Wheelchair bound passengers

On our recent cruise (Jan.11 to Jan. 21/2016) on the Vision of the Seas we noticed the obvious and total disregard by 'some' able bodied passengers for their fellow disabled/wheelchair bound passengers, especially in the theatre.

We trust those able bodied passengers enjoyed the shows and we sincerely wish they never find themselves wheelchair bound and/or with other mobility issues because...... your special wheelchair seating may be taken up by 'some' able bodied passengers.

Thank you for your inconsideration.

Edited by oldguysandgalls

If there is special seating that is occupied by unqualified guests, you could request that a host relocate the people.

I'm sure they would understand that it is reserved seating for which they do not qualify.

However, there is always a chance that they have a disability that is not apparent to the naked eye.

Rather than get upset, I would ask politely for assistance.

On our recent cruise (Jan.11 to Jan. 21/2016) on the Vision of the Seas we noticed the obvious and total disregard by 'some' able bodied passengers for their fellow disabled/wheelchair bound passengers, especially in the theatre.

We trust those able bodied passengers enjoyed the shows and we sincerely wish they never find themselves wheelchair bound and/or with other mobility issues because...... your special wheelchair seating may be taken up by 'some' able bodied passengers.

Not all disabled people have a disability that you can see. Judge not....

Can you tell us where this seating is? Do you transfer from your wc to a regular seat?

Location of wheelchair seating?:

Directly behind the last row in the theater.

Can the passenger transfer from wc to a regular seat?:

No.

While the get there earlier comment was not necessary, it is true that not all disabilities are visible. My husband and I fall into that category. Thankfully we aren't in a wheelchair (yet) but some days it's worse than others so then we absolute use our right to special services like parking. However I would agree that if you feel that someone is seated unfairly then address it with the staff for assistance so that it can be appropriately handled. Ranting at folks on cc in the hopes that they don't do it won't solve the problem except to obviously offend people who would normally like to help.

Location of wheelchair seating?:

Directly behind the last row in the theater.

Can the passenger transfer from wc to a regular seat?:

No.

This has been what I have observed on vision class, so what's the problem, were there people standing there so no wc's could have a spot? Every VC ship I have been on has had an employee there to insure the wc's were able to pull up behind the last row. Of course if the show is starting any empty space could be filled by anyone.

Edited by setsail

DH is in a chair. We have been together for 27 years, so we have been through these types of conversations with others about cruises and other venues. On most cruise ships there are two types of seating in the theatre (depending on the age of the ship). One where there are "fixed" seats and some rows are short with a wheelchair spot at the end of the row. The other type (we just experienced on Brilliance) is a flat area that has some movable chairs. In both types, the seat beside the wheelchair is supposed to be a companion chair (that is ADA specs).

I have worked many conventions that are very sensitive to handicap issues. One convention had 10 categories of types of seats for folks that self identified as disabled. So, I do know there are people that do not have noticeable handicap. To be honest, that is usually the exception, not the norm.

In the case of cruise ships, our experience has been that if a ship has handicap seats at the front, those are usually taken by able bodied people who reserve several seats beside the handicap seat because they want the best seats in the house. In the rear, we usually have no problem.

The people up front are usually aggressive about their reserved seats whether with us or the crew. In other areas of the theatre people tend to move when asked. Usually they are just not paying attention.

I know I am making generalizations, but these have been our experiences.

In all cases, it is better to get the crew involved rather than confronting yourself.

...were there people standing there so no wc's could have a spot? Every VC ship I have been on has had an employee there to insure the wc's were able to pull up behind the last row...

With all due respect, I have never seen a staff member making sure the accessible area was used only by people in wheelchairs. If someone was standing in the space designated for wheelchair-only use, I would politely ask them to please excuse me and hopefully they would move.

Thank you Barry ATL and Ken for sharing your accurate observations and we wish you and your partner, many many more happy years together.

Thank you.

DH is in a chair. We have been together for 27 years, so we have been through these types of conversations with others about cruises and other venues. On most cruise ships there are two types of seating in the theatre (depending on the age of the ship). One where there are "fixed" seats and some rows are short with a wheelchair spot at the end of the row. The other type (we just experienced on Brilliance) is a flat area that has some movable chairs. In both types, the seat beside the wheelchair is supposed to be a companion chair (that is ADA specs).

I have worked many conventions that are very sensitive to handicap issues. One convention had 10 categories of types of seats for folks that self identified as disabled. So, I do know there are people that do not have noticeable handicap. To be honest, that is usually the exception, not the norm.

In the case of cruise ships, our experience has been that if a ship has handicap seats at the front, those are usually taken by able bodied people who reserve several seats beside the handicap seat because they want the best seats in the house. In the rear, we usually have no problem.

The people up front are usually aggressive about their reserved seats whether with us or the crew. In other areas of the theatre people tend to move when asked. Usually they are just not paying attention.

I know I am making generalizations, but these have been our experiences.

In all cases, it is better to get the crew involved rather than confronting yourself.

The trouble I have is I am in a wheelchair and I am OLD, so when they put me behind the last row, I am so far away , I can't see any thing from back there anyway, lol.Believe me if I could get out of this chair to watch the show, I would be so happy to.They want us to get there early to get a spot to set, then waite untill every one leaves after the show so we want be in the way ( because we are to slow ), there has even be times I have had to waite 7 times to get a elevater, just because of the chair.Now that my Hubby ( of 52 years ) is in a chair too, he has to take 1 el. and I take another one and meet him where we are going. So I know we are in ya'lls way , but just think, it is not easy for us, but we still love to cruise. Who knows, maybe some day it may be YOU in that Chair!!!

Sometimes people confuse what exactly a handicap seat is, or a handicap person, and then try to justify various reasons, why you should not be mad or concerned. A disabled parking space is designed with extra room and and accessible with a ramp. A handicap person that does not need the extra room, or ramp may sometimes find a parking spot inconvenient, because it is farther away. They may also not look handicap etc, so often times confusion.

A handicap person that does not need a special seat, or chair, etc will most likely not sit in a seat that they know clearly is for a person and a wheelchair. If it is marked handicap seating, than all that is needed is to ask the person to move, and if no compliance, ask a host to move them.

My wife is disabled, we have a permit, but we do not always park in a handicap space because they are inconvenient sometimes, and we don't use handicap seats, or tables, because we don't need them.

Unfortunitely, many people feel entitled to a seat, just because they have a handicap parking card, and they really don't need the seat. They confuse the difference and the meaning.

I noticed this too recently on Grandeur. The suite section in the palladium was directly behind the disabled seating.

I was in a wheelchair for over 2 years, since then, I am very aware of disabled people and try to help out if I can. I couldn't believe how rude people where to me back then, cutting me off, letting a door close on me, giving me dirty looks as I struggled to get my groceries out of the basket rather than just helping me.

While we were on GOS, we watched 2 women take up 4 chairs in the disabled area so they could put their bags full of knitting, books, and other junk there. There was an elderly gentleman pushed by 2 older women, that couldn't weigh more than 90 lbs each, and they couldn't navigate around the chairs full of junk, to get to the other space to put in his wheelchair. My husband got up and helped wheel the gentleman into the spot and took the women to two seats near by. After the show we waited for the women to leave so my husband could push the chairs back in out of the way. The trio were so appreciative of us (more my DH) they told us that the staff was very helpful but none of the passengers would even look in their direction!

I wish people would take a minute out of their day, vacation, life to hold the door open, let the other person go first, just be respectful to those around them!!

Sorry for my rant! Sometimes the lil simple things that are ignored irk me to my core

Totally correct not are handicap are visible...

My DH has severe arthritis and hx of cancer, diabetic and etc...

We sit in the back because he may need to use the men's room and when he does it is NOW !!!

And YES we always get to the show at least 30 minutes early and sometime earlier if there is only one show.

Just because you can not see it doesn't mean they can't have any.

Yes, there are some people who abuse it...

I know on our last cruise SOS there was an elderly couple who needed chairs.

I did take two chairs and put them in the wc section... one in front of the other so it would not block or inter with any violation.. (finally an employee saw me and did assist me doing this.)

Edited by rjrice1

I was amazed at the inconsiderate people at the elevators. I had a woman thank me profusely for letting her get into the elevator on her chair before I got in. She had been waiting for a while and people would just cut in front of her. Every time I was at the elevators I would allow those in chairs, or those pushing strollers time to get in and I would fill in the extra space. It is just common courtesy and it makes me sad that not everyone has it.

I was also on that cruise and there were some really rude inconsiderate people on that cruise. I was using my scooter to get around and the theater was a real problem.

No one was monitoring who was using the handicapped section. One of the cruise staff did go out of her way "Mama/ Jayme" to find my daughter and me a location we could see the show.

People stood in the back and blocked our view. I felt the Windjammer was the worst. The 4 reserved handicapped tables had people playing cards and ignoring the small signs. Even moving the signs to other areas.

People were cutting ahead of me since a left a little space ahead of me in the buffet line.

I felt invisible and one rude female tell me that if I couldn't walk I should cruise and get in everyone's way

Getting there early was not the answer and the first poster was correct

Had the show already started? If it had, I can understand people may stand in the wc space rather than leaving it empty. In this case I would politely ask if you could use the spot. If the show hadn't started I would ask a member of the crew to assist you in finding an appropriate spot.

If I am waiting for an elevator with someone in a wheelchair or mobility aide I would always hold the door while they entered first and then I would enter after. But on the other hand if there is a large queue for an elevator I don't think they should get priority to be in the first arriving elevator. As others have noted just because they look able bodied doesn't mean they are and the assumption should not be 'they can take the stairs'.