Non USA embarkation/disembarkation and money question

1of4

I have much time on my hands these days so I got to the dangerous occupation of thinking.... With the exchange rate for most non-US currencies at "hard to justify" levels with the US $ I was wondering what non US citizens are doing with cruises that do not leave or return to US ports. Like cruises in the Mediterranean, Baltics, Asia, Australia or even Alaskan cruises out of Vancouver.

My question is for extra tipping, if you chose to do it, will you pay in your local currency or will you exchange your currency to US dollars?

My cruise is in July 2017 out of Amsterdam so I am hoping for a more positive exchange rate by then but I was just wondering what others do routinely. If you live in Europe and are sailing from a European port, for example, would you ensure you had US cash on hand for extra tipping onboard? It seems a bit too much, to me, to lose (currently) 40 cents on the dollar to give a tip in a currency that the ship is not visiting.

Noet, we always pay the HSC (times 4) and would not change that. This question is only for extra tips handed out during or on the last day of the cruise.

I am hoping to do an Alaska cruise this season, and we did an Alaska cruise last year (as the Cdn $ was really starting to drop :eek: ) Last year the US $s we owned were near-par (purchased well in advance). This year, the US $s we already own are still cheaper than the current rate, but when those are spent, they need to be replaced.

So I've been giving this a LOT of thought. The only expected/required payment is the HSC, and we keep that in place (as you have mentioned you do). So anything beyond that is "gravy", right? After reading some of the posts about the shopping that gets done in Vancouver, I think I'll be doing a "blend", some US $ and some Cdn $. So the recipients can decide what to do with each currency. When they are in Alaska they will have US $s to use as they want. When they are in Vancouver, they will have Cdn $s to use as they want.

I am unsure what your posts have to do with the topic of this thread. Most Canadians are well aware of what the problem is, and I see no "blame" being assigned.

Specifically to this

[quote] The real question that the OP does not ask is whether a Canadian is justified by making others pay the price for the unfortunate (and we think temporary) decline in the value of Canadian currency? And we think the answer is clearly no.[endquote]

nowhere does the OP suggest making others "pay the price". I find that comment offensive, well beyond insulting. For some reason, I expect better from you. I think it is far beneath you, hlitner, to make such an insulting comment. The OP clearly stated the HSC would be left in place, and as you and virtually every other CC poster knows, payment of the HSC is the only expected/required payment to the crew.

If discussing the current reality for Canadian cruisers offends you (general "you", not a specific "you") somehow, let me remind you that there is a large contingent of Canadians on CC. If a topic that interests them does not interest you, you are under no obligation to participate. Nor is there any requirement for you to encourage thread drift.

I agree, that particular comment was highly offensive. The topic is giving EXTRA tips over and above the HSC - hardly making anyone "pay the price" for anything. And yes, the topic is tipping not the reasons for the state of the economy. We could have done that to death back in '08.;)

Obviously, you are more expert than I in the field of economics. I believed that if U.S. interest rates rise, there would be more foreign purchases of U.S. bonds which probably would have the effect of strengthening the U.S. dollar. I am not an economist, however, and my thesis may be entirely false.

Well now I am going to agree with you. If one country raises interest rates enough that they entice investors from another country, that could affect exchange rates. I just think that trade is the main factor in determining rates.

People seem to be losing sight of the fact that extra tipping is voluntary and not required. Therefore the choice of currency is up to the person giving the EXTRA tip. As long as the HSC is left in place nobody should be made to feel bad for being generous enough to extra tip regardless of the currency. Extra is extra.

Excellent point. Thanks. Sometimes in trying to make sure I do something right I lose track of the original point altogether.

OP...

Will you be converting some of your Canadian $$ to Euros for your trip? If so, is the exchange for Canadian to Euro that much better than Canadian to U.S? If so, I think tipping in Euros is fine providing you are not sailing at or near the end of the season. If you will be aboard early'ish' in the season, crew would have opportunity to spend the Euro ashore. If end of season, they will be stuck paying the conversation rate to make those funds useable to them or their families. That rubs me a bit wrong to put that expense onto them.

Of course, extra tipping is voluntary but I suspect most people who have four persons in one cabin feel a bit extra for the stewards might be appropriate and I commend 1of4 for being one of those people.

JMO ...

Edited by sail7seas

I am hoping to do an Alaska cruise this season, and we did an Alaska cruise last year (as the Cdn $ was really starting to drop :eek: ) Last year the US $s we owned were near-par (purchased well in advance). This year, the US $s we already own are still cheaper than the current rate, but when those are spent, they need to be replaced.

So I've been giving this a LOT of thought. The only expected/required payment is the HSC, and we keep that in place (as you have mentioned you do). So anything beyond that is "gravy", right? After reading some of the posts about the shopping that gets done in Vancouver, I think I'll be doing a "blend", some US $ and some Cdn $. So the recipients can decide what to do with each currency. When they are in Alaska they will have US $s to use as they want. When they are in Vancouver, they will have Cdn $s to use as they want.

You make a lot of sense...or is that cents! :rolleyes: :p I personally know of no one who can afford not to think about anything involving American currency. Just yesterday, while in a lighting store, we were told everything has gone up in price because of the American dollar. But funny, the prices never seem to go down even when our currencies even out.

We will probably tip in Euros.

If end of season, they will be stuck paying the conversation rate to make those funds useable to them or their families. That rubs me a bit wrong to put that expense onto them.
The Euro is now worth $1.0825. If you give someone 20 Euros and they have to pay, say, a 4% exchange premium to convert that to $US, they are still 4% ahead of what they would have with $20 US. They already pay an exchange premium to convert their $US pay to their home currency, so giving them Euros to convert directly into their home currency would not add any expense. Edited by jtl513

The Euro is now worth $1.0825. If you give someone a 20 Euro note and they have to pay, say, a 4% exchange premium to convert that to $US, they are still 4% ahead of what they would have with a US $20 bill. In fact, since they already pay an exchange premium to convert their $US pay to their home currency, giving them Euros to convert directly into their home currency would eliminate one cost, and increase the advantage of using Euro.

No worries, jtl. As I noted before, crew that I know simply accumulate their foreign currency and change it all up one go when they get home, and have no complaints whatsoever.:D I don't think they feel it is the "wrong" currency.

Edited by Lizzie68

Of course, extra tipping is voluntary but I suspect most people who have four persons in one cabin feel a bit extra for the stewards might be appropriate and I commend 1of4 for being one of those people.

JMO ...

Enlighten me please...why should a cabin of 4 people feel obligated to tip extra more than a cabin with 2?

1of4 will pay HSC for 4 just as a couple will pay for 2,. The extra people are certainly being "paid for". And 1of4 keeps a very tidy cabin:)

Edited by kazu

Enlighten me please...why should a cabin of 4 people feel obligated to tip extra more than a cabin with 2?

1of4 will pay HSC for 4 just as a couple will pay for 2,. The extra people are certainly being "paid for". And 1of4 keeps a very tidy cabin:)

To quote you "bad hair day"? It seems that we always hear other opinions are welcome. Doesn't seem like it.

The op should do what feels right to her.

Happy cruising.

Edited by cruz chic

To quote you "bad hair day"? It seems that we always hear other opinions are welcome. Doesn't seem like it.

The op should do what feels right to her.

Happy cruising.

Glad to see you say that. The OP certainly does not need approval from anyone here, nor did she seek it. She simply asked for an opinion on extra tips.

I'm confused. Is the HSC applied to the guest or the cabin - in other words, if there are 4 guests in a cabin, do they all pay the HSC?

Yes, the HSC is charged per guest, so if there are 4 in the cabin the HSC is charged for all 4. They all pay the HSC.

Yes, the HSC is charged per guest, so if there are 4 in the cabin the HSC is charged for all 4. They all pay the HSC.

Then I agree with your rhetorical question. I'll bet the cabin stewards would love to see all the cabins under their charge filled to the maximum.

We expect good service. It is what we pay for. Partly in our fare, partly in HSC's. We do not tip for good service.

We only tip for extraordinary service. It is a challenge now because cutbacks mean the staff are stretched to the limit with little time left to deliver extraordinary service. Not just on HAL either, on all of the mainstream lines.

At least in the world of standard verandah cabins that we typically occupy.

Edited by iancal

[quote name='Tom O.']I would like to add, that passengers are not expected to tip extra. The HSC(automatic tips) are more than a sufficient gratuity. Plus every bar bill and extra charge has a 15% gratuity included.
I do like to tip extra for room service, but even that is not necessary.
As long as you leave the HSC alone, you will have left sufficient tips. Then there is no need to worry about what currency to hand out.[/QUOTE]

I agree, especially if your account is billed for four people in the same cabin.
Automatic gratuities are supposed to take the guesswork and worry out of the equation.

[quote name='1of4']As is always a danger when not communicating face to face, misinterpretation can happen. I must be a simpler person as my masters degree is not in economics, finance or international relations. My comment about "hard to justify" was not a global comment, rather a personal one. It is difficult for us as a Canadian family of 4 to justify changing a Canadian dollar into an American dollar when we won't be anywhere near the USA. I am a well versed traveller myself and always use local currency. My question was specifically regarding tipping HAL staff on the ship that uses US currency when the ship is not in US waters during any part of the voyage. Why should we stay home or change our money Iinto a currency not used in the countries visited just to show appreciation to non US citizens who may have to pay another exchange rate?

Appreciate all the replies. We will probably tip in Euros.[/QUOTE]

Now you have me confused. This is not an issue of US vs Canadian dollars! If you need to purchase a US product you will probably have to deal with conversion issue, but it has nothing to do with Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. You can jump on an Air Canada flight to Europe (no US dollars involved) and convert your Canadian Dollars to Euros, Norwegian Krone, etc. None of this involves the US conversion rate. That being said, the HAL staff are paid in US Dollars (this is contractual) and if you decide to "stiff" them because of your own currency woes they are the losers. On the other hand, you could simply book a Canadian Cruise line (with Canadian Dollars) that pays their staff in Canadian Dollars. Of course you would first have to find such a vehicle.

When DW and I rented an apartment in Paris (at a time when the Euro was about $1.45 for a US Dollar) we had to simply "suck it up" and pay for our apartment (and everything else in France) in Euros. We did not complain or whine...but simply understood that if we wanted to go to France we had to pay that price. It is now the same for Canadians. We do have some terrific Canadian friends who were quick to tell us when the Canadian dollar was at par with the US Dollar. These same folks are silent these days. But when the Canadian Dollar recovers (and this will happen at some point in the future) I am sure we will hear about the wonderful Canadian Dollar.

I am not knocking Canadians or the "Loonie." This is just a matter of the international currency market which is almost as crazy as the oil market. But why should the crew on HAL suffer because of the Canadian currency.

Hank

[quote][b]1of4[/b]

<snip>

[b]My question is for extra tipping, if you chose to do it, will you pay in your local currency or will you exchange your currency to US dollars?[/b]

My cruise is in July 2017 out of Amsterdam so I am hoping for a more positive exchange rate by then but I was just wondering what others do routinely. If you live in Europe and are sailing from a European port, for example, would you ensure you had US cash on hand for extra tipping onboard? It seems a bit too much, to me, to lose (currently) 40 cents on the dollar to give a tip in a currency that the ship is not visiting.

Noet, we always pay the HSC (times 4) and would not change that.[b] This question is only for extra tips handed out during or on the last day of the cruise. [/b]
[/quote]

[b] My bold. [/b]

[quote name='kazu']Enlighten me please...why should a cabin of 4 people feel obligated to tip extra more than a cabin with 2?

1of4 will pay HSC for 4 just as a couple will pay for 2,. The extra people are certainly being "paid for". And 1of4 keeps a very tidy cabin:)[/QUOTE]

[B] Read 1of4's OP....

She said she was inquiring as to extra tips.
I interpret her question to indicate it is her intention to tip extra and wants to ask posters' opinions as to which currency. ;)

Off topic but I hope you are managing well with the snow. I've heard some areas have quite a lot. Stay safe.

[/B] Edited by sail7seas

[quote name='Hlitner']Now you have me confused. This is not an issue of US vs Canadian dollars! If you need to purchase a US product you will probably have to deal with conversion issue, but it has nothing to do with Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. You can jump on an Air Canada flight to Europe (no US dollars involved) and convert your Canadian Dollars to Euros, Norwegian Krone, etc. None of this involves the US conversion rate. [I][B] That being said, the HAL staff are paid in US Dollars (this is contractual) and if you decide to "stiff" them because of your own currency woes they are the losers.[/B][/I] On the other hand, you could simply book a Canadian Cruise line (with Canadian Dollars) that pays their staff in Canadian Dollars. Of course you would first have to find such a vehicle.

When DW and I rented an apartment in Paris (at a time when the Euro was about $1.45 for a US Dollar) we had to simply "suck it up" and pay for our apartment (and everything else in France) in Euros. We did not complain or whine...but simply understood that if we wanted to go to France we had to pay that price. It is now the same for Canadians. We do have some terrific Canadian friends who were quick to tell us when the Canadian dollar was at par with the US Dollar. These same folks are silent these days. But when the Canadian Dollar recovers (and this will happen at some point in the future) I am sure we will hear about the wonderful Canadian Dollar.

I am not knocking Canadians or the "Loonie." This is just a matter of the international currency market which is almost as crazy as the oil market. [I][B]But why should the crew on HAL suffer because of the Canadian currency.[/B][/I]

Hank[/quote]

(bolding mine)

Reminder: the only required or expected money for the crew is the HSC. Where do you get the idea that any cruiser in this thread plans to "stiff" the crew? If the HSC is paid, there is no "stiffing" of the crew. Any "extra" that is given is a gift, an optional amount, that each person decides individually. So can you explain to me please why you are suggesting that the crew is getting "stiffed"? Edited by CowPrincess

[quote name='1of4']You make a lot of sense...or is that cents! :rolleyes: :p I personally know of no one who can afford not to think about anything involving American currency. Just yesterday, while in a lighting store, we were told everything has gone up in price because of the American dollar. But funny, the prices never seem to go down even when our currencies even out.[/quote]

Not sure if we can make [B][I]cents [/I][/B];) Maybe nickels? :D

Every Canadian we know, and we know some people who are pretty darned "comfortable" :rolleyes:, is being affected by the cost of American currency. Everyone is keeping that cost in mind when making decisions right now. We know several families who just aren't travelling anywhere that has a US $ price tag. And others who are deferring purchases of non-essentials.

[quote name='sail7seas'][b] My bold. [/b]

[B] Read 1of4's OP....

She said she was inquiring as to extra tips.

I interpret her question to indicate it is her intention to tip extra and wants to ask posters' opinions as to which currency. ;)

Off topic but I hope you are managing well with the snow. I've heard some areas have quite a lot. Stay safe.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree Sail. I just didn't understand why a cabin of 4 would have any more need to tip extra than a cabin of two since they pay
HSC for each person.

Thanks on the snow inquiry - not as bad as last year yet, thankfully, but with the broken elbow, I can't venture too far anyways right now. Hopefully February is kinder than last year.

[quote name='Hlitner']Now you have me confused. This is not an issue of US vs Canadian dollars! If you need to purchase a US product you will probably have to deal with conversion issue, but it has nothing to do with Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. You can jump on an Air Canada flight to Europe (no US dollars involved) and convert your Canadian Dollars to Euros, Norwegian Krone, etc. None of this involves the US conversion rate. That being said, the HAL staff are paid in US Dollars (this is contractual) and if you decide to "stiff" them because of your own currency woes they are the losers. On the other hand, you could simply book a Canadian Cruise line (with Canadian Dollars) that pays their staff in Canadian Dollars. Of course you would first have to find such a vehicle.

I am not knocking Canadians or the "Loonie." This is just a matter of the international currency market which is almost as crazy as the oil market. But why should the crew on HAL suffer because of the Canadian currency.

Hank[/QUOTE]

Oh come on Hank,

Many of us have been to Europe when the euro is high. No big deal IMO.

How in heavens name is anyone stiffing the crew when they are tipping EXTRA ????

This. Is not about touring around but tipping the crew extra above and beyond and I can assure you that U.S. $ are NOT what they ship home.

Perhaps the best answer then is not to bother tipping extra since you seem to be so critical.

I have asked and they do prefer the currency of where they are.

If they don't use it, it has to be converted whether U.S. Or whatever to send home.

I think the crew will be happy to receive the ADDITIONAL TIP in what currency 1of4 chooses.

[quote name='Hlitner']Now you have me confused. This is not an issue of US vs Canadian dollars! If you need to purchase a US product you will probably have to deal with conversion issue, but it has nothing to do with Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. You can jump on an Air Canada flight to Europe (no US dollars involved) and convert your Canadian Dollars to Euros, Norwegian Krone, etc. None of this involves the US conversion rate. That being said, the HAL staff are paid in US Dollars (this is contractual) and if you decide to "stiff" them because of your own currency woes they are the losers. On the other hand, you could simply book a Canadian Cruise line (with Canadian Dollars) that pays their staff in Canadian Dollars. Of course you would first have to find such a vehicle.

Hank[/QUOTE]

I think your confusion comes from (possibly) not reading my first post when you answer. Although I am very happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your Paris vacation it is irrelevant to my question.

I find you are looking for a confrontation. Is it a boring day in your house? How can you imply that I am whining and complaining when all I did was ask a question about giving the crew EXTRA money (sorry for shouting but you seemed to have missed that fact). You are being outright confrontational and insulting. I am not talking about a land vacation. I was specific. We pay the HSC times 4 each day. I am not "stiffing" the crew. I do not like that you implied that we are planning on doing just that. I was simply asking for opinions of those who do not use US dollars and are sailing in non US waters. Since the crew have to change money to send home anyway, following your reasoning, we are all stiffing the crew as they have to change US currency into their home currency.

I have received an answer from all except you who seems to have missed the boat, no pun intended, (okay maybe it was) on the intent of my question.
Reading the replies I now see the issue more clearly - why would anyone object to getting a tip? Who cares what currency it is in? It is tax free and they also get the HSC. Seems like a win-win in my book. When I worked for tips I would have graciously said "thank you" and meant it from the bottom of my heart.

Hank[/QUOTE]

Where did the op say that they were stiffing the crew?