Motion Sickness Meds/Other recommendations

opuscat1

My darling and I are on the Reflection in April and this will be her first cruise. I've been on a few with my first one returning from Bermuda to New York in a nice Hurricane blowing up the coast. It was like a youtube video you see with glasses crashing from overhead the bars and even the crew was sick. Ironically that didn't bother me ... it's the very slow movements of mild seas that sometimes gets to me after a few days.

So anyway ... I see some ideas in other threads but thought I'd start one with only others recommendations from patches to meds to bands. What do you use and did it make you sleepy etc, other side affects?

I had some success with bands but I'll need a bigger size. My daughter on the last one noticed my right hand was swelling up about 25% larger than my left it was cutting off circulation LOL and I didn't even notice. Gravol like meds put me right to sleep I can't even function. Great for bed time I suppose.

i read about Ginger pills and gum, so I bought and took them on our last cruise. I did not have a problem, but the one day we had rough seas, I took two Ginger pills just in case, and I did not get sick. Whether it worked or not because of the pills, can't say.

I did patches our first few cruises. Not crazy about the dry metallic taste in your mouth, but tolerable. BUT one cruise I changed my patch in the middle then didn't wash my hands well & put in my contacts. Apparently had a bit of residue from the patch. It was HORRID--sensation of dizziness, blurriness ALL DAY (even after took contacts out). Decided then & there NEVER AGAIN (and I don't even wear contacts anymore!) Not worth losing a day on a cruise!

A few cruises ago we had pretty rough seas. Was queasy in AM; had a bland chicken sandwich & it didn't help so ran down to room (we had low interior on that on) to change into suit to go out onto deck for fresh air. Was so queasy had to lie down--felt fine lying down. That was the ONLY way I felt fine. Family brought green apples, crackers, Sprite. 12 of us sailing & about half of us were stuck in the room. (so bad they had seasickness bags taped to trash cans around the ship!) Caught up on some movie watching that day.

So no choice is perfect. Green apples, crackers/bread, Sprite, fresh air are easy (and cheap). Ginger--pills, tea, gum is next least intrusive alternative. Then sea bands. Then Bonine. Then the patch.

In all my research those are about it.

(regarding the bands--did she have children's bands? or does she have large wrists? I haven't tried them...just troubleshooting here)

Edited by KKB

Hello,

2 cruisers in our group both recommend the patch (never leave Canada without it!) and we purchase Bonine in Florida before we leave.

Good luck

Cathy

I have a local compounding pharmacist make up some Bonine for me. Doesn't put me to sleep like gravol.

I used to use the patch religiously but just couldn't handle the side effects (primarily dry mouth). I did learn about not touching your eye after touching your patch without first washing your hands (causes pupils to dilate). Today I use sea bands and only if I start to feel a little ill. On my very first cruise I used a patch, had it fall off while swimming and figured since I wasn't sick I didn't need it. Biggest mistake ever as that night I was ready for death. But now I discovered I don't really need anything except the occasional sea band use. The nice thing about sea bands (for me) is that they help after you get sick. Other things (patch, bonine, etc) need to be proactively taken as a preventative.

I got motion sickness one day and was ok the rest of the time, it was strange. So anyway, I got some Meclizine for the next cruise just in case. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about it? BTW: 15 pills were less than $5 US.

Edit: Ok, never mind, it looks like it's the same thing that others have mentioned: 'It is sold under the brand names Bonine, Bonamine, Antivert, Postafen, Sea Legs, and Dramamine. '

Edited by rmalbers

I did patches our first few cruises. Not crazy about the dry metallic taste in your mouth, but tolerable.

So no choice is perfect. Green apples, crackers/bread, Sprite, fresh air are easy (and cheap). Ginger--pills, tea, gum is next least intrusive alternative. Then sea bands. Then Bonine. Then the patch.

(regarding the bands--did she have children's bands? or does she have large wrists? I haven't tried them...just troubleshooting here)

So it looks like the patch might not get so many great reviews with some of the potential probs and DON'T TOUCH YOUR EYES lol. I remember buying Dramamine on the ship and it was about 5 times what you'd pay on land so I want to bring some choices for sure.

As for the bands it was me not my wife ... They were regular ... I think .. seems so long ago. Just the one hand and not the other it was odd.

If you know you have a problem with motion sickness, please take the medicine 2-3 days before and 2-3 days after your trip. That way the medicine has time to be in your system.

I myself don't get sea sick, but I get land sick. I get off the boat and for days after I feel like I'm still on the ocean, and I can't walk straight. It's a horrible feeling.

Ginger root capsules work for me. :)

No drowsiness, no wristbands cutting into squidgy wrists, no plasters behind the ears, no after effects and no sea sickness. ;)

I take one capsule in the morning and one in the evening, even if the sea is calm. I just don't want to risk spoiling one minute of my cruise. We've sailed some fairly choppy seas , where the little white bags have been left by the lifts, for the people in need, and I've been just fine.

Bonine works for me. I start it 2-3 days before my first travel day. I need it for the car ride & airplane! I take it at night, before bed. Taking it during the day makes me too tired & foggy. I can take Jr. Dramanine during the day with no troubles. I always take the meds for another day or two after getting back to land. Ginger or lemon always calm my stomach. The idea is you can't feel sick if your tongue tastes something sour. I don't know if it's true but it worked for me for motion & morning sickness.

I got motion sickness one day and was ok the rest of the time, it was strange. So anyway, I got some Meclizine for the next cruise just in case. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about it? BTW: 15 pills were less than $5 US.

Edit: Ok, never mind, it looks like it's the same thing that others have mentioned: 'It is sold under the brand names Bonine, Bonamine, Antivert, Postafen, Sea Legs, and Dramamine. '

For motion sickness, the medication Meclizine is available at the Guest Relations Desk (at no cost) and through Stateroom Services. Medical treatment for motion sickness is available at the medical facility onboard.

Meclizine is my family's choice of seasick meds. Cheap...we get an entire bottle from our pharmacist for $5.38. Contains 100 chewable 12.5 mg tablets.

On our very first cruise, we took a whole pill of Meclizine before leaving our hotel on the morning of the cruise. Worked well for all, but I did get a little tired after dinner. Not sure if it is the medicine or just the excitement of the first day. For the remainder of the cruise days, we each took only half of a tablet.

Fast forward 30 cruises later, we now only take 1/2 tablet on the morning of the cruises and 1/2 to a whole tablet, as needed ( if seas get really rough during our voyages.) My DH has taken more than me throughout the years. He is a little more sensitive to the movement. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

The bands are pseudoscience (accupressure) so any effect is psychosomatic. That's why your doctor will tell you to use Meclizine. That's why Celebrity will give it to you as well. So while you are free to buy a band and trick yourself into thinking it works, it never hurts to have some Meclizine as a backup for when you get sick.

Getting fresh air and looking at the horizon also helps.

My darling and I are on the Reflection in April and this will be her first cruise. I've been on a few with my first one returning from Bermuda to New York in a nice Hurricane blowing up the coast. It was like a youtube video you see with glasses crashing from overhead the bars and even the crew was sick. Ironically that didn't bother me ... it's the very slow movements of mild seas that sometimes gets to me after a few days.

So anyway ... I see some ideas in other threads but thought I'd start one with only others recommendations from patches to meds to bands. What do you use and did it make you sleepy etc, other side affects?

I had some success with bands but I'll need a bigger size. My daughter on the last one noticed my right hand was swelling up about 25% larger than my left it was cutting off circulation LOL and I didn't even notice. Gravol like meds put me right to sleep I can't even function. Great for bed time I suppose.

I use ginger tablets. It has no side effects that I know of, as long as the ginger tablets are taken with some water.

The bands are pseudoscience (accupressure) so any effect is psychosomatic. That's why your doctor will tell you to use Meclizine. That's why Celebrity will give it to you as well. So while you are free to buy a band and trick yourself into thinking it works, it never hurts to have some Meclizine as a backup for when you get sick.

Getting fresh air and looking at the horizon also helps.

Accupressure is not a pseudoscience. Studies have been done that show the effects are real and not just a placebo effect. Now, studies have not been done for all symptoms, and a few have not show statistical differences, but many have. (check the nccih.gov site)

I have my own home remedy for seasickness for men only. I bring a couple pair of whitey tighteys about 3 sizes too small and put them on when seas get rough. Sure keeps my mind off of the ship rocking!!! LOL:eek::eek::eek:

PS

I told this to a woman at dinner one night and SHE BELIEVED ME!:confused::confused::confused:

My daughter and I are particularly susceptible to motion sickness. On the ship, usually a Bonine tablet and a ginger pill per day will be sufficient. However, on unusually rough boat excursions, we will still get quite seasick. We have found that if we take a regular Dramamine in this case, we will be much better in about 30 minutes. So now, before we take a boat excursion, we will take a regular Dramamine ins addition to our ginger pill and we will be fine. The sleepiness will not usually be a problem as long as we are active. Later in the afternoon, however, we might take a nice nap!

DW tried Bonnie non-drousy on our very first cruise about 12 years ago. Not sure if it helped much but it did interfere with her asmetha meds in a big way. The ship's nurse offered ginger tables and suggested green apples and they did help. Next cruise she tried the Sea Bands. Some say it is just a placebo but she swears by them now. They go on the minute we board and stay on unless we are in a super calm sea. If she is not wearing them and it starts to blow up she sticks them on and in 20 minutes all is good again. I am sure they do not work for everyone but they work for her. They are reusable and they don't interfere with any other meds you may be taking. I think we have done 10 cruises since that first one and we have 3 more booked right now. It if were not for her bands, I doubt we would be able to enjoy all of these trips.

I'm the Queen of Seasickness and have discovered the following formula to work well:

Starting 48 hours before sailing, begin Meclazine (Bonine) 25 mg. every 12 hours. Supplement this during the cruise with imbibing from the Premium drink package through the day, beginning with a Mimosa in the morning and ending with wine with dinner at night. Both the Meclazine and alcohol are Central Nervous System depressants, which will help prevent seasickness.

Last year, we were on some rocking seas in the Atlantic and ginger pills helped supplement my usual regimen.

I am not a fan of the patch. It's Scopolamine and has potentially dangerous side effects, including the contacts event previously posted, dry mouth and withdrawal symptoms. Not worth it to me....

Hope this info helps....