White noise

cruisingkris01

Hi there! My mom and I are going on our first cruise this July with my aunt and 3 cousins. We're headed to Alaska! My dad, who passed away in November 2014, always wanted to go to Alaska so this is as much for him as it is us. Anyway, both my mom and I need white noise when we sleep so we both have air purifiers in our rooms. Is there anything that we can take with us on the cruise and flight that's small enough and allowed to produce some noise? Also, do you recommend packing said item in your carry on or checked luggage? Neither of us have flown since 2000 so we haven't had to deal with the new rules since 9/11. BTW, we're sailing on Royal Caribbean. Thank you!:)

There are white noise machines ..either as s single machine or as part of a clock. They are small and can be easily packed. I don't know if they can be in carry on luggage. If you look on line for whatever airline you are using. You will find non-allowable items. I would recommend that you fly to your departure city at least a day early?

I would suggest looking for a battery-operated 'sleep machine' as ships are getting pickier and pickier as to what electric appliances they allow on board. And Royal Caribbean is one of the pickiest. Though when this question has been asked before others have answered that they have an app on their phone that produces white noise.

We use white noise for our DD. We use an mp3 player and speakers. We pack them in checked luggage. Size of speaker is the limiting factor here. Usually really small decent quality speakers are expensive. You'll need to download or buy some white noise tracks. Personally we use "rain on a tin roof".

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I have a white noise app on my iPod Touch. It has several different sounds, some "real life" sounds, such as thunderstorms and urban traffic (really!), and other "color" sounds, such as white noise, pink noise and brown noise. All different pitches. I like the brown noise.

We also cannot sleep without a white noise machine anymore. It is a great invention, but once you start using one, you can't live without it.

If your local mall has a Brookstone store, go there as they have a wide selection of machines. We bought two from there; one for home use and a smaller one for when we are cruising.

Edited by nfcu
misspelling

I have a Kindle fire from Amazon and downloaded a free white noise fan app. I've also got a small blue tooth speaker. I'm going on a cruise later this month and haven't tried this before. I use an air purifier too for white noise at home. The tablet and speaker are fairly small and I plan to take them in my carry on.

Hi there! My mom and I are going on our first cruise this July with my aunt and 3 cousins. We're headed to Alaska! My dad, who passed away in November 2014, always wanted to go to Alaska so this is as much for him as it is us. Anyway, both my mom and I need white noise when we sleep so we both have air purifiers in our rooms. Is there anything that we can take with us on the cruise and flight that's small enough and allowed to produce some noise? Also, do you recommend packing said item in your carry on or checked luggage? Neither of us have flown since 2000 so we haven't had to deal with the new rules since 9/11. BTW, we're sailing on Royal Caribbean. Thank you!:)

Get an app for your phone or tablet.

I'm another one who takes along a white noise machine. I simply pack mine in my checked luggage.

At home I have my clock radio on low, with the radio tuned to the local NPR (National Public Radio) station. It plays, almost exclusively classic or jazz music. That's my at home white noise machine.