - but us savvy cruise addicts know better!

They mustn't realise either that we compare notes here on CC. :)

We also have the benefit I guess of knowing what we paid last cruise, so have a base line to know when something is a good deal.

Thank you both for your comments about the Ovation. I missed the boat when the bookings first opened (pun intended). Today, I saw the ads in the sunday paper for the BOGO sale on the Ovation and I was wondering how these prices compared to last year. You have answered my question.

I am glad it was a help. We just couldn't press the button on the prices when we first looked, and obviously the prices are not stopping people from booking. I am still watching prices to see how it goes over the next year, and I wonder if the big advertising pushes are really to get people to look, and then decide to go on one of the other ships as the relative price is tempting. Even Solstice with drink package and OBC offers is looking competitive!

Of course they do......they are out to hook the first timers with impulse buys....then once on board reel them in with FCC's...:D

I see a lot of people saying what a great special they got on social media groups. I am glad for them that they are happy.

Edited by goodycruising

I see a lot of people saying what a great special they got on social media groups. I am glad for them that they are happy.

This is why I do not discuss prices with anyone on board, finding out that someone has paid considerably less may ruin their holiday (or mine:eek:).

We also have the benefit I guess of knowing what we paid last cruise, so have a base line to know when something is a good deal.

I'm keeping a spreadsheet with all the costs for each cruise, one sheet per cruise, and a summary sheet for quick comparisons of per person per day. It comes in very useful at times, much better than relying on my memory.

I'm keeping a spreadsheet with all the costs for each cruise, one sheet per cruise, and a summary sheet for quick comparisons of per person per day. It comes in very useful at times, much better than relying on my memory.

That is a lot of cruises to keep track of or are they just the ones you are interested in?