Et Tu Celebrity?

zlato

Now that Celebrity has surrendered to the vocal majority, are there any cruise lines which still require formal wear (tux or suit) on one or more nights depending on the length of the cruise? Looking for a cruising oasis of elegance. Will Titanic 2 (scheduled for 2018) insist on formal wear in first, second, or third class?

Now that Celebrity has surrendered to the vocal majority, are there any cruise lines which still require formal wear (tux or suit) on one or more nights depending on the length of the cruise? Looking for a cruising oasis of elegance. Will Titanic 2 (scheduled for 2018) insist on formal wear in first, second, or third class?

Although not required, many of us on X will still be wearing formal. Celebrity has surrendered mainly due to marketing purposes, but quite a few cruisers will still do as they please and wear their suits and cocktail dresses. Feel free to join us!

You could try Cunard ships. Last time I looked they had not lowered their elegant standards. There may be other lines, others will tell you if there are.

Even on Celebrity there are people still elegantly dressed in formal wear. There are no rules, yet, that one may not dress up if one wishes.

Good luck.

Cunard is about the only one. And like the other poster I will still wear a sports coat, dress slacks and a tie. Oh yeah, I wear Birkenstock sandals (with socks for dinner only!).

Princess has been letting men in the MDR with shirt and tie (sans jacket) on formal nights. Look to Cunard if you want an enforced formal night.

OR just ignore everyone else and pull out your tux and gown on formal/chic nights if you like the feel.

Hubby still packing his tux, I'm going with cocktail dresses rather than gowns (I've still got really good legs so prefer to show them off:D).

I don't give a hoot what anybody else is wearing though. Live and let live!

Same here. No gowns, but by the time I add the bling, my maxi and cocktail dresses look quite festive!!

No hoot given here either! ;)

Princess, P&O, Royal Caribbean (except Quantum class), Cunard, etc still have official formal evenings. However, just as with Celebrity's for.al formal evenings, enforcement is minimal. Moat folks make an effort from slacks and ties to slacks and sport coats, etc. And ladies in black slacks with sparkly tops, cocktail dresses, etc. There's some tuxes and ball gowns sprinkled throughout.

The only line still requiring jackets for dinner on almost all evenings and suits and tuxes for formal night is Cunard. The others are all much closer to what Celebrity was before they made the official change.

So, if formal dress, jackets for dinner, etc is important to you, then Funded is your best bet. And on Cunard, they request their dress code be followed in the theater also, it's not just the dining room...

Hubby still packing his tux, I'm going with cocktail dresses rather than gowns (I've still got really good legs so prefer to show them off:D).

I don't give a hoot what anybody else is wearing though. Live and let live!

We are the same and don't plan to change. :D

We are the same and don't plan to change. :D

We're on the Equinox a week from Monday with a tux packed for me and evening dresses for my wife. That's part of the fun for us, and like you, we don't much care what anyone else is doing. For us..it's part of the mystique of cruising. :D

Ditto. Sailing March 20 Eclipse and taking the Tux. I attended a Travel Show yesterday and approached the Celebrity rep. I told her we had been loyal Celebrity cruiser since 1995 and was very disappointed in the dress code change. She spent most of the conversation defending the decision. She said it was done to make the other passengers feel like they did not have to dress up. I said, well what about buffet for those folks. She repeated the previous. I said, well, no one was ever forced to wear a tux. There was always the option to wear a coat and tie on formal nights. She again repeated the previous. I said, well, now you have taken the level of acceptable dress all the way down to wearing jeans. She again repeated the previous. And finally, I said, I believe those choosing to wear a tux are going to feel uncomfortable surrounded by passengers wearing jeans, shirt tails hanging out, and ball caps on their head while eating. She said, feel out the comment card.

I have mixed feelings about the formal nights. It is nice to see a classy dress up. However, not having to pack the formal clothes helps a lot with the packing.

We always plan a land portion either pre or post cruise and are usually away from home for 3 or more weeks. Also, we limit ourselves to one large suitcase each. Not having to pack the formal stuff allows more flexibility for packing.

It is nice to dine in a restaurant where no one is wearing sandals, flip flops, T-shirts with advertising, etc. The new standards still keep the grunge out, but it is not the same.

Still, I am willing to give the new policy a try.

Ditto. Sailing March 20 Eclipse and taking the Tux. I attended a Travel Show yesterday and approached the Celebrity rep. I told her we had been loyal Celebrity cruiser since 1995 and was very disappointed in the dress code change. She spent most of the conversation defending the decision. She said it was done to make the other passengers feel like they did not have to dress up. I said, well what about buffet for those folks. She repeated the previous. I said, well, no one was ever forced to wear a tux. There was always the option to wear a coat and tie on formal nights. She again repeated the previous. I said, well, now you have taken the level of acceptable dress all the way down to wearing jeans. She again repeated the previous. And finally, I said, I believe those choosing to wear a tux are going to feel uncomfortable surrounded by passengers wearing jeans, shirt tails hanging out, and ball caps on their head while eating. She said, feel out the comment card.

I think that Rep could be in deep doo-doo if her replies to you became known to Celebrity indicating they are only concerned with making one type of passenger comfortable and the rest of us aren't represented. She could have softened the remarks to be more inclusive. I think we all know the 'why' of the decision but coming across as being dismissive of other style tastes is a little insulting. Besides, comment cards seem to be ignored.

Edited by oceangoer2

Maybe everyone should worry more about the declining quality of food in the MDR not the declining quality of MDR attire!

We have been cruising Celebrity since December 2011 (9 cruises) and not found the MDR food to be in decline.

We do miss the end of cruise brunch, but that is another subject.

We have been cruising Celebrity since December 2011 (9 cruises) and not found the MDR food to be in decline.

We do miss the end of cruise brunch, but that is another subject.

I am hoping my upcoming Constellation transatlantic will be much better than our recent Silhouette TA. THAT really was the worst food I have ever had on a cruise in a MDR. The Bistro on 5 however was fabulous.