Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

No life jackets in the cabins. Beginning with the Oasis class all life jackets are stored in closets near the life boat stations to save space in passenger cabins. Passenger cabins are getting smaller (so as to add more cabins). We've all seen RC adding more cabins on new ships and adding more cabins on older ships during renovations.

OMG your misinformed assumptions are really getting annoying!

The existing cabins haven't changed, there is plenty of room for life vests where they always used to keep them, above the closets or in the closets. Adding more cabins to the ships does not in any way affect the placement of life vests.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: The new location of life vests were indeed a result of the Concordia disaster as was explained by someone who at least did his research!

Never mind.

Really? Why bother posting? Clearly you had a problem with my post. If you did, say it.

Let's not act like we are 3 years old and say NEVER MIND.

It's like nails on a chalkboard.

I will just chalk it up to the fact that you are overtired. I understand last night was a HORRIBLE night for you all. I just don't see what the issue was with the post.

Rant over.

OMG your misinformed assumptions are really getting annoying!

The existing cabins haven't changed, there is plenty of room for life vests where they always used to keep them, above the closets or in the closets. Adding more cabins to the ships does not in any way affect the placement of life vests.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: The new location of life vests were indeed a result of the Concordia disaster as was explained by someone who at least did his research!

The life jackets on Oasis class have always been as muster stations; and both current ships sailing had been in service before Concordia. The reason is not space savings in cabin; it is because of the size of the ship and the time required to return to cabin to get the jacket and then to muster station would take too long. It was easier and safer to have the jackets at the station.

It is my understanding that the ship has a group of families that have children on the Autistic spectrum. I absolutely pray for these families as this is the worst case scenario ever. I can't even imagine how they are dealing with "out of the routines" When we took our daughter the emergency drill caused a full on meltdown.

You Monday morning Quarterback's should stick to second guessing the Panther's playcalling.

You have no idea what information the ship had on this system.

Believe it or not- some storms are unavoidable. Also, sometimes conditions change. Sometimes it is for the better, and sometimes they deteriorate. If they were given information about the storm and it predicted 50 knot winds and they intensified, that is not the fault of the Captain.

Sure- you may be D+members or whatever but you're not a master mariner with YEARS at sea nor do you have the same information they had.

Before you call for the Captain to walk the plank perhaps you should know all the facts.

100% Agreed - Great Post!

Yesterday was scary. Regardless of who or if anyone was at fault I am just happy to be able to argue with the trolls today. Times like yesterday should show us that sweating life's little annoyances and arguing about stupid things is really not worth it.

I am trying to avoid negative thoughts on the captain or royal's judgment here since all i can think about right now is getting through this.

But that said... Please everyone bookmark this thread so that next time you see someone complain about missing a port or being behind schedule due to weather, you can point to what happens when you actually do go through a "hurricane strength" storm. Then ask them, "would you rather go through 10 hours of helpless horror and real, true risks? Or would you rather miss the port?"

Good idea!

Read the comments there from all the Maritime experts... this is surely how SOME of the passengers will be communicating the incident with their lawyers.

For those that will undoubtedly be looking for a payday at the end of all of this, do everyone else a favor and stay home next time.

Unfortunately you are right. I am not sure what they will get, hopefully nothing, as all know the risks of cruising. The scummy lawyers will gladly meet them at pier.

Not trying to be critical but although some internal damage to the cabin is potentially scary in not sure it is a medical emergency.

I'm sure the medical teams were dealing with medical issues and perhaps that's why they have not came.

All of those critical of the captain, it looks it was predicted to have wind speeds of 75. Anthem could have easily handled that, the TA had a good few days of 80ish winds and swells of up to 18. The movement was noticeable but in no way dangerous. The ship operated as normal - venues open, indoor pools open, people out and about. If this is what was expected the captain knew the ship be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a closet door flying around a cabin of an 89 year old women who couldn't defend herself should be considered a medical emergency. What if it went airborne again and hit her?

I guarantee you that if Captain Anders had been able to do that, he would have.

This storm is no secret. It has been reported that it is coming since last week. How about delay departure until it is safe to travel?? Its all about the $$$ with Royal, safety is secondary.

Folks that are actually on this nightmare of a cruise are reporting what they are going through, the "cruise experts" on this board are contradicting them in every way shape and form... not listing as reported, not an emergency, etc... Its laughable!

Hoping for safety for all and I'm not looking forward to boarding this ship, especially if the same captain will be on board!

This storm is no secret. It has been reported that it is coming since last week. How about delay departure until it is safe to travel?? Its all about the $$$ with Royal, safety is secondary.

Yes, the storm was predicted, but it was not supposed to be nearly as bad in the area of anthem's path. Your comment about money over safety is just silly. Do you honestly think Royal wanted all this damage on their less-than-one-year old ship?

Yes, the storm was predicted, but it was not supposed to be nearly as bad in the area of anthem's path. Your comment about money over safety is just silly. Do you honestly think Royal wanted all this damage on their less-than-one-year old ship?

Like I said, they knew it was coming, safety s/b 1st. It did not change course. It is doing exactly what they reported it would. No excuse here, sorry... if they stay in port an extra day they lose $$ in many ways. The choice to sail into a storm that they were well aware of is inexcusable.

Really? Why bother posting? Clearly you had a problem with my post. If you did, say it.

Let's not act like we are 3 years old and say NEVER MIND.

It's like nails on a chalkboard.

I will just chalk it up to the fact that you are overtired. I understand last night was a HORRIBLE night for you all. I just don't see what the issue was with the post.

Rant over.

What i was never minding was i had heard it was hail and typed that. Then i found out about the glass panels and wanted to edit to reflect before time was up but phone was dying so i deleted my comment and typed what i could.. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

There were incidents before the Concordia, but I put that one out there because its the most well known one for obvious reasons. They found the same issues on the Splendor fire, I'd like to say the Dawn incident was the starting point but honestly not sure.

It was after Concordia however that I think the change really sunk in, and it would surprise me to see new ships of any size have jackets in cabins (unless required by a regulating body)

The life jackets on Oasis class have always been as muster stations; and both current ships sailing had been in service before Concordia. The reason is not space savings in cabin; it is because of the size of the ship and the time required to return to cabin to get the jacket and then to muster station would take too long. It was easier and safer to have the jackets at the station.

It is my understanding that the ship has a group of families that have children on the Autistic spectrum. I absolutely pray for these families as this is the worst case scenario ever. I can't even imagine how they are dealing with "out of the routines" When we took our daughter the emergency drill caused a full on meltdown.

Oh, how well I know! Prayers for those families that their kids will be able to regroup. If it had been my son I know I'd be dealing with it for a loooong time!

For my son, we took silicone earplugs and industrial hearing protectors for the muster drill on his first cruise (age 10) and while he didn't "like" it, we got thru it and that just became the routine. Fortunately, his sound sensitivity has faded with age - he's now 26.

I find it refreshing that so many onboard are posting positive comments and clarifying the situation rather than all the negative.

I'm sure it's been a horrifying experience being in the middle of a hurricane type storm, but the minute you board a ship (even a small boat on a lake) you must anticipate weather changes.

I'm sure the captain checked the weather forecast BEFORE leaving and it looked fine. He would not have purposefully but passengers in danger, anyone who thinks so is foolish and looking for a payday from RC.

You're wasting your breath. tbill has been complaining about her upcoming Anthem cruise and Royal on every thread possible. One day it was a rant that included her intent to share a drink package to coming back the next day with a claim that they've been upgraded to a suite.

Folks that are actually on this nightmare of a cruise are reporting what they are going through, the "cruise experts" on this board are contradicting them in every way shape and form... not listing as reported, not an emergency, etc... Its laughable!

Hoping for safety for all and I'm not looking forward to boarding this ship, especially if the same captain will be on board!

Actually, if you read the more levelheaded comments from some of the more experienced and less sensationalistic cruisers currently on the ship, many have said despite not being "fun", it was hardly the end of the world as some others are making it out to be.

The claims of a 45° list made me laugh out loud last night, at that list there would be balconies underwater!

The number of armchair meteorologists and naval engineers in this thread is mindnumbing.

Edited by Oshawapilot

See above. The forecast WHEN THEY LEFT THE DOCK (at least the one I have) called for manageable if uncomfortable seas...

Now, was it the right call, even with manageable seas because storms can change? Apparently not. But to imply that they intentionally sailed into winds they didn't know existed or would exist is unfair, unless you have data that we don't.