Port or Starboard?

sharke

Which side is best for views on a cruise starting in San Francisco going to Astoria, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait, Sitka, Prince Rupert, Naiamo, and ending in Vancouver? Appreciate any thoughts, please.

I chose a port side cabin on our spring Alaska trip. The simple reason was, based upon the helpful information in this forum, when going through Glacier Bay, the rangers/naturalist will be describing what is being seen on the port side of the ship. Before learning this, I had chosen starboard side to have the best chance for pacific sunset pictures on the last day or 2 of the cruise.

Maybe there is a special port or activity on your trip where there is a big advantage to being on one side or the other?

Edited by flatlander321

Where necessary (& able) the ship will turn so that those on the port side can see what those on the starboard just saw. (From what I recall - we were up on deck).

Meanwhile if the naturalist sees a bear on the starboard, the ship isn't going to turn really quickly so that those on the port side can also see the bear.

I have no idea re: seeing the towns...

I would go port side just based on the fact that is the side the sun will set on NB, I love to watch the sunset from out balcony. Other than that it won't really matter, the ship will spin around at the glacier.

Edited by trophy_23

Which side is best for views on a cruise starting in San Francisco going to Astoria, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait, Sitka, Prince Rupert, Naiamo, and ending in Vancouver? Appreciate any thoughts, please.

Based on your ports of call, I would choose Port. Over half your port calls are once the ship turns southbound. Additionally, your Northbound portion will be off the coast and would entail limited viewing opportunities, except possible sunsets. Once you get to Alaska as other people have communicated in this thread the ship will turn. Plus there are other areas on your ship in public areas to view the glaciers.

Thanks everyone. Port side it is. One of the most amazing experiences s we've had coming into a port was seeing the pilot from the pilot boat swing on board entering the mouth of the Columbia River in Astoria. Took place right under our balcony in very rough seas and had us on pins & needles. Not for the faint of heart. Those people are amazing. Will make sure we are on the correct side again.

Thanks everyone. Port side it is. One of the most amazing experiences s we've had coming into a port was seeing the pilot from the pilot boat swing on board entering the mouth of the Columbia River in Astoria. Took place right under our balcony in very rough seas and had us on pins & needles. Not for the faint of heart. Those people are amazing. Will make sure we are on the correct side again.

The side the pilot gets on will depend upon the wind, and perhaps swell, as the ship will seek to provide a sheltered side for the transfer. It's not the same side every time.

When we did our pacific coastal portion of the repositioning cruise in the fall the pilot rappelled from a helicopter onto the bow at the mouth of the Columbia! That was cool! I video taped the whole thing from the crows nest.