Non USA embarkation/disembarkation and money question

1of4

[quote name='Hlitner']Now you have me confused. This is not an issue of US vs Canadian dollars! If you need to purchase a US product you will probably have to deal with conversion issue, but it has nothing to do with Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. You can jump on an Air Canada flight to Europe (no US dollars involved) and convert your Canadian Dollars to Euros, Norwegian Krone, etc. None of this involves the US conversion rate. That being said, the HAL staff are paid in US Dollars (this is contractual) and if you decide to "stiff" them because of your own currency woes they are the losers. On the other hand, you could simply book a Canadian Cruise line (with Canadian Dollars) that pays their staff in Canadian Dollars. Of course you would first have to find such a vehicle.

When DW and I rented an apartment in Paris (at a time when the Euro was about $1.45 for a US Dollar) we had to simply "suck it up" and pay for our apartment (and everything else in France) in Euros. We did not complain or whine...but simply understood that if we wanted to go to France we had to pay that price. It is now the same for Canadians. We do have some terrific Canadian friends who were quick to tell us when the Canadian dollar was at par with the US Dollar. These same folks are silent these days. But when the Canadian Dollar recovers (and this will happen at some point in the future) I am sure we will hear about the wonderful Canadian Dollar.

I am not knocking Canadians or the "Loonie." This is just a matter of the international currency market which is almost as crazy as the oil market. But why should the crew on HAL suffer because of the Canadian currency.

Hank[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you didn't actually read the OP's post. For one thing, she is not purchasing anything. She is talking about giving a gift.

I am really surprised at the ignorance shown here.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]

>SNIP<

Of course, extra tipping is voluntary but I suspect most people who have four persons in one cabin feel a bit extra for the stewards might be appropriate >SNIP<

------------

>SNIP<
[/B]
[B][B]Read 1of4's OP....

She said she was inquiring as to extra tips.
I interpret her question to indicate it is her intention to tip extra and wants to ask posters' opinions as to which currency[/B]
[/B][/quote]

[quote name='kazu'] >SNIP<

I just didn't understand why a cabin of 4 would have any more need to tip extra than a cabin of two since they pay
HSC for each person.
>SNIP<[/quote]

I still don't understand that, kazu. They are paying HSC, that is the only obligation they have. To be honest, I still don't understand why anyone would suggest that the # of pax in the cabin might/could/should influence the decision about whether extra tipping is or is not warranted.

I hope someone can enlighten me.

[quote name='CowPrincess']Every Canadian we know, and we know some people who are pretty darned "comfortable" :rolleyes:, is being affected by the cost of American currency. Everyone is keeping that cost in mind when making decisions right now. We know several families who just aren't travelling anywhere that has a US $ price tag. And others who are deferring purchases of non-essentials.[/QUOTE]

Every American I know is affected by the economy as well and is keeping cost in mind when making decisions. I am not sure that this mindset is exclusive to Canadians.

[quote name='CowPrincess']I still don't understand that, kazu. They are paying HSC, that is the only obligation they have. To be honest, I still don't understand why anyone would suggest that the # of pax in the cabin might/could/should influence the decision about whether extra tipping is or is not warranted.

I hope someone can enlighten me.[/QUOTE]

I've seen it suggested that solos are lucky to not pay double the hsc. Never mind that the room rate it generally double. I've also seen it suggested that solos tip extra to their room stewards.

[quote name='doublebzz']Then I agree with your rhetorical question. I'll bet the cabin stewards would love to see all the cabins under their charge filled to the maximum.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it works like that. The HSC is divided up among all eligible crew. A steward would not get an extra portion because there are more people in the cabins he maintains. So, a steward would work a little harder if there were 4 people in a room, but would not get more of the HSC for it (He would just get the same share as the other stewards got). So, I can see why someone would feel obligated to tip extra in that situation.
But for every room that a steward has to work extra hard on, there is probably another room that is easier - maybe a room with a single person in it.

[quote name='Tom O.']I don't think it works like that. The HSC is divided up among all eligible crew. A steward would not get an extra portion because there are more people in the cabins he maintains. So, a steward would work a little harder if there were 4 people in a room, but would not get more of the HSC for it (He would just get the same share as the other stewards got). So, I can see why someone would feel obligated to tip extra in that situation.
But for every room that a steward has to work extra hard on, there is probably another room that is easier - maybe a room with a single person in it.[/QUOTE]

[B] BINGO !! Seemed rather obvious to me but apparently not to everyone.
[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] BINGO !! Seemed rather obvious to me but apparently not to everyone.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I guess I don't understand why if more money is collected because there are more guests in the room, the room stewards don't have a larger piece of the pie to share. I do know, when the subject came up with discussion I've had with hotel staff, they told me they prefer a fully booked ship. The only thing that's obvious to me is the condescending tone some posters use on these boards.

[quote name='doublebzz']I guess I don't understand why if more money is collected because there are more guests in the room, the room stewards don't have a larger piece of the pie to share. I do know, when the subject came up with discussion I've had with hotel staff, they told me they prefer a fully booked ship. The only thing that's obvious to me is the condescending tone some posters use on these boards.[/QUOTE]

Yes, of course they prefer a full ship. I've noticed this condescending comment from you often. Is everyone condescending in your opinion, or is it people that you don't like or agree with? Edited by cruz chic

[quote name='doublebzz']I guess I don't understand why if more money is collected because there are more guests in the room, the room stewards don't have a larger piece of the pie to share. I do know, when the subject came up with discussion I've had with hotel staff, they told me they prefer a fully booked ship. The only thing that's obvious to me is the condescending tone some posters use on these boards.[/QUOTE]

I think they do get a higher proportionate share, at least that has been my understanding, maybe I misunderstood though?

[quote name='kazu']I think they do get a higher proportionate share, at least that has been my understanding, maybe I misunderstood though?[/QUOTE][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]It is my belief that the amount a steward gets from the pool is based on his/her grade (steward or assistant) and length of service with the company ... and on the number of guests s/he is serving. The figures that CD like to throw out like "35% of HSC" are averages at best.[/SIZE][/FONT]
. Edited by jtl513

[quote name='1of4']I have much time on my hands these days so I got to the dangerous occupation of thinking.... With the exchange rate for most non-US currencies at "hard to justify" levels with the US $ I was wondering what non US citizens are doing with cruises that do not leave or return to US ports. Like cruises in the Mediterranean, Baltics, Asia, Australia or even Alaskan cruises out of Vancouver.

My question is for extra tipping, if you chose to do it, will you pay in your local currency or will you exchange your currency to US dollars?

My cruise is in July 2017 out of Amsterdam so I am hoping for a more positive exchange rate by then but I was just wondering what others do routinely. If you live in Europe and are sailing from a European port, for example, would you ensure you had US cash on hand for extra tipping onboard? It seems a bit too much, to me, to lose (currently) 40 cents on the dollar to give a tip in a currency that the ship is not visiting.

Noet, we always pay the HSC (times 4) and would not change that. This question is only for extra tips handed out during or on the last day of the cruise.[/QUOTE]

We cruise pretty much exclusively now days from Aus, so they get AUS$.

One they can use it in port.

Two they bank a lot of it through the staff desk who do exchanges.

I once saw a crew member with Aus$ NZ$ US$ £stifling Euro and a few others I didn't know, only noticed because he was paying for something in Port (chocolate actually) and was trying to work out what to pay with.

We then had a chat and he explained how their banking worked.

[quote name='GUT2407']We cruise pretty much exclusively now days from Aus, so they get AUS$.

One they can use it in port.

Two they bank a lot of it through the staff desk who do exchanges.

I once saw a crew member with Aus$ NZ$ US$ £stifling Euro and a few others I didn't know, only noticed because he was paying for something in Port (chocolate actually) and was trying to work out what to pay with.

We then had a chat and he explained how their banking worked.[/QUOTE]

Perfect. Thank you. Sounds like non Americans do not bother changing their money into US dollars for handing out tips (note I am talking about discretionary tips, not the HSC).

This thread has been very interesting for me. Even the thread drifts were informative. For the record, the concept of tipping over and above the HSC just because we are 4 in a cabin never crossed my mind. I do it when it is warranted and to date only missed it once. As far as I am concerned HAL pays it's employees (and I do not care what that rate is) and we pay the HSC each day for each of us. HAL chose to have quad cabins so I trust HAL to work out the appropriate compensation. But from reading this thread I have learned that the percentage of the HSC received by cabin stewards goes up by the number of people. So with 4 in a cabin would mean they would get double over a cabin with 2 and quadruple a cabin with a solo traveller. That makes sense.

Following this line of thinking, do people who sit at large tables in the dining room tip more because they are more work for the wait staff? I wouldn't think so.

[quote name='1of4']Perfect. Thank you. Sounds like non Americans do not bother changing their money into US dollars for handing out tips (note I am talking about discretionary tips, not the HSC).

This thread has been very interesting for me. Even the thread drifts were informative. For the record, the concept of tipping over and above the HSC just because we are 4 in a cabin never crossed my mind. I do it when it is warranted and to date only missed it once. As far as I am concerned HAL pays it's employees (and I do not care what that rate is) and we pay the HSC each day for each of us. HAL chose to have quad cabins so I trust HAL to work out the appropriate compensation. But from reading this thread I have learned that the percentage of the HSC received by cabin stewards goes up by the number of people. So with 4 in a cabin would mean they would get double over a cabin with 2 and quadruple a cabin with a solo traveller. That makes sense.

[B] Following this line of thinking, do people who sit at large tables in the dining room tip more because they are more work for the wait staff? I wouldn't think so.[/B][/QUOTE]

Agee.

Bolding is mine. LOL. I can assure you from being at large tables in the past that everyone does not tip extra;)

I think the crew are always pleasantly surprised to receive additional tips and very appreciative. I am sure they will appreciate any additional $ you give them :)

[quote name='1of4']<snip>

Following this line of thinking, do people who sit at large tables in the dining room tip more because they are more work for the wait staff? I wouldn't think so.[/QUOTE]

I don't have an opinion as to tipping extra for a quad cabin but I'm afraid I don't understand this comment at all. In open dining Hal loves to put you at a larger table unless you are opposed to it. Generally I don't know anyone else at the table or I may know a few people. These folks are not generally travelling with me so I'm not choosing to be at that table. Why would I tip extra for strangers. It's really apples and oranges, isn't it? Edited by cruz chic

[quote name='kazu']Agee.

Bolding is mine. LOL. I can assure you from being at large tables in the past that everyone does not tip extra;)

I think the crew are always pleasantly surprised to receive additional tips and very appreciative. I am sure they will appreciate any additional $ you give them :)[/quote]

I get the analogy, as will most.;) It was actually a good point given the particular line of thinking thrown out by some.

[quote name='cruz chic']I don't have an opinion as to tipping extra for a quad cabin but I'm afraid I don't understand this comment at all. In open dining Hal loves to put you at a larger table unless you are opposed to it. Generally I don't know anyone else at the table or I may know a few people. These folks are not generally travelling with me so I'm not choosing to be at that table. Why would I tip extra for strangers. It's really apples and oranges, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Sorry cruz chic, I wasn't thinking about open seating. There was a comment earlier that since quad cabins are double the work for cabin stewards we probably should tip above the HSC based on that fact alone. I keep the cabin very neat, probably out of necessity, so there is never anything left on the sofa, we never have a chair, and nothing on the bathroom counter. But following the assumption that if quad cabins should tip more purely because 4 in a cabin is an extra workload, then couples who chose fixed dining at large tables should tip more too.

It doesn't make sense to me either.

[quote name='cruz chic']I don't have an opinion as to tipping extra for a quad cabin but I'm afraid I don't understand this comment at all. In open dining Hal loves to put you at a larger table unless you are opposed to it. Generally I don't know anyone else at the table or I may know a few people. These folks are not generally travelling with me so I'm not choosing to be at that table. Why would I tip extra for strangers. It's really apples and oranges, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

[B] Yes, I agree.

Some are not thinking of open seating or solo travelers.

[/B]

[B]As to the 'facts' of how HSC is divided as reported here, I am not solidly convinced everything stated in this thread is accurate. Just because we read it on the internet is not confirmation of accuracy.

[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]As to the 'facts' of how HSC is divided as reported here, I am not solidly convinced everything stated in this thread is accurate. Just because we read it on the internet is not confirmation of accuracy.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree, I highly doubt that a steward's share of HSC is based on the total number of people in the cabins he maintains. HAL would also have to figure in the people who remove the HSC from their bill. I can't imagine HAL doing the math that would be involved. I am sure that each steward gets an equal share of the total pot.
I don't have any proof of that, but that is what has been explained to me in the past.

[quote name='Tom O.']I am sure that each steward gets an equal share of the total pot.[/QUOTE][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]Would you work for a company that, after 5 or 10 years of your loyal service, pays you the same as the guy hired last week as your assistant? I wouldn't for very long, and I doubt they would either.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Tom O.']

<snip>
[B] HAL would also have to figure in the people who remove the HSC from their bill. I can't imagine HAL doing the math that would be involved. [/B] I am sure that each steward gets an equal share of the total pot.

I don't have any proof of that, but that is what has been explained to me in the past.[/QUOTE]

Bolding is mine....
Really? The stewards are provided a list of those that have removed or reduced HSC as they must turn those tips in to the pool. I don't think you are giving the ship's credit for what I am sure they have down to a fine art.