Zika Virus in Bahamas

aprilshowers2016

Has anyone seen mosquitoes on the Caribbean ships? We will travel during spring break, but afaid of the zika outbreak. How bad is the situation in Bahamas now?

Hi - I've never noticed mosquitoes on the ships when we were at sea.

You could also ask on the Princess Board or on your Roll Call.

For the specific question about the Bahamas, you might want to post on the Bahamas Port Forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

You'll probably get more responses in any of those Forums than you will get here since this issue is not unique to First Time Cruisers.

I read a statement somewhere (so many topics on this subject) that these particular mosquitos are more active during the day.

How to Prevent Bites

For those who are planning to travel in spite of the warnings, the CDC asks that pregnant women, women who are trying to become pregnant, and everyone else should strictly follow steps to protect themselves. Because the mosquitoes that spread Zika are aggressive daytime biters and live indoors and outdoors, it's especially important to follow the CDC's precautions during daylight hours.

That includes using insect repellent containing deet, picaridin, lemon eucalyptus, or IR3535. All have been approved by the Environmental Protection Agency for use during pregnancy. Also wear long-sleeved shirts and pants, the CDC says. At night, CDC recommends sleeping in a screened-in or air conditioned room or under a mosquito bed net.

Consumer Reports' recent tests of insect repellents found that the most effective product, Sawyer Fishermen's Formula with 20 percent picaridin, was also one of the safest, helping to keep away Aedes mosquitoes—the same type that transmit Zika—for at least 8 hours. Off Deepwoods VIII with 25 percent deet also kept Aedes mosquitoes at bay for 8 hours. Our tests showed that repellents containing natural plant oils, such as citronella and lemongrass, did not work against mosquitoes.

Consumer Reports Ratings are: protection against Aedes & Culex mosquitoes

#1 Sawyer Products Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin PUMP 8 & 8 hours protection Picaridin 20%

#2 Repel Lemon Eucalyptus PUMP 7 & 8 hours Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus 30%

#3 Repel Scented Family AEROSOL 5 & 8 hours Deet 15%

#4 Natrapel 8 Hours AEROSOL 7.8 & 8 hours Picaridin 20%

#5 Off Deep Woods VIII AEROSOL 8 & 8 hours Deet 25%

You generally won't have any sorts of flying insects ON the ship...the breeze is too brisk. Bring a DEET insect repellent, if you're worried.

Ships docked for hours at port can have mosquitoes. I have been bitten lounging on my balcony while in port. Often there is no breeze to speak of in port. Those who are concerned about insect-borne viruses should wear insect repellent.

Has anyone seen mosquitoes on the Caribbean ships? We will travel during spring break, but afaid of the zika outbreak. How bad is the situation in Bahamas now?

If you have reasons (pregnancy etc) for the concern then I wouldn't even contemplate it. I believe the communicability is low but personally it wouldn't even enter the equation if I were expecting a wanted child - it's just not worth it imo. I don't know how the insurance is handling it though; I'd check what your policy says

Ordered that #1 bug repellent listed above.

The ONLY time I have worn bug repellent was when we did a Maya ruins tour through the rain forest.

I HATE HATE HATE bug repellent.

At 49 not worried about children anymore...

BUT with the spread of this disease I feel it is wise this time.

Ships docked for hours at port can have mosquitoes. I have been bitten lounging on my balcony while in port. Often there is no breeze to speak of in port. Those who are concerned about insect-borne viruses should wear insect repellent.

Saw mosquitoes on deck while in port in Costa Rica.

Zika is now a concern for ALL not just pregnant women. The information is very fluid and changes daily. If you are in any area with mosquitoes (US included!) prevention/repellent is important.