1st Time and Scared

mel5161

I will also be taking a first cruise in Nov. First time posting.

Ironically, when we decided to plan and book, the news media could talk of little else but the Anthem. So it was a bit unsettling.

I have found that the majority of the responders want to be helpful, ignore the others.

Having said that, our cruise is booked for our 30th anniversary..

My worries now are the fact that it is a whole new experience and everything about it is unknown to me.

But I have not met anyone who did not absolutely love their cruise experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Congratulations on your 30th anniversary.

Our first cruise was actually for our 25th anniversary. Funny story--I suggested a cruise for that special anniversary, and DW thought it was a good idea. I suggested Bermuda because we could drive to the port of NY City. (This was not that far after 9/11, and who wanted to fly.) She said no, how about Alaska. That did not excite me. (We have since cruised to both, and both of us enjoyed both cruises.) I sent for some brochures and saw a Barcelona to Barcelona including a port for Rome, a port for Florence, and a port for Nice among other stops. Since DW is an elementary school art teacher, I knew she would love that. And yes, I was apprehensive, especially about flying. But all was fine.

As for the discussion of rough seas--on our second cruise we were in the Western Caribbean, and a hurricane hit. My mother in law thought they would cruise into it and drop us off in Fort Lauderdale during a hurricane. Instead we ended up with two extra days at sea. On the second of those days, the captain took us closer to Florida so passengers could get cell phone reception to call their travel agent or airline.

Things were somewhat bouncy. For instance my DW was one of the only two people in the swimming pool in the morning. She said it was like being in the ocean with the waves. They actually drained the pool in the afternoon. I read in another cruise forum that people were throwing up in the elevators and angry with the captain's decision. I posted back that that was no true, and the reason I knew that was because I was actually on that cruise, not relying on "I heard from someone that..."

Actually the worst part was the disembarkation because there were not enough immigration agents for all the ships coming in. Plus everyone needed to get to the airport early to get standby flights. The lounge with the first few colors called was incredibly overcrowded before disembarkation finally started. The airport on a holiday weekend (we finally left on Labor Day) after there were no flights for two days was also no picnic.

But, the point is that the experience of the Anthem is definitely not the norm. Usually the ship steers clear of storms.

I will also be taking a first cruise in Nov. First time posting.

Ironically, when we decided to plan and book, the news media could talk of little else but the Anthem. So it was a bit unsettling.

I have found that the majority of the responders want to be helpful, ignore the others.

Having said that, our cruise is booked for our 30th anniversary..

My worries now are the fact that it is a whole new experience and everything about it is unknown to me.

But I have not met anyone who did not absolutely love their cruise experience.

Thanks so much everyone for the great responses. I won't cancel. My cruise is in my May and by then I'm sure I will have gotten over myself! I'll welcome any advice for first timers. I'll be sailing on May 7 from NYC to Florida and Bahamas on the Gem.

That period of time before that "first time". :)

I had always thought I had no interest in a cruise, that I would be claustrophobic, I would get sea sick etc. etc. etc.

Then came the time when we were planning our first trip to Australia and New Zealand, and the long flight to Auckland. So DH and I started looking at how to get back to the US without the long flight from Sydney, and discovered there were cruises. 18 nights Sydney to Honolulu. I said I guess we will either really love it, or really not love it.

By the time the ship left Sydney I was hooked. I was completely in awe, totally amazed. I stood out on the deck taking picture after picture of Sydney, the Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House.

We had some really rough seas, especially the Tasman Sea. We missed two or three port stops because of the seas. But I discovered if I got my iPad and got on the bed and continued reading whatever Kindle book I was on, in no time I was asleep. I love being rocked to sleep.

I love cruising. We started late but we are trying to catch up. :D

I hope both of you will come back and relay what a wonderful experience your first cruise is.

Most of the time you won't know the ship is underway. Smooth sailing applies here especially to the Bahamas. After this cruise you'll understand just what tremendous seas are needed to adversely affect a 100+ ton ship. If you want to be concerned about something just ask yourself how this steel ship is able to float like a bar of Ivory soap? HA! Have a fun trip and many more after that.

225,000 ton ship. 100 ton would be a small fishing boat or a rich persons cruiser!!!

I had always thought I had no interest in a cruise, that I would be claustrophobic, I would get sea sick etc. etc. etc.

Then came the time when we were planning our first trip to Australia and New Zealand, and the long flight to Auckland. So DH and I started looking at how to get back to the US without the long flight from Sydney, and discovered there were cruises. 18 nights Sydney to Honolulu. I said I guess we will either really love it, or really not love it.

By the time the ship left Sydney I was hooked. I was completely in awe, totally amazed. I stood out on the deck taking picture after picture of Sydney, the Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House.

We had some really rough seas, especially the Tasman Sea. We missed two or three port stops because of the seas. But I discovered if I got my iPad and got on the bed and continued reading whatever Kindle book I was on, in no time I was asleep. I love being rocked to sleep.

I hope both of you will come back and relay what a wonderful experience your first cruise is.

But you did sail out of one spectacular harbour!

May around Florida and the Bahamas means you will be in some of the calmest waters on the planet at that time of year.... I'd be surprised if the swell manages to reach six feet, which you probably won't even notice.

I've been on cruise ships in very rough weather; storm-force winds and 30+ foot seas. In those conditions there are usually only two significant dangers to passengers.

Firstly, going up and down stairs. Some people, not matter how bumpy it is, won't hold on to the handrails - and so fall down the stairs if the ship rolls or pitches unexpectedly. "One hand for the ship, one hand for yourself".

Secondly, the only interior door in your cabin will be to the bathroom. Make sure it can never slam on your fingers.....

But in May out of Florida.... you probably will forget you are at sea.....

Edited by Vampire Parrot

I've been on lots of cruises with rough water, most memorably each time we went up to Alaska and also in the Bay of Biscaye doing "the BoB"! My dad was a Captain with a 33 year career. He has been in far, far worse in far smaller ships than Anthem and he lived to tell about it. In all his years at sea he never had to abandon ship or had a ship go down or even have one in an accident such as a collision or running aground. These ships are designed to weather a storm and rough seas. And in fact Anthem's Captain said she handled well! He was able to keep her correctly positioned throughout the onslaught and the fact that he sent all souls onboard to their cabins and only wound up with 4 people with minor injuries out of over 6,000 makes him a hero in my book! Clearly, he did the right thing by all the passengers given the unpredictable nature of the storm he was faced with.

As far as rough seas go, it always makes sense to go on a cruise prepared. Most of the time we don't need any anti-seasickness medications at all. For most medium type situations Bonine works for me, but when we get into really high seas, then we use Trans Derm Scops which are a prescription we get from our doctor and we go midship and wait it out. We might read our IPads or play games on them. Usually most stuff is cancelled due to safety concerns. A lot of people will be in their cabins, so to a great extent we get the ship to ourselves. There are some funny things about high seas, like seeing the water in the main pool shoot 20 ft into the air like a geyser and watching people walk one direction and then another as the waves cause them to change direction. There is often a seasick table setup in the atrium to dispense meds and fresh barf bags available everywhere at intervals. Hold on with one hand at all times - even in the shower and on the toilet and keep your knees bent and time your steps to the ships motion and if you're not sure what it's about to do, stop and hold on until the motion becomes more regular.

While the days at which the sea is the heaviest are not my favorites it's not because I'm scared, but because it is boring since most entertainment has to be cancelled and the outside decks are closed leaving limited opportunities to entertain myself, but I always know, this will pass. And dining is something of a challenge in high seas, usually involving holding your glass while simultaneously eating with your other hand using just a fork. I always think ahead in my ordering and choose foods that don't require a knife. LOL! Usually by the next day, the seas are calm and it's like nothing ever happened.

So remember, if you are in high seas, this IS what the ship is designed for and you are really very safe although you might not feel terribly comfortable at the time. Ride it out and this will always pass in time.

Not looking for some therapy, just some well informed replies, which yours was not. Thanks for the harsh and useless reply.

Uninformed and harsh?

Why? Because I didn't wrap the answer in a warm unicorn and playful puppy blanket?

Others seemed to agree that the seas can be very hazardous and rough.

Uninformed and harsh?

Why? Because I didn't wrap the answer in a warm unicorn and playful puppy blanket?

Others seemed to agree that the seas can be very hazardous and rough.

You are correct. The sea can often become angry and hazardous but most experienced captains know to steer clear of those conditions. She was not asking for therapy, just reasonable advice.

The Anthem was in a freak storm. And the weather is so different in May, you will be fine! It is before hurricane season and May is the time I like to go!

Think about the hundreds of cruise ships sailing every week from all over the world and you hardly ever hear of an incident, especially of this magnitude. I have been on 24 cruises so you can tell I love it. And I hope you do too! It is my favorite way to vacation because you food and entertainment all there and you don't have drive and worry about traffic or getting lost! It can be so relaxing!

Happy sailing!

Try and put away your fears. I was very nervous before our first cruise as I suffer from vertigo. I was worried about so many things but SO GLAD IWENT AWAY. LOVED IT. It is like being in a floating hotel. Things can happen anywhere but life goes on. I now have over thirty cruises under my belt and as soon as I get off the ship I am looking forward to the next one. :)

P.S. I have not yet suffered from a vertigo attack on a cruise.

Am taking my first cruise May 2016. So happy to read your posting as I too have concerns about getting motion sickness. I'll let you know how it goes:) Thanks!