I'm about to do this!

About to put the deposit down on my very first cruise!!! It's scary, mostly because it's a lot of money! I'll be taking my mom, and my (then) 9 year old son, on the Liberty on December 4....

I'm excited, but nervous. I'm 33, and I've never been on a "real" vacation!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to cruising! You are sure to enjoy your first cruise and it likely will not be your last. And don't worry about the deposit - as long as it is a US booking it is fully refundable and transferable up until the time of final payment.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Congrats on booking your first cruise, ashleyhaugh! Have fun reading through CC for lots of info. Your son is sure to like Adventure Ocean, the onboard kid's program. Scavenger hunts, sports tournaments, talent shows, etc. And feel free to check out your Roll Call here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2192953. :) P.S. The Liberty should be festive and decorated for Christmas by then!

Edited by jmf123

About to put the deposit down on my very first cruise!!! It's scary, mostly because it's a lot of money! I'll be taking my mom, and my (then) 9 year old son, on the Liberty on December 4....

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You've picked a excellent ship for your first cruise. You will be spoiled.:)

Welcome to CC.

Wife and I are booked on that cruise as well. Our favorite time to cruise (between holidays). Most years we make the short drive over to Galveston and hop on board that first week after the Thanksgiving break.

First cruises are special.

Definitely agree! Went on my first one last year on the Radiance to Alaska (my wife surprised me with it), was blown away by it all.

Was definitely more comfortable and fun than my last time aboard a vessel that size (USS Anzio CG-68) :D

It's done!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You've picked a excellent ship for your first cruise. You will be spoiled.:)

That's good to know... We're in San Antonio, so wanted something fairly close to home for the first time.

Welcome! I hope your first cruise is amazing. Which itinerary are you doing?

Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth

Breathe! You will survive! :D:D:D

Now to build your excitement, watch all the latest videos on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=liberty+of+the+seas+2016

You're going to love it and if you add up all of the costs (food, entertainment, car, etc.) for a land based vacation you'll find that cruising is actually a really good deal.

The only problem is you'll be addicted like us...

:rolleyes:

Tom

Congrats! We are going on our second cruise, also on Liberty and just a few weeks before you. You'll love it, and with Liberty so close this may be your first cruise but it probably won't be your last! [emoji6] Have fun with planning!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by widallas

Nothing to be nervous about! Do pick up a guidebook on your ports at your library, so you'll know something about where you're going! Get both your mom and son involved in finding out about your ports...what there is, and what you want to do and see! Ship's excursions are pricey, but sooooo many things are easy to DIY! Research is key!!!

Two years ago for my I decided I wanted to celebrate my 50th birthday in Hawaii with my brother and his wife. It was a surprise for to them and I paid for their airfare and hotel. I did a lot planning and booked tours and shows because I wanted it to be perfect and special. The trip cost me over $4K. That was a lot of money to me....but you know it was worth every cent. Money sitting in the bank doesn't create lasting memories and good times. We still talk about the trip and have so many wonderful pictures and memories. You only have one life to live and best to enjoy it now with your mom and son. Don't be nervous. Once you get on the ship and the ship pulls out of port and sails into the horizon you will have a blast. Enjoy.

There was a middle aged couple that I worked with in a previous job. They wrote an article in the company newsletter about how your kids are only young once and even if you have to borrow money for a vacation the memories are so worth it. A couple of years later they were in a car accident and the wife had a traumatic brain injury and had to start learning everything, including family, from the beginning. I will always remember them. I never borrowed money, but we have said to ourselves "we could have a lot of things or money in the bank if we hadn't traveled so much" we would not have had all of those great memories. Sorry if this is a downer, I was meaning it as inspiration. Have a great cruise :)

There was a middle aged couple that I worked with in a previous job. They wrote an article in the company newsletter about how your kids are only young once and even if you have to borrow money for a vacation the memories are so worth it. A couple of years later they were in a car accident and the wife had a traumatic brain injury and had to start learning everything, including family, from the beginning. I will always remember them. I never borrowed money, but we have said to ourselves "we could have a lot of things or money in the bank if we hadn't traveled so much" we would not have had all of those great memories. Sorry if this is a downer, I was meaning it as inspiration. Have a great cruise :)

I so agree with this! I wouldn't take out a loan but I would certainly sacrifice to make it happen.

My husband and I made a conscious decision to

travel with our 2 sons while they were young.

We gave up fancy dinners and new cars for shared experiences.

They are now grown and always tell us they had the best childhood and they still travel with us when their schedules permit.

If you really want it, you can make it happen!

Enjoy every minute as you only get one shot at life!

A 9 year old in Grand Cayman? He will NEVER forget swimming with the sting rays. My 2 kids still talk about it years later.

There will be ship excursions but this is one that can be done easily on a private tour.

We used these guys https://www.captainmarvins.com/ and had no problems and a great time.

You're going to love it and if you add up all of the costs (food, entertainment, car, etc.) for a land based vacation you'll find that cruising is actually a really good deal.

The only problem is you'll be addicted like us...

:rolleyes:

Tom

Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth;)

No doubt about this...our DD now 25 and an Air Force Sgt, still talks about our trip to Yellowstone, when she was 5! They never forget those trips. A sound investment, your cruise. You will love Liberty!!!!:D

Edited by BecciBoo

ITA, life is short & unpredictable. I have never regretted missing a meeting to take my family on vacation, sporting event or just watching my kid play baseball.

Congrats on your first cruise. I still remember our first cruise so well.

A 9 year old in Grand Cayman? He will NEVER forget swimming with the sting rays. My 2 kids still talk about it years later.

There will be ship excursions but this is one that can be done easily on a private tour.

We used these guys https://www.captainmarvins.com/ and had no problems and a great time.

thanks for the link! looks cheaper, and much better descriptions, than through Royal

Welcome to CC. My daughter was 8 when we cruised for the first time. She wanted to go to the children's room whenever it was opened. At that time she said she wanted to work on a cruise ship when she grew up. When she was 23 she fulfilled that dream, when she worked for RCCL.

I hope all of you enjoy your cruise.