Bank problem on board account

Yes, and if you could look at this objectively, you would see that they are correct in doing this. I don't know that any business would take a picture of a credit card. Can you get a hotel room with a picture? What about a rental car? Could you buy a leather sectional with a picture of a credit card? See where I am going with this?

Having said that, I am sorry to hear about your problems and I do hope you get things worked out. I'm sure you are stressed beyond belief over this. :(

The entirety of online shopping relies on you typing in the number rather than swiping a physical card - including paying for a cruise if you book online, or the agent typing in the number you give them if you book over the phone. It is absolutely possible for the cruise line to type the number in to their terminal at guest services.

So I talked with guest services and they said they'd call the police in Ft Lauderdale if I couldn't settle it by the end of the cruise.

The police will not get involved as this is a civil issue. If you can not settle the account at the end of the cruise they will have you sign a promissory note with a specific time line to pay. If not payed by that time it will go to collections for further action.

something doesnt smell right on this... they put a hold for a certain amount on your card when you board and if you go over it they immediately put a hold on for more or not allow you to purchase more.

so if you had $2000 in your account (for example), they will put a hold of $200 when you get on the ship. then they put more holds on each day. if you attempt to go over what they have on hold, they will stop your account and ask you to go to guest services.

If you had $2000 and they put on holds for what you purchased (say $1000) and someone hacked your account, the most the hacker could get was the $1000 remaining. if you tried to purchase more after you were hacked, you would not be able to and you would be asked to go to guest services.

I dont see how you can run up a bill of $1000 that was not in your account. They would never let that happen.

also - the ship would never tell you they would call the police. they would make you sign a promissory note.

Edited by hftmrock

This is why i never link a debit card. The holds alone can clean u out and leave u without enough at the end. We also do not link a CC. We take with us the amount of cash we plan to spend and dont go over. We pay it w cash. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It is absolutely possible for the cruise line to type the number in to their terminal at guest services.

I would think so too. Sounds to me like someone at GS has no idea what they are talking about. Call the law? Really? That's just dumb for them to even say.

They will either manually enter the CC# or make the OP sign a promissory note.

I have not read the contract you sign with rcl so I could be off the mark here but when you sign and say you are going to pay from your bank account by the end of the cruise, that IS a promissory note. its a contract. if you do not pay you have in fact committed fraud by law. they can call the police. whether or not they do I don't have a clue but they certainly can.

its the same as signing a cheque when you have no money in your account. your saying your going to pay but you can't. its considered fraud. wish I had a dollar for every time I called the police for that in my thirty odd years of banking. my next cruise would be paid for. don't read into that that the police were called every time there was a bounced cheque but there were lots of reasons that would have us do just that.

Edited by tinkertwo

I was trying to help and read older threads...

if you really owe that money and are onboard here is what one person mentioned

You do have to call the Gifts and Gear department to add OBC. I dont think it can be purchased online

The phone number is (800) 722-5443 and the code # you give them is #651 for onboard credit purchase.

use your amex card (this is the phone so all you need to do is give them the number, expiration and code.)

something doesnt smell right on this... they put a hold for a certain amount on your card when you board and if you go over it they immediately put a hold on for more or not allow you to purchase more.

so if you had $2000 in your account (for example), they will put a hold of $200 when you get on the ship. then they put more holds on each day. if you attempt to go over what they have on hold, they will stop your account and ask you to go to guest services.

If you had $2000 and they put on holds for what you purchased (say $1000) and someone hacked your account, the most the hacker could get was the $1000 remaining. if you tried to purchase more after you were hacked, you would not be able to and you would be asked to go to guest services.

I dont see how you can run up a bill of $1000 that was not in your account. They would never let that happen.

also - the ship would never tell you they would call the police. they would make you sign a promissory note.

Agree.

Pardon my ignorance here, not intended as an attack on the OP. If the OP's Setpass account is on hold, how are they able to access the internet? Is it from the mobile phone?

How easy is it for the OP to make contact with a relative / friend at home and ask them to temporarily transfer some $'s to the OP's account and settle the bill at the end?

Is it possible to buy something from one of the shops that costs around $1000? Just a curious enquiry.

Pardon my ignorance here, not intended as an attack on the OP. If the OP's Setpass account is on hold, how are they able to access the internet? Is it from the mobile phone?

How easy is it for the OP to make contact with a relative / friend at home and ask them to temporarily transfer some $'s to the OP's account and settle the bill at the end?

I bought the internet package. Still getting its use.

Is it possible to buy something from one of the shops that costs around $1000? Just a curious enquiry.

Yep, lots of jewelry...

Well, they did allow that to happen. I have $2000 in holds and $3000 in charges.

Also, the gal did tell me that. Not making that up at all.

I appreciate everyone's advice. I understand the skepticism, but what would I have to gain by making this up? This cruise will make 47 total nights on RCCL. I love Royal, but I am just perplexed by the lack of understanding on the ship.

I was trying to help and read older threads...

if you really owe that money and are onboard here is what one person mentioned

You do have to call the Gifts and Gear department to add OBC. I dont think it can be purchased online

The phone number is (800) 722-5443 and the code # you give them is #651 for onboard credit purchase.

use your amex card (this is the phone so all you need to do is give them the number, expiration and code.)

Thanks, I am working on this avenue, but it sounds like its a dead-end. Rep I spoke to said it had to be done 1 day before the sailing but sent a follow up and I will get called tomorrow to see if it can be done.

Edited by PropsR4boats

I don't do credit cards either, I also don't do car loans, or mortgages. Credit is evil. I've been told I'm crazy, called a dead beat, immature, irresponsible, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

The reality is living a credit free life is much harder than living a life addicted to credit, but once the initial leg work is done and all your ducks are in a row it becomes vastly easy and the rewards are so so sweet.

Now, on to your problem. Fraud is like libel and slander, all three need the existence of malice to be committed. Royal may call the police, but going off the info you have given you aren't going to jail. As others have said you will have to sign something then it is a debt. If you don't pay that debt they will sell it to a collection agency for pennies on the dollar and eventually you will get sued and if you don't pay then wages will be garnished.

Now for your long term solution:

- Get a new bank, your's sucks. Talk to prospective banks in great detail about their debit card policies. The limit at my bank is a next business day hold, meaning if a hold is placed on my card at 11:59pm for $100 at 9:00am the following day it either clears as a transaction or is re-credited to my account. You are looking for a bank that treats their debit cards the same as a credit card, that mastercard or visa logo on your debit card means they "can" but don't have to, find one that does.

- Have a primary savings account not a primary checking account. Find a bank that will automatically tie these accounts together and will also automatically "refill" the checking account tied to the debit card. Generally there is an automatic limit here enforced by bank policy, but check. (ie They will refill automatically but only $300 or $500 per day, blah blah blah, over draft charges, blah blah blah).

If you would have done the above two things you would be out 2 to 3 over draft charges from your bank that you could probably get reversed once you got home to fix the missing money in your account.

Maybe this would work. I have seen Royal doing sign ups for their credit card at the Crown and Anchor counter on the ship. This was on the Allure a few years ago. I heard a guy telling someone they could immediately begin using it. I don't know if they still do that or if it's on all ships but it's worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd also be visiting the shops onboard and trying to return the jewelry, just to get the on board account as minimal as possible. Not much you can do with drinks and consumed items, but maybe the jewelry can go back.

This must happen, seriously, on every single cruise. I'm sure they do not call the police - they do find some way to work it out.

yes they do call the cops if you cannot secure payment before leaving( and no they do not take your word for it/send you bill). this can mean anything from having someone physically bring a new credit card, to forking over cold hard cash.

I don't do credit cards either, I also don't do car loans, or mortgages. Credit is evil. I've been told I'm crazy, called a dead beat, immature, irresponsible, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

we paid cash for our last car(in the interest of full disclosure, the other guy's insurance paid for it really) we are looking to purchase a home in FL next month for what amounts to be under $1000/month mortgage( 15 year fixed and assuming I budget properly can actually have it paid off in 10) and we have a credit card that gets paid in full every month.

credit is NOT evil IF you manage it properly. and a credit card is the modern way of doing things. it is your best interest to have one for times such as this. hell make it a secured one with a very low credit limit if you have to( say $1500)

Sounds like your bank allowed false charges to your account while you are out of the country which could send you to jail! Your bank should help you get off the ship by covering the charges OR I would switch banks as soon as this mess is straightened out! Call your bank!

First post it was $1000 now it's $5000.

I know for a fact that if you have your card details they will manually enter it, the card does not need to be swiped.

It's a bit different going into a shop with just the numbers but in these circumstances they would do it.

I also have never understood why some people "don't do credit cards". What would these people do in emergency situations? To each their own, but I find extreme value with credit cards. Earning points and paying off the charges every month works best for us!

Again, situations like these could be avoided by simple "doing credit cards"........

Exactly. Lots of people don't use because of past problems. Using a debit card has been defended here as apposed to a credit card as far as safety, but obviously not so safe after all. At least not as far as speed in recovering funds lost to fraud

I don't. I don't carry credit cards and I don't ever charge on one. I do keep an Amex at home for vet emergencies. I have 4 cats and anyone who owns a pet can attest that vet bills of several thousand can occur at any time.

It's irrelevant though because they refuse to take the number and photo of the card sent from home.

I don't understand how leaving a credit card at home in your name will help emergency vet. I bet you'll never cruise again without it in your pocket. I'm sure it will be resolved somehow.

As far as them needing the card to swipe? That's bull. They can book your cruise, buy excursions, add OBC, etc over the phone without it. Why need it now?

Sounds like your bank allowed false charges to your account while you are out of the country which could send you to jail! Your bank should help you get off the ship by covering the charges OR I would switch banks as soon as this mess is straightened out! Call your bank!

I don't know how it works in the US but in the UK if you don't have the cash in a debit account you can't charge anything to it, unless you have an agreement for an overdraft, so how the OP got charged anything with an empty account sounds impossible.

Why?

Seeing that the OP has a credit card and internet access is there a way they can go onto their online cruising account and change the details.

Alternativly, could the OP's bank organise a temporary ovverdraft to cover the onboard account.

I am very curious as to how the OP ran up such a big bill on the ship......

I am also suprised that RCL arent more understanding and helpful in trying to help the OP sort this issue out. They have been upfront with customer services and have gone to them 2 days before the end of the trip - not as if they have tried to leave the ship without saying anything and then act all suprised when they are stopped!

Good luck getting it sorted - let us know what happens.

4 separate $500 charges to a "KSDDF". USBank won't refund or credit until I come in and sign an affidavit because I called and told them not to freeze my card because I would be traveling international. They did say they'd take a fax, but that's 3-5 business days.

I agree, I think "#4" will happen. They've tried 1,2,and 3.

Ok, someone mentioned "bad decisions?" Let me get this straight. You "don't do credit cards." But you "left a credit card for a friend to use" if a vet is needed for your cat? Hmm... must trust that friend an awful lot. But here's the thing. WHY would you call your bank and tell them "not to freeze my card because I would be traveling international" if you weren't taking your credit card with you? If your friend used it at the vet, wouldn't your bank question a local charge, signed by a friend, after you have told them you were out of the country? I know mine would.

I can't believe that Royal Caribbean won't take your credit card number and run the charge to clear your account. If the charge is rejected they'd be back at step zero. But when you book on line, they don't swipe your card. So, not buying that one.

Anyway, you seem to certainly have made some "weird" decisions? I won't say "bad," but definitely "weird." My guess, more to this situation than you are really saying.

As for "no one's business" why someone doesn't like credit cards. True. Unless they come on a public forum with their financial woes, then it seems a perfectly reasonable question.

At the risk of getting totally flamed, I wonder at the validity of the OP's situation, or is he working a way to get off the ship with a $1000 debt and pay it off at his leisure (or not at all). Sorry, that's my opinion based on the "weird" decisions he says he has made.