First Cruise ever. Oasis of the Seas. April 9-16

Formulagod

Well, after ten years of marriage, I've decided that my beautiful wife deserves quite the anniversary vacation after dealing with me for so long. We are both 36, and this will be our first cruise. After a bit of research and speaking with friends who have been on several cruises on various cruise lines, I've decided on RCCL. The timing was going to be tough. My wife is a teacher and it had to be timed during her school/spring break. After checking availability dates, I found that RCCL Oasis was scheduled for a 7-day excursion from 4/9-4/16. Perfect. Overkill for a first timer? Subjective, I suppose.

Anyhow. I've been watching YouTube videos on the Allure/Oasis, and have been poaching the forums for a while, reading up on everything I can. Haven't looked into tips/suggestions yet; I'm sure I'll get around to it sooner or later.

Anyhow, looking forward to it.

This trip is a 100% surprise. She thinks that we are going to Ft.Lauderdale on a week vacation filled with various activities that I planned out. I know she wants to do a cruise; so there is certainly no chance that she'll be mad about it.

If any of you guys have any info I should know, or are planning the same trip I am- sound off. I'd love to hear from you.

I know she wants to do a cruise; so there is certainly no chance that she'll be mad about it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Are you sure about that? Is she the kind of person that wants to get away from all the kids that she teaches - there may be quite a few on the ship.:cool:

What a wonderful surprise for her!!!! Welcome to Cruise Critic also.

Since she already knows she is going to Ft. Lauderdale, she will be packed appropriately for a cruise, also. (bathing suits, etc.) You certainly picked a GREAT ship for your first cruise. You are both going to have an amazing time. :o:):o:D

... If any of you guys have any info I should know, or are planning the same trip I am- sound off. I'd love to hear from you.

Make as many advanced entertainment reservations as possible using your Cruise Planner on Royal's website.

On the packing note, make sure she packs a couple of nicer options for formal night (if dressing up is your guys thing)!

Book all your shows ahead of time. I think the specialty restaurants are also worth a try (the 3 for $70 is a good deal IMO)... reserve these ahead of time and I would suggest to avoid booking it on formal nights as this is usually the best MDR menu.

Spend the first day exploring and getting to "know" the ship and where things are.

You can also purchase additional "surprise" packages for your stateroom that would make for a nice additional surprise... they can decorate it with a "happy anniversary" banner and have wine/champagne and chocolate for you in your stateroom, etc. You can find info: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts

That will probably be a really good date to go. Easter is March 27th and most spring breakers are already back in school. You will have a great time especially doing your 1t cruise on Oasis.

We just got back from our 1st trip on her, here is a link to my live review if you wanna check it out! Have an awesome time!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2293377

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You will find answers and input for your whole cruise vacation. Check out Ports of Call for info on shore excisions. Check cruise ports for info on hotels and info on the port your taking your cruise from. Roll Call forums is where you will find other folks that are on,the same as you. Plus more...

Planning is half the fun!

I will be on Oasis the week before you. Will be our first time on Oasis (third cruise). If you are drinkers you may want to look into the drink packages. If you are going to drink more than 5 per day each the package is the deal. Drinks are $15 each....

Highly recommend Capt Bobs go-fast/snorkel trip in St Martin. Just google and check trip advisor.

Agree with above, make sure she brings evening / cocktail dress for formal night or specialty restaurants. You also need suit or sport coat.

Also make sure she brings enough sunscreen, she may be thinking she can just pickup more at the local store during the week.

Have fun and welcome to the board.

1st CONGRATS!! on the anniversary. I am betting she will love the cruise. Our very 1st vacation together was a cruise & it was some of the best romance ever.

I was the surpriser though on our anniversary 5 years later. I had RCI decorate the cabin, had the champagne on ice & chocolate strawberries waiting in the room. It really kicked off the celebration.

I would get to know the ship as much as you can. The Allure was overwhelming it was so big.

ITA make as many reservations as you can especially shows, they fill up fast.

Have fun.

Have you booked already? If so, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

If not...take a look at Celebrity S class ships (Solstice, Equinox, Silhouette, Reflection). Those might be more appropriate for an anniversary trip- fewer kids, slightly more upscale ambiance, and the ships are BEAUTIFUL.

You might also find the food and service to be a notch above Royal.

We are booked on Allure for spring break next year- RCCL is great when you take the kiddos. But for the grown-up only cruises, we do Celebrity!