Zika virus

Jaylie

Actually, I don't think this is a new virus but discovered decades before ....just in the news due to the microcephaly birth defects in such great numbers in Brazil.

I understand they are working on a genetic mutation of the males in this mosquito species, which also may be responsible for the Chikagunya virus and Dengue fever....both of which have worse symptoms than Zika.

I just got a lot of mosquito repellent which I will be very diligent about using when in these areas.

You are absolutely correct, I read that it has been around for decades after I posted.

My dd just returned from 3 weeks in South America, Peru, Argentina and Brazil. She used DEET religiously but still got bitten while she was staying in the rainforest.

She came home last week suffering from flu like symptoms. She wasn't tested so there is no way to know if it is Zika or just a nasty germ she caught while on her travels.

There is now information that there is a suspected relationship between Zika and the onset of Guillian Barre syndrome in children and adults.

Much more information should be forthcoming once more research is completed regarding Zika. Everyone needs to be very aware that the level of research on this topic is not developed and that most of the cases are occurring in countries where research priorities may not be the same as the US or Europe. Until we know more, I certainly would not go ashore in any of the ports where the mosquitoes may be present.

You are absolutely correct, I read that it has been around for decades after I posted.

My dd just returned from 3 weeks in South America, Peru, Argentina and Brazil. She used DEET religiously but still got bitten while she was staying in the rainforest.

She came home last week suffering from flu like symptoms. She wasn't tested so there is no way to know if it is Zika or just a nasty germ she caught while on her travels.

Same here....I was just down in Mexico last month and had many bites all over my legs and arms. I felt just a bit sluggish but not sick. My DH, who didn't notice any bites (but he never does even when he does have them) did get a fever, chills and just felt yucky for a few days. So hard to say if either of us suffered as a result of a mosquito bite or if it was just another nasty germ.

No....it's transmitted from mosquito to person, not from person to person. So far, the CDC reports no "native" Zika in the US -- i.e. everyone in the US with it has caught it while traveling, not while in the US. There is concern, though, that a different species of mosquito might be able to transmit Zika if the virus changes (as viruses do sometimes).

Sorry, according to the CDC, there are cases of sexual transmission.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry, according to the CDC, there are cases of sexual transmission.

That was just reported very recently...........which highlights what I was trying to say....we just don't have a very clear picture yet. A chance at Guillian Barre is not something that I want to deal with.....!!

That was just reported very recently...........which highlights what I was trying to say....we just don't have a very clear picture yet. A chance at Guillian Barre is not something that I want to deal with.....!!

I agree with you. We don't know what the long term affects are yet. I don't plan on cancelling our cruise, but we will be careful on what excursions we take. Luckily our cruise is a year away, hopefully they will have more information.

So for those of you who won't travel to areas with the Zika Virus, you better not come to Florida. From the Miami Herald Today:

Gov. Rick Scott: Zika public health emergency expanded to Broward

Gov. Rick Scott on Thursday announced that a public health emergency he declared in the state will be expanded to include Broward County as the number of confirmed cases of Zika virus grows to 12.

Speaking in Tampa alongside Surgeon General John Armstrong, Scott urged Floridians to be prepared, "just like a hurricane." He has also asked the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to provide the state with at least 1,000 kits to test pregnant women who show symptoms of the virus.

All 12 of the confirmed cases in Florida are travel-related, and there have been no known transmissions in the state.

On Wednesday, Scott signed an executive order declaring the public health emergency in Hillsborough, Miami-Dade, Santa Rosa and Lee counties.

So for those of you who won't travel to areas with the Zika Virus, you better not come to Florida. From the Miami Herald Today:

Gov. Rick Scott: Zika public health emergency expanded to Broward

Gov. Rick Scott on Thursday announced that a public health emergency he declared in the state will be expanded to include Broward County as the number of confirmed cases of Zika virus grows to 12.

Speaking in Tampa alongside Surgeon General John Armstrong, Scott urged Floridians to be prepared, "just like a hurricane." He has also asked the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to provide the state with at least 1,000 kits to test pregnant women who show symptoms of the virus.

All 12 of the confirmed cases in Florida are travel-related, and there have been no known transmissions in the state.

On Wednesday, Scott signed an executive order declaring the public health emergency in Hillsborough, Miami-Dade, Santa Rosa and Lee counties.

There's no doubt in my mind that Florida is going to be a breeding ground to the virus in a few months. No way to avoid it.

I'm still wondering if I get it once can you contract it again or are you immune to it?

As one who won the contest of most mosquito bites (32) on vacation in NC one year, I'm really debating about cruising in November. Some of the islands mentioned that have the virus are ports we are to visit. I'm well over childbearing age, however, I don't want to experience flu like symptoms while on a cruise ship! Lots to think about.

Have a nice day.

Carol

There's no doubt in my mind that Florida is going to be a breeding ground to the virus in a few months. No way to avoid it.

I'm still wondering if I get it once can you contract it again or are you immune to it?

I wish I knew the answer as well. There doesn't seem to be any definitive responses from the CDC or any of the foreign agencies.

My grandson comes home almost every day with mosquito bites from playing outside in his daycare.

When we take the dogs out at night it seems like the blood sucking critters manage to make there way into our house no matter how quickly we open and close the front door.

I see that some people are minimizing our concern on this board yet we don't know the long term effects of this virus or even all the ways it can possibly be transmitted. One baby born in the US with micocephaly related to Zika is one baby too many.

I'm equally concerned about Lyme disease when I am up in the Adirondacks but obviously I can control my exposure to ticks far easier than I can to mosquitoes down here.

I wish I knew the answer as well. There doesn't seem to be any definitive responses from the CDC or any of the foreign agencies.

My grandson comes home almost every day with mosquito bites from playing outside in his daycare.

When we take the dogs out at night it seems like the blood sucking critters manage to make there way into our house no matter how quickly we open and close the front door.

I see that some people are minimizing our concern on this board yet we don't know the long term effects of this virus or even all the ways it can possibly be transmitted. One baby born in the US with micocephaly related to Zika is one baby too many.

I'm equally concerned about Lyme disease when I am up in the Adirondacks but obviously I can control my exposure to ticks far easier than I can to mosquitoes down here.

I don't really think they know for sure how infectious this virus is at this point. I'm reading this morning that it's contained in saliva & urine as well. This can be a nightmare for the cruise lines trying to drum up new business or maybe it will be a bargain for others looking for a good deal and not worrying about pregnancy.

All that aside, we have't seen that many mosquitoes in the Caribbean on our travels but then again no longer do tours to the rain forests.

I think that we will continue to get much more accurate information now that the US is involved in testing and reporting, and that the disease is unfortunately spreading. There are some possible short term effects that haven't been even discussed yet, like neuro symptoms of dizziness and hearing loss in a small number of infected patients.....this is not yet proven but some researchers think that there is a relationship to Zika.

We have a cruise booked in December, but I would not cancel at this point. Rather, I would choose to stay on the ship when in areas that have proven infected mosquito populations. Areas of concern right now are for pregnant mothers and also for all adults and children due to the incidence of Guillian Barre in some infected adults and children. Although a small percentage (or at least it seems that way) no one wants to risk the chance of paralysis. It seems that there is under reporting of the incidence of the disease in some South American countries and, of course, along with that would be missing information about other effects of the Zika virus.

We will all benefit from more scientific data and be able to make much more informed decisions.

Edited by Clampram

I guess I'll pack my deet and hope for the best. We have had mosquito control here for 30 years. It makes a huge difference. But the Lime disease is a constant worry when you're in the woods. If I was pregnant, I know I wouldn't go.

Edited by Pmorton3360

As usual, there's a ton of hype to this topic. Not to diminish that there can be serious consequences, but just today (2/5/15) in the WSJ, Brazil is finding MUCH fewer cases due to this bug. And this is just the initial review since they really weren't sure what the rate was before this perked up. Here's hoping the best for all.

My wife and I cancelled our upcoming cruise on Regal because of Zika. Although we're not pregnant, we're going through treatments and our doctor advised us not to go because of the unknown variables and they're saying if you get bitten, to avoid getting pregnant for 2 years.

• 3 weeks later...

A doctor friend told us a situation where four guys were in St Maarten playing golf without any insect repellent just last week. Now all four have Zika. Not the smartest bunch of guys, for sure.

We don't need to panic; just take the right precautions by using bug spray, staying away from vegetation and not being in natural mosquito habitat in the early morning/evening. I think what is surprising everyone is how powerful this virus is.

On Royal Princess 2/8 - We were all over both sides of Maarten / St Martin Island on 2/12...did not see one mosquito. Same with St Thomas & Water Island on 2/11. On Emerald Princess 2/15 & again not one mosquito and/or bug at Cozumel Passion Island -or- Chacchoben Myan Ruins Costa Maya in the jungle areas where we thought we might have a problem. We did use Deet as a precaution - but as far as we know - no one had a problem with or without insect repellant. However - just to be safe...use a repellant. Locals (of course) say news media for these area way over-blown.

On Royal Princess 2/8 - We were all over both sides of Maarten / St Martin Island on 2/12...did not see one mosquito. Same with St Thomas & Water Island on 2/11. On Emerald Princess 2/15 & again not one mosquito and/or bug at Cozumel Passion Island -or- Chacchoben Myan Ruins Costa Maya in the jungle areas where we thought we might have a problem. We did use Deet as a precaution - but as far as we know - no one had a problem with or without insect repellant. However - just to be safe...use a repellant. Locals (of course) say news media for these area way over-blown.

Most bad news stories result in headlines and exaggerations. One should take precautions, but shouldn't stress about it.

Overblown or not, we've got 3 new cases here in Florida today making a total of 32 in all and it's not even mosquito season yet. If I were in the category of being pregnant or planning to be, I would at least take some precautions. We did see women on yours recently covered from heat to toe with long pants, jackets & hats going on tours. Sort of uncomfortable in the heat.

Just a note from one very concerned expectant Dad and Princess Elite cruiser to everyone saying the situation may be overblown. My Wife and I took a December Caribbean Cruise at 18 weeks pregnant as we are both avid Princess cruisers and wanted to squeeze in one more, just the two of us. No warnings had been issued yet. However, having recently sat in the Dr's office and been told the potential seriousness of the situation, my Wife and unborn Son being potentially affected, a series of CDC tests and waiting periods begun and sleepless nights any prayers. Please don't make light of it, downplay it, or take it less seriously than it should be. We are in the scared phase of potentially life altering questions and issues for our son. Thanks for letting me rant.