Documents to Carry while visiting ports

312182wlv

There is a requirement in Italy to carry ID, and we are always asked for it when checking into hotels, but as JB says, it's nearly unheard of for anyone to check it randomly. In our area of Italy, the police often randomly stop automobile drivers, and DH and I have been stopped a few times and asked for our driving licences. We have never been asked for anything other than that, though.

There is a requirement in Italy to carry ID, and we are always asked for it when checking into hotels, but as JB says, it's nearly unheard of for anyone to check it randomly. In our area of Italy, the police often randomly stop automobile drivers, and DH and I have been stopped a few times and asked for our driving licences. We have never been asked for anything other than that, though.

Just curious - what would happen if you provided a color copy of your license and told them the original was at home or the hotel in the safe?

To others, FWIW, we travel a great deal, many land trips, occasional cruises; sometimes alone, sometimes with friends. Never, ever have we had first hand knowledge of anyone having their passport stolen - but then again, we are all very conscious of carrying our belongings in a manner that discourages pickpocketing and theft. We read about it on CC from those who say "passports get stolen", but not from those who have experienced that. We do know of those who have been left stranded in a port without passports. It would be interesting to hear some first hand reports.

You need to be comfortable, either way.

Regardless of personal opinion, many countries require it by law. Sure checks may be random, but if you choose to ignore the laws of the countries you visit, so be it.

On many of the travel forums on TripAdvisor, you can find a number of reports of things missing from hotel safes. They are not the safest place to leave anything.

It's interesting to read the reports of ships holding passports. RC and NCL never took our passports on our Baltic, Arctic Circle or Med cruises.

On our last cruise in the Mediterranean, Celebrity collected our passports at boarding. I did not bring my Drivers license or wallet with me. They photocopied my passport and that's what I had for an ID while off the ship. I really felt uncomfortable without the passport. We always carry our passports in different countries, why else do you have them. They can be stolen, but then again so can drivers license's and cruise ship sign and sail cards. Be aware of your surroundings, carry your documents in a safe spot and you'll be fine.

To others, FWIW, we travel a great deal, many land trips, occasional cruises; sometimes alone, sometimes with friends. Never, ever have we had first hand knowledge of anyone having their passport stolen - but then again, we are all very conscious of carrying our belongings in a manner that discourages pickpocketing and theft. We read about it on CC from those who say "passports get stolen", but not from those who have experienced that.

In Barcelona (on a business trip), three male colleagues who were with me at the time had their passports stolen by pickpockets. Two of them had the passport in their front pants pockets. One had his in a jacket pocket.

I had left my passport at the hotel, so it was not taken. I am a very careful traveler and on a previous trip to Barcelona I had my wallet stolen from a bag that was over my shoulder and carried zipped, under my arm. They are good, those pickpockets.

On a trip to Rome, a traveling companion had his passport taken at Termini. He was able to get it replaced the same day before traveling onward to Florence.

On a HAL cruise departing Athens, I ate with a couple in the MDR (open seating) the first night who'd had their passports taken in Athens the previous day. They were also able to get them replaced and had them for boarding the ship the next day -- but they'd missed most of the planned sightseeing.

Just curious - what would happen if you provided a color copy of your license and told them the original was at home or the hotel in the safe?

To others, FWIW, we travel a great deal, many land trips, occasional cruises; sometimes alone, sometimes with friends. Never, ever have we had first hand knowledge of anyone having their passport stolen - but then again, we are all very conscious of carrying our belongings in a manner that discourages pickpocketing and theft. We read about it on CC from those who say "passports get stolen", but not from those who have experienced that. We do know of those who have been left stranded in a port without passports. It would be interesting to hear some first hand reports.

You need to be comfortable, either way.

Regardless of personal opinion, many countries require it by law. Sure checks may be random, but if you choose to ignore the laws of the countries you visit, so be it.

On many of the travel forums on TripAdvisor, you can find a number of reports of things missing from hotel safes. They are not the safest place to leave anything.

It's interesting to read the reports of ships holding passports. RC and NCL never took our passports on our Baltic, Arctic Circle or Med cruises.

Surely it's a bit facetious to suggest that anyone believes that carrying a copy of a licence or passport will serve exactly the same purpose as the original?

I don't carry my passport ashore, and I don't carry a copy of it, either. If I did, I wouldn't expect it to do anything except make getting a replacement slightly easier. (I do have a photo of it on my phone, but only for replacement-easing purposes.). I'm not going to try to pay my bills with a copy of my money, either! :p

I do know a few people who who have had a passport stolen, but they have lost it as a result of having a handbag snatched, not from the passport being the only item targeted/taken, although I'm certain that can happen as well.

Strictly as an anecdote, I checked into an Italian hotel once, and I had accidentally left my passport and my Italian ID at home. I was allowed to use my EU driving licence instead.

The requirement to carry an ID does exist in Italy, but by far the most requested document is the codice fiscale, the tax number, which is NOT required to be carried.

Edited by lisiamc

On a trip to Rome, a traveling companion had his passport taken at Termini. He was able to get it replaced the same day before traveling onward to Florence.

On a HAL cruise departing Athens, I ate with a couple in the MDR (open seating) the first night who'd had their passports taken in Athens the previous day. They were also able to get them replaced and had them for boarding the ship the next day -- but they'd missed most of the planned sightseeing.

Thank you.

Great examples - it isn't the end of the world if your passports do go missing but I don't think you'd be any less inconvenienced if you watched the ship sail away with your passports in an emergency. That did happen to a close friend.

Surely it's a bit facetious to suggest that anyone believes that carrying a copy of a licence or passport will serve exactly the same purpose as the original?

Exactly my point! Too many believe that having a copy will serve in case needed in a foreign country when, either way, not having access to the real thing can be a royal pain.

Our experience in Europe on HAL is they hold your passport for most of the cruise.
I've gone on three European cruises with HAL in the past five years and they didn't take the passport on any one of them, so there's no hard and fast rule. Last year in Russia we had to have our passports to get off the ship - it was the most thorough check I've ever gone through getting off a ship for a port visit.

I've gone on three European cruises with HAL in the past five years and they didn't take the passport on any one of them, so there's no hard and fast rule. Last year in Russia we had to have our passports to get off the ship - it was the most thorough check I've ever gone through getting off a ship for a port visit.

It may depend more on the itinerary than on the practices of the ship. HAL held my passport on the one Med cruise I did with them -- perhaps because there were ports that required additional clearances. The cruise went to both Israel and Egypt. For Israel we had to claim our passports and go through the usual interview with Israeli authorities (onboard ship prior to arrival). Then we had to turn the passports back in after the Israel ports. We retrieved them again prior to arrival in Egypt, each with an Egyptian visa added.

Edited by cruisemom42

Exactly my point! Too many believe that having a copy will serve in case needed in a foreign country when, either way, not having access to the real thing can be a royal pain.

Errrr, are you not mis-reading lisiamc's post?

I'll agree with lisiamc that folk don't believe that a copy is as good as the real thing.

But like others we've found it good enough ID to satisfy port security & for card purchases, we believe it will satisfy a random ID requirement of the police or other security forces or hotels, and that it will facilitate speedy issue of a replacement passport.

We carry copies ashore because we see the risk, and consequences, of our passports going astray in port as greater than the risk, and consequences, of missing our sailing & our passports sailing away with the ship.

But each to their own - whichever makes a cruiser feel more comfortable.

JB :)

But each to their own - whichever makes a cruiser feel more comfortable.

JB :)

Exactly! This discussion happens regularly on this website, and there will always be those that say leave them behind in the safe and those that will say carry them with you.

I'm in the camp that takes it with me, but maybe because I've traveled more on independent land trips versus cruises. The passport is your LEGAL ID when leaving the US and as such is your responsibility to produce it if needed.

I made quite a large purchase of Cameos in Rome, that the Jeweler was crediting back the VAT tax, so she required my passport. And anytime I wanted to use my credit card, the vendor also asked to see my passport.

Whether a copy would have sufficed, I have no way of knowing.

But I firmly believe NOBODY is going to protect and take care of MY Passport, better than I would!

Having begun my travels to Europe long before anyone even thought of schengen or the EU, I was trained to always carry my passport and still always do. Keep it in a place that it cannot be taken as you should with all your valuables and money. A pocket is not such a place, i.e. the term PICKPOCKET. It always amazes me watching what people carry in their pockets, bulging for all to see, especially in crowded areas where bumping is inevitable.