Considering Cancelling Cruise - Zika Virus

We are due to set sail on 21st Feb in Anthem of the Seas on a 12 night Southern Caribbean cruise. We are very worried as we are receiving fertility treatment and therefore may be in the very early stages of pregnancy. The U.K. Foreign Office have advised pregnant or women who may be pregnant not to travel to areas where the Zika Virus is and 5 out of the 6 stops on this cruise are on their list. We have been told by Royal Caribbean that it will cost us £2500 to cancel the cruise as the flights from UK to US have been ticketed. This is over 50%of the total price we have paid for our holiday 😱 We have been told we can change to a different cruise at a price of £1500 on top of the full amount we have paid!!

Would we get bored on Anthem if we don't leave the ship when it docks?

I have tried contacting Royal Caribbean for advice, but their telephone advisors are less than useless knowing nothing about Zika and I've had no response from my post or private message on social media.

Is anyone else worried and going through similar?

Would we get bored on Anthem if we don't leave the ship when it docks?

No, you wold not be bored - plenty to do on board.

But, you need to consider some common sense. As with other health scares, this is one being sensationalized. There were thousands of people who were in Ebola affected countries and had no issues. The real chance of being affected is probably less than getting into a car accident on the way to the airport. And if you take just a few precautions if you do decide to visit some ports, your chances of being affected will be about the same as winning the lottery.

But, you need to consider some common sense. As with other health scares, this is one being sensationalized. There were thousands of people who were in Ebola affected countries and had no issues. The real chance of being affected is probably less than getting into a car accident on the way to the airport. And if you take just a few precautions if you do decide to visit some ports, your chances of being affected will be about the same as winning the lottery.

I think the OP is using common sense - having gone through fertility treatment ourselves in the past it is not something you would want to add extra risk no matter how small.

That said there is only so much we can control and so much more we can't!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Although I'm sure it is well-intentioned, the advice to stay on board is pointless. Zika is transfered by mosquito-bites, and those can fly towards the ship as well. The best thing to do is to talk to your insurance. I know that it might seem like people are responding too strongly to this, but the goverments of a few South American nations have advised their ENTIRE female population to not get pregnant until 2018. This is a serious threath. So the OP's concerns are very valid, this isn't some sort of 'killer bees everywhere' fearmongering situation. Being worried about your future baby when you go to a country that advices people against pregnancy IS using common sense. I would not go. If something does happen - no matter how small the chance- you would aways regret it.

(edit: Also, some precautions, like using extra strong DEET bug repellant might not jive with the fertility treatment etc.)

Edited by LisaNorthseadreamer

I like this post best, but YES everyone has different needs and issues. I should not tell anyone what to do. But, like above, quote, the chance of getting the virus are SLIM to none. We have travel the Caribbean, South America etc went on Many jungle tours etc and never even saw a mosquito DURING the DAY. Night would be different. Having said that, going into regions that are mosquito prone, like swampy and fresh water falls i.e. Jamaica and Costa Rica, deep jungles etc might be not a good idea. The CDC issues a generic alert, and does not specify details of the alert.

Maybe we are risk takers but I would go and take precautions if necessary like bug spry etc and stay near the ports or on the ship depending on the port of call and no deep exotic tours.

Edited by north29

This isn't a question for cruise critic, or the cruise line, or for your travel insurance.

This is a question for your doctor! Ask your doctor, and do what he/she says.

I agree to a point. It is firstly a health issue. However, it would be a win if the OP can get their money back if they need to cancel.

This isn't a question for cruise critic, or the cruise line, or for your travel insurance.

This is a question for your doctor! Ask your doctor, and do what he/she says.

I agree, but once the dr. says cancel it´s a question for travel insurance, not the cruise line.

I've spoken with our fertility clinic and they are unable to talk to me until Monday. I was just throwing the question out there to find out if there is anyone else in a similar situation.

My partner spoke with insurance yesterday who told him they were receiving calls from people currently in these areas that are pregnant, showing symptoms and are terrified and want to come home. I really would have thought that the cruise line would have atleast some information on their website for concerned customers. I won't know for atleast another week if I am expecting, only when I have confirmation and proof will Royal Caribbean consider a full refund. We are currently 28 days from embarkation and just feel we are in limbo at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Kylie and Richard

I've spoken with our fertility clinic and they are unable to talk to me until Monday. I was just throwing the question out there to find out if there is anyone else in a similar situation.

My partner spoke with insurance yesterday who told him they were receiving calls from people currently in these areas that are pregnant, showing symptoms and are terrified and want to come home. I really would have thought that the cruise line would have atleast some information on their website for concerned customers. I won't know for atleast another week if I am expecting, only when I have confirmation and proof will Royal Caribbean consider a full refund. We are currently 28 days from embarkation and just feel we are in limbo at the moment.

There has been a lot of discussion here about Zika. Here are a few links:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2301401&highlight=zika

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2304030&highlight=zika

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2301602&highlight=zika

One of the threads that reallyitsmema links to has this answer by Gigi:

----------------------------

"I'm in OB and the CDC just sent out an advisory on Friday that recommends pregnant women avoid travel to areas where Zika is found.

If you must travel to affected areas non-DEET repellents aren't strong enough protection in this kind of circumstance due to the extreme adverse effect of this virus on a growing fetus. It's a risk/benefit thing- the risk of DEET exposure is less than the risk to the fetus if the mother is bit by a Zika carrying mosquito. "

-------------------------

Note the comments about DEET; you won't be able to use it.

Even if your doctor says it's OK (not all doctors are always right; malpractise does happen), I would not go. I hope your insurance supports that decision.

Sorry this is causing you added stress. I hope your treatment works, you sound like you would be a good mommy. :-)

Thank you for posting those links reallyitsmema I'm new to this and hadn't seen anything else about it. I think our mind has been made up to transfer to a safer destination. The only thing we need to decide is where! We really want to be travelling at the same time as we had booked and to go somewhere warm to escape miserable British weather. There are so many places we won't consider due to terrorism and we thought the Caribbean was safer option, now our options are limited further [emoji37]

OP, I've been through IVF so I know some of what you're going through. If I were in your shoes I'd get my doctor to sign whatever documents necessary for the insurance company to cover my not traveling. Worst case I'd eat my loses.

It isn't about the actual risk of getting this illness, because that is likely low. I imagine you may be feeling a little fragile at times and you need to protect yourself from anything outside your control.

I wish you all the best.

Thank you for posting those links reallyitsmema I'm new to this and hadn't seen anything else about it. I think our mind has been made up to transfer to a safer destination. The only thing we need to decide is where! We really want to be travelling at the same time as we had booked and to go somewhere warm to escape miserable British weather. There are so many places we won't consider due to terrorism and we thought the Caribbean was safer option, now our options are limited further [emoji37]

You're welcome.:)

I wish you all the best.

One last perspective to consider...

There is no utopia for travel...it simply doesn't exist. We're going to the same Caribbean you have scheduled...and do so without one slight bit of hesitation.

There are issues everywhere. We just went on a Western Mediterranean cruise last summer...only 900 miles from the problems in the Middle East. It was one of the best cruises ever, and we never hesitated - and have only memories and no regrets.

If anyone feels that the one-in-a-million (or greater) chance a mosquito carrying this illness might potentially bite them on their cruise (without taking any precautions whatsoever to spray yourself as others suggested)...then perhaps utopia is nowhere to be found on the planet.

There is potentially more at stake than just you. So, I'd say cancel it. If you can afford fertility treatments, you should be able to lose a cruise fare.

Not sure if your travel insurance will cover something like this.

Is it too early for a pregnancy test before you leave? I mean the ones the doctors give out, not an OTC model, because they may be more accurate.

We decided to stay on the ship in one of our ports due to malaria. Still we did the bug spray. I think there's some Deet free insect repellent out there. We've used Naturapel wipes and take them w/ us on our shore excursions. On the really bad mosquito islands, we also wear Insect Shield clothing. When we mentioned Malaria, our doctor told us to wear long sleeves and long pants.

On our last cruise, we stayed on the ship four port days out of six. You can see a lot of beauty from the window.

Those bugs can catch a ride on the ship. We had a bug hitchhike from Monterey to Catalina Island.

Horrible timing! I bet you'd never heard of this virus when you made your final payment!

Edited by knittinggirl

There is potentially more at stake than just you. So, I'd say cancel it. If you can afford fertility treatments, you should be able to lose a cruise fare.

Not sure if your travel insurance will cover something like this.

Is it too early for a pregnancy test before you leave? I mean the ones the doctors give out, not an OTC model, because they may be more accurate.

We decided to stay on the ship in one of our ports due to malaria. Still we did the bug spray. I think there's some Deet free insect repellent out there. We've used Naturapel wipes and take them w/ us on our shore excursions. On the really bad mosquito islands, we also wear Insect Shield clothing. When we mentioned Malaria, our doctor told us to wear long sleeves and long pants.

On our last cruise, we stayed on the ship four port days out of six. You can see a lot of beauty from the window.

Those bugs can catch a ride on the ship. We had a bug hitchhike from Monterey to Catalina Island.

Lots of insurance policies in the US pay for fertility treatment. Ours paid for 3 IVF cycles which is the common coverage.

Edited by NJcruisenewbie

I like this post best, but YES everyone has different needs and issues. I should not tell anyone what to do. But, like above, quote, the chance of getting the virus are SLIM to none. We have travel the Caribbean, South America etc went on Many jungle tours etc and never even saw a mosquito DURING the DAY. Night would be different. Having said that, going into regions that are mosquito prone, like swampy and fresh water falls i.e. Jamaica and Costa Rica, deep jungles etc might be not a good idea. The CDC issues a generic alert, and does not specify details of the alert.

Maybe we are risk takers but I would go and take precautions if necessary like bug spry etc and stay near the ports or on the ship depending on the port of call and no deep exotic tours.

I agree wholeheartedly.

We just did exactly the same itinerary on Anthem as the OP is going on and never even saw a mosquito anytime when on that

cruise even although we went onshore at every port stop.

The Anthem has a great two section indoor solarium that could be used when in ports that concern the OP. IMO she is being way too cautious especially since she doesn't even know if she is pregnant but that is her prerogative. ;)

There is a simple test to determine if one is pregnant, even very early, or is that complicated by the fertility treatment? :confused:

attachment.php?attachmentid=374454&d=1453647269

attachment.php?attachmentid=374455&d=1453647269

attachment.php?attachmentid=374456&d=1453647269

attachment.php?attachmentid=374457&d=1453647269

P1151550.jpg.085f228e800747ed97fdd80b8940a3e8.jpg

P1151552.jpg.1a9dd1f31475c14c2d07ee16e4215130.jpg

P1151554.jpg.919d35623caa35f92c1ee9331fc1ebee.jpg

P1071155.jpg.89249826d99b7b9d34925a59ae9091d0.jpg

Edited by robtulipe