Help pick our ship!

JEN5508

This will be our first time cruising. Our kids are 11 and 14 and my parents are mid 50s...we want something to accommodate all of us with plenty to do.

We will be going in either June/July 2016...we are flexible...I'm thinking 6 or 7 nights unless you think less would be better for kids.

Jennifer

You do not say where you want to sail from

Pick Carnival RCCL or NCL look at what ships leave from the port you want to drive or fly to then see what each offer

I would take 7 days or more

the shorter cruises are party cruises (drinkers)

I agree that Royal Caribbean would be a great choice. Carnival and NCL will be a little cheaper, but RCI is going to offer more for everyone. Also check the RCI website and you'll see what and where the ships are going during the summer. Have fun!

Jennifer, you have a lot of options.

Think about Bermuda out of New York or New Jersey.

Caribbean out of Florida

Alaska out of Vancouver.

I think for a first cruise that the Caribbean or Bermuda would be nice.

For Bermuda look at Celebrity or NCL.

For Florida Royal Caribbean.

Keith

Everything is going to be new for you. You don't need to start with the ship with the most bells and whistles. Any of the Carnival ships other than the Fantasy class would be fine, especially the Dream class. You aren't going to miss what you haven't experienced. EM

Pick destinations you want to go to in summer. Then pick a ship with a 7 day itinerary that you like (7 days is not short and long enough to unpack). I would suggest Disney cruises (the grandparents may find adult areas) or one of the (22) Royal Caribbean ships with kids clubs for the kids to participate in. Both have kids activities that will keep everyone happy and adult only spaces for the adults.

I think you are smart to select Royal Caribbean over Carnival as it can become a party atmosphere for young adults more often than the other ships. But they have a lot to do on all the ships. When I took my kids we stayed with 3,000 or less passenger ships but the mega ships have a lot more things to do on them. NCL has a very relaxed dress code for cruising, too.