Norwegian Cruise Line to Move Getaway to Europe, Jade to U.K.

LauraS

I've just had a call from my PCC who made a valiant effort to stick up for the company, but her heart really wasn't in it. I'm sure she could see she was fighting a losing battle.

Apparently they are now being told it will be next week for UK pricing. They don't know why the Southampton stop on the 7th August has moved, but it seems to have messed quite a few peoples plans up.

I just can't believe NCLs skill in messing all this stuff up. People in the UK wanted Southampton as an embarkation point, not a port of call. It does mark a new low for them in my opinion.

Edited by KeithJenner

Just to clarify what my issue is, as some people don't seem to have quite grasped what I'm saying here.

The Jade leaves Hamburg on 30th July to Norway and returns on the 9th off August, when it sets off on another Norway trip.

Under the original plans, it was due to stop in Southampton on the 7th and the 17th of August. That gave those of us in the UK the following options:

Embark in Hamburg on the 30th July for an 8 night cruise leaving in Southampton on the 7th

Take a 10 night Southampton-Southampton round trip on the 7th August.

I'm sure I am not the only one who was planning on booking the 7th August round trip.

However, for some unknown reason, NCL have decided that on the 30th July cruise, Southampton will now be the first port of call rather than the last. This seems to be the only time that Southampton is not visited two days before Hamburg.

I can't think of a single benefit of this change, but there is a massive negative, which is that it is now not possible to sail on a Southampton round trip to Norway in August.

Our option now is to fly to Hamburg to sail on the 9th. We will then visit Southampton as a port of call on the 17th and then sail on for another day to disembark in Hamburg and fly home.

If we did this cruise then we would almost certainly jump ship in Southampton, meaning that we have flown to Hamburg to take an 8 night cruise whilst paying for 10 nights. I'd say that is extremely unlikely to make any sort of economic sense.

I have already priced up RCI for the equivalent cruise this year. Prices look pretty similar, but no need for flights and we only need to pay for the days we want.

Wait, what, Southampton is no more an embarkation port now?!

Hmm..

Not if you want to sail to Norway during the British school holidays, no.

You get to waste a day of your cruise in Southampton, but you have to get on an aeroplane to board the ship.

Edited by KeithJenner

Not if you want to sail to Norway during the British school holidays, no.

You get to waste a day of your cruise in Southampton, but you have to get on an aeroplane to board the ship.

Seems NCL missed a chance there!

edit: in this or the other thread someone shared two email addresses of the folks in charge of the itineraries, I wonder what their answers are..

Edited by FreestyleNovice

Seems NCL missed a chance there!

edit: in this or the other thread someone shared two email addresses of the folks in charge of the itineraries, I wonder what their answers are..

I think it was in the Bora Bora thread, actually I know it was cause that's where I found it: ;)

Originally Posted by Miller Loves Cruising View Post

If you guys have any questions about itineraries you can email Steve sstitt@ncl.com or Katty kbyrd@ncl.com and they should be able to answer any questions.

Edited by All-ready2cruise

Hi keith

Following your research very carefully as we are in the same position looking for school holiday cruises

Was looking at epic transatlantic next april but the cost of 1 way airfare is eyewatering!

How did you manage your airfare back from miami after the escape last year?

If its taking off topic to reply here can you email me at cruisecritic@escomb.org.uk

Lyn

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Forums mobile app

Hi Lyn,

I'm just sending you an email.

HI all!

I booked the Getaway for May 25/17 round trip from Copenhagen & see on my TA's invoice that the stop in Sweden is Gothenburg. What do you think of this port? Is it as good as Stockholm or more like Nynashamn please?

I am looking so forward to doing this itinerary in a studio cabin on the lovely Miami themed Getaway.;)

~ Jo ~ :)

Thanks. Still nothing loaded on UK site but that looks interesting. I wonder if they'll allow a Miami - Southampton or Southampton - Copenhagen option. In fact a Southampton - Copenhagen b2b with the first 9 day Baltics would be ideal.

The eternal optimist, I am holding the first Baltics B2B with the TA, too. Deposits were small so I don't mind tying up some funds. Reality is that I'll never get the time away from work approved....unless I'm no longer working!?! :D Final payment is a long way off and you never know. ;)

A more likely B2B for me will be the 8 day Baltics on Oct. 7th (held this, too) with whatever the eventual TA return to Miami ends up being.

Kim

HI all!

I booked the Getaway for May 25/17 round trip from Copenhagen & see on my TA's invoice that the stop in Sweden is Gothenburg. What do you think of this port? Is it as good as Stockholm or more like Nynashamn please?

I am looking so forward to doing this itinerary in a studio cabin on the lovely Miami themed Getaway.;)

Approx 500 km distance from Stockholm on the other side of the country.

Annie

HI all!

Sailing from Helsinki to Gothenburg, you pass Denmark then double back on yourself??

Annie

Edited by anniegb

On reflection, I think it is an error.

Study any map. To sail from Helsinki to Gothenburg instead of Stockholm would add another sea day.

Annie

I thought that at first, but I'm not sure. It depends how much leeway they have with timings on the usual schedule.

If you take out the time spent sailing into Stockholm through the Archipelago then I wouldn't rule out being able to get to Gothenburg and back if they get a move on.

On reflection, I think it is an error.

Study any map. To sail from Helsinki to Gothenburg instead of Stockholm would add another sea day.

Annie

That variation does indeed have the sea day necessary between Helsinki and Gothenberg.

Day Cruise Ports Arrive Depart

Thu Copenhagen, Denmark (EMBARK) --- 5:00 pm

Fri Berlin (Warnemunde), Germany 7:30 am 10:00 pm

Sat At Sea --- ---

Sun Tallinn, Estonia 9:00 am 5:30 pm

Mon St. Petersburg, Russia 8:00 am ---

Tue St. Petersburg, Russia --- 7:00 pm

Wed Helsinki, Finland 7:00 am 4:00 pm

Thu At Sea --- ---

Fri Gothenburg, Sweden 10:00 am 7:00 pm

Sat Copenhagen, Denmark (DISEMBARK) 7:00 am ---

Kim

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

Just taking a very rough measure, using my finger, I think it is probably about 800 miles from Helsinki to Gotheburg. The schedule gives them 42 hours (assuming no time difference), so it's probably possible, but tight.

Agreed.

However you must pass Denmark en route and then double back??

BTW give me Stockholm over Gothenburg any day - JMO.

Annie

Agreed.

However you must pass Denmark en route and then double back??

BTW give me Stockholm over Gothenburg any day - JMO.

Annie

Yes, you will have to double back.

To be clear, I would rather go to Stockholm over most places, as long as I was docked in Stockholm. If the option is Nynshamn then it's a different matter for me.