Cost of Living on a Carnival Cruise Ship

plane2port

Recently I read the thread about Egon Landsberg's year long cruise on the MSC Poesia, and it got me to thinking about folks actually living aboard cruise ships. I'm going to be comparing the cost of living/sailing on several lines. I'm first looking at Carnival!

I didn't want to post the whole blog entry here because it would make for a rather lengthy post.

http://www.plane2port.com/cost-of-living-on-a-carnival-cruise-ship/

Let me know what you think!

Edited by plane2port

Recently I read the thread about Egon Landsberg's year long cruise on the MSC Poesia, and it got me to thinking about folks actually living aboard cruise ships. I'm going to be comparing the cost of living/sailing on several lines. I'm first looking at Carnival!

I didn't want to post the whole blog entry here because it would make for a rather lengthy post.

Altho you are looking at a bare minimum cost you have to take in to consideration laundry expenses, cell phone data usages and wifi costs, liquor splurged or Sodas.. unless I depend on living on water and ice tea or lemonade all night, tipping personal and access to materials when supplies run low and the cost of inflation of such items in a foreign country unless u wait to restock and buy supplies in the states.

I travel and play poker for a living so I know what being all around is about. Better to just pay a mortgage or rent and travel cruises sporadically or as frequently as you can in a year

Altho you are looking at a bare minimum cost you have to take in to consideration laundry expenses, cell phone data usages and wifi costs, liquor splurged or Sodas.. unless I depend on living on water and ice tea or lemonade all night, tipping personal and access to materials when supplies run low and the cost of inflation of such items in a foreign country unless u wait to restock and buy supplies in the states.

I travel and play poker for a living so I know what being all around is about. Better to just pay a mortgage or rent and travel cruises sporadically or as frequently as you can in a year

I'm not sure that I personally would want to do it either, but the concept in intriguing and I've often wondered what it would really cost.

You are right that there would be additional costs, but since these vary so much depending on individual needs/wants, I haven't included them in my analysis.

So the four days starting Jan 16th you live in the port or what? Looks like you missed four days

Thanks for pointing this out. The January 16 date for the Victory didn't show up on the website--that's how I missed it. It must be chartered out for that date. I will edit.

Edited by plane2port

I read your blog about the prices for living aboard Carnival for a month but did you think about calling them to get a discount price? Because I have heard of people staying on the ship btbtbtb and getting a very good rate to do this. Might be something to consider to get a real budget total to base upon.

Within a year you'd be Diamond and need not worry about laundry. It would definitely be less expensive than most assisted living communities, BUT you'd need to be in excellent health. The cost of medical care is extremely high on a cruise ship, and many specialized personnel and equipment are not available. The charges must be paid up front (you'd then be responsible to "fight it out" with your insurance company). Also, be certain to include the tips you'd be paying each month.

I read your blog about the prices for living aboard Carnival for a month but did you think about calling them to get a discount price? Because I have heard of people staying on the ship btbtbtb and getting a very good rate to do this. Might be something to consider to get a real budget total to base upon.

I agree totally that you should do this if you really were considering living on a cruise ship. I'm quoting the company's website prices so I can have a basis for comparision as I look at different cruiselines.

Within a year you'd be Diamond and need not worry about laundry. It would definitely be less expensive than most assisted living communities, BUT you'd need to be in excellent health. The cost of medical care is extremely high on a cruise ship, and many specialized personnel and equipment are not available. The charges must be paid up front (you'd then be responsible to "fight it out" with your insurance company). Also, be certain to include the tips you'd be paying each month.

This issue of medical insurance is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

I have included gratuities in my calculations.

In 2014, I spent 21 weeks on cruise ships, 17 cruises, split up throughout the year, several consecutive. I spent less than $25,000 for 2 I have an annual health- travel policy that is very cheap. My travels were in Europe, Alaska, Hawaii, Caribbean.

In 2014, I spent 21 weeks on cruise ships, 17 cruises, split up throughout the year, several consecutive. I spent less than $25,000 for 2 I have an annual health- travel policy that is very cheap. My travels were in Europe, Alaska, Hawaii, Caribbean.

That works out to be about $170 a day. Good job!

It is funny that you mentioned people living on cruise because I did meet an older guy that does live on different cruise ships and over the years he learned how to cut corners such as not going on excursions, not using his sign and sail to buy anything while on the ships, etc

Gary

My husband and I are planning a year of travel. Our budget will only be $100 a day though. We would love it if it were on a cruise ship and hope to sneak a cruise in our year somewhere...hopefully by saving lots of money on our Central America portion.

My husband and I are planning a year of travel. Our budget will only be $100 a day though. We would love it if it were on a cruise ship and hope to sneak a cruise in our year somewhere...hopefully by saving lots of money on our Central America portion.

Is that per person? It's going to be tough if not.

For me, it matters where I went, and that was my priority. With a lower budget, you are going to be making too many compromises in my opinion. Just not suitable for me. :) I had about 7 weeks of land touring, as well, with my travel. I would not have considered all that time in the Caribbean. :) Everyone is different, it's important to find your own way. A lot of options to consider.

I had never heard or seen anyone get any discount for doing a B2B2B, ever. I have gotten offers where I could string a number of cruises together at a great individual price but it wasn't due to being consecutive cruises. There is another fellow who has written about being onboard for 50 weeks or so a year and he stated he received no discounts simply due to multiple cruises.

Question - you mentioned having to get off the ship every 3-4 days to go thru customs. I may be wrong about this, but passengers booked on b2b cruises don't have to get off the ship, do they?

I'm following your blog because recently my sister and I were talking about retiring on a cruise ship.

Roz

What company do you get an annual health travel policy from?

$165,000 yr on one of luxury ships, believe it was SilverSeas.

There have been people who did this in the past. I believe there is one called Mama Lou who may be currently on HAL. There was a woman, Bea Muller, who lived on QE2 and QV for years, but her health failed and she had to go back to land (since died). And there was Louise Artz who lived on the original Royal Princess, and was godmother to the second Royal P. She is also deceased. There is a couple from Canada who spend their winters sailing Celebrity ships from Florida. I believe he is the 'most sailed' person on Celebrity. These people don't sail in suites, or even balconies. EM