Chumley's Bears ???

BillyBoat

I just realized that our Nov. 16th cruise (2016) is a Chumley's Bears cruise. I know what the Chumley's Bears organization is...what I need from you guys is help in deciding what to do. Should we keep the cruise (7 days western Caribbean) or dump it for another date ? Anyone ever cruised with the "Bears" before ?

I have not cruised with the Chumley's Bears, but there are other threads on here about them.

They are a group of gay men. For the most part, the people who have sailed with them have had extremely positive statements.

The problem lies with traveling with any large group charter- be it Bears, needlepointers, marathon runners, etc... the group often takes over specific venues. If a group is large enough, they may be assigned an entire dining room. They may have special cocktail parties in a club or bars; or special presentations in the theater or Vista Lounge.

I did cruise on a ship with a large group tour. Our access to all of the areas of the ship was a bit compromised.

We did in Nov 2014 for a Caribbean cruise, but it was with the Adventure Bears. We had a great time and it was a Caribbean cruise just like any other. I remember hearing there were about 500 bears on board. Their hang out was the aft pool and yes, it was mostly men around that pool whenever I wandered back there. We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise and wouldn't worry about it at all.

We had the Bears on our Emerald cruise a couple of years ago.

Over 800 and as noted above they took over the aft pool and several other venues everyday throughout the cruise. Yes it does impact the cruise. Not to mention there were g-string swimsuits on and where they should not have been. :(

If you do a search there are several threads on groups.

here is one.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2270207&highlight=bears+cruise

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We sailed with this group on our last cruise to the Caribbean. Probably 300 to 400 in their group of well behaved, respectful men. I was worried initially as we had four young grandkids in our group. I worried for nothing as there were no problems at all. Their group went with us on an excursion to St. Martins Orient Beach, but again, no problems at all. I would sail with that group again anytime.

OP: Feel lucky that you were alerted early on.

Any large group will take over public spaces from time to time.

Get out while you still can, change same cruise different date.

If you can cruise a couple weeks later , after Thanksgiving/Before Xmas you should find even better rates.

If you can cruise a couple weeks later , after Thanksgiving/Before Xmas you should find even better rates.

I guess it could be that way, but we did not see anything like that on our cruise. Of couse the group was 3-400, and perhaps not large enough to impact the cruise.

Sort of off topic, but on as well:

I know it has been posted here before but I can't seem to find it and my friend Google hasn't been very helpful either: how/where do you find out if a large group is booked on your cruise?

I know it has been posted here before but I can't seem to find it and my friend Google hasn't been very helpful either: how/where do you find out if a large group is booked on your cruise?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2270207&highlight=bears+cruise

Post #25

I was fine with it until the statement about the thongs. I am a medical professional who sees lots of body parts at work. Don't need to see them on vacation.

And I agree with the comment about large groups. We were just on a cruise where half the passengers had gotten the cruise as a sales reward. They wore matching T shirts all week. What a sea of turquoise! We also had to direct the conversation away from joining their sales teams while in the hot tub. Otherwise, no impact.

I agree with MCC, we were on a cruise with a group of 400 singles and they took over the aft pool and hot tubs every day. Sometimes, saving up to six loungers that were not used for hours+ and as we know Princess does not enforce the rules. I always check now before booking and again before sailing.

We sailed on the Emerald this past fall on a B2B2B. We found out a week before about Chumley's Bears being on part of the cruise. Several people had written about PDA that made them feel uncomfortable on past cruises. Certainly when one books a cruise one has the right to feel comfortable within their own comfort zone. Based on our experience we did not have any issues whatsoever.

Edited by Cancun01

I just realized that our Nov. 16th cruise (2016) is a Chumley's Bears cruise. I know what the Chumley's Bears organization is...what I need from you guys is help in deciding what to do. Should we keep the cruise (7 days western Caribbean) or dump it for another date ? Anyone ever cruised with the "Bears" before ?

Twice in the past 2 years.

The first time was a short cruise on Carribbean. We went to crown grill

every night. Most of the passengers there looked like slobs. The gay

couples were the ones wearing suits, and looking sharp.

I did a 7-day cruise last year with 3-400 bears. The only 'issue' was

that some of the lounges were closed from time-to-time for the group.

Bears -- OK. It's when you get 150 santas (and Mrs. Clause)

-- now THAT's wierd.

Sailed with the bears this past October. The bears did hang out at the aft pool, but that was no problem. They did not display public affection anymore than any the hetero couples. The only thing that I saw was a homophobic intolerant man who must have had too much to drink, got upset when in the crowded atrium, people were looking at jewelry on sale, and this intolerant homophobic man thought a bear, who was just looking at the jewelry, got too close to him. The intolerant man raised his voice and was looking to start a fight.

The bear left the area, but in my opinion, the intolerant man should have been the one to leave, as he was in the wrong.

I would happily cruise with this group again. A group of college spring breakers on the other hand, would cause me to rethink my booking.

Happy Sailing,

If you go to the Chumley Bear website for info about their group cruises you will find a very defiant statement as to their continued decision to do only group bookings and refusal to consider doing full charters as the cruise lines have requested of them. I imagine at some point some lines will add them to their list of banned groups. (Not that any of this matters to me one bit).

*though I strongly advise NOT opening their website as unless you have an excellent ad blocking program you will start getting banner ads for gay cruises.

Edited by fishywood

My opinion is if you have to ask about it then you should probably dump it for another date. No matter what anyone says you will be going worrying about it and not enjoy your cruise.

Hi - the Chumley's Bears were on our Royal Princess cruise in 2013. Overall a great group of guys - very hairy guys. The overly large men wearing "wife-beater t-shirts" to breakfast were at times a bit hard to stomach (pun intended), but that could be found on any cruise. They did pretty much take over the Adult pool on sea days and there were public areas of the ship unavailable at various times.

What absolutely made up for any other inconvenience was Formal night when the kilts and logging boots appeared. :D

Our sailing on the Regal Princess had about 900 travel agents onboard. While they didn't stand out as much as the Bears, they also impacted the cruise. As others have said, it's not the Bears specifically that could impact your cruise, it is the sheer number of Bears.

Edited by MarKay525

Check your roll call thread.

Hi - the Chumley's Bears were on our Royal Princess cruise in 2013. Overall a great group of guys - very hairy guys. The overly large men wearing "wife-beater t-shirts" to breakfast were at times a bit hard to stomach (pun intended), but that could be found on any cruise. There was definitely PDA - as with any cruise. They did pretty much take over the Adult pool on sea days and there were public areas of the ship unavailable at various times.

What absolutely made up for any other inconvenience was Formal night when the kilts and logging boots appeared. :D

Our sailing on the Regal Princess had about 900 travel agents onboard. While they didn't stand out as much as the Bears, they also impacted the cruise. As others have said, it's not the Bears specifically that could impact your cruise, it is the sheer number of Bears.

As many different groups as we have come across the only group I would purposely avoid was the Travel Agents....................

Edited by TNTLAMB

As many different groups as we have come across the only group I would purposely avoid was the Travel Agents....................

LOL! We had a bunch of those on a cruise recently. All they did was hog the seats in IC and the piazza and schmooze with each other. Any large group is going to cause problems, Bears or not.

If you go to the Chumley Bear website for info about their group cruises you will find a very defiant statement as to their continued decision to do only group bookings and refusal to consider doing full charters as the cruise lines have requested of them. I imagine at some point some lines will add them to their list of banned groups. (Not that any of this matters to me one bit).

*though I strongly advise NOT opening their website as unless you have an excellent ad blocking program you will start getting banner ads for gay cruises.

When I was way younger, and A LOT thinner, I would go on one of the Atlantis chartered cruises. What a load of fun!

The Bears group isn't going on that cruise to indoctrinate anyone to their lifestyle, no more than a hetero couple doing the same. They're going with the idea of having a good time - just as the OP would expect to do. Personally I think the OP has spent too much time worrying about this.

Respectfully, I don't think anyone implied this cruise was being used as a recruitment tool. Simply put, the demographic is out of balance and could make many uncomfortable...or annoyed.

Edited by kendon