alaska cruises that are different

oceanfan1212

Dream Cruises,, Linblad etc.

There are only 6 Inside Passage, Alaska ports, the regular cruise lines sail. Have you been to all of them? Seen all the glacier areas? An alternative, at the lower- regular cruise costs, would be to choose one of those cruises, with ports/glaciers you haven't been to.

Or do a mainland tour, easy to find new places in all that vastness. I always see something new. ;)

oceanfan1212,

You asked about taking an Alaska cruise on a smaller ship. You might take a look at Holland America. This summer we are going on a 14 day Alaska cruise on Holland America. The ship is the Maasdam with a passenger capacity of 1,258.

We have been on 2 previous Alaska cruises, but chose this one for its unique itinerary. Here it is below.

Seattle, Washington

Vancouver Island - Cruising

Ketchikan, Alaska

Scenic Cruising Tracy Arm

Juneau, Alaska

Icy Strait Point, Alaska (tender)

At Sea

Anchorage, Alaska

Homer, Alaska

Kodiak, Alaska

Hubbard Glacier

Sitka, Alaska (tender)

At Sea

Victoria, BC, Canada

Seattle, Washington

Happy cruising. It's a great way to travel!

Edited by JimAOk1945

An interesting way to explore the SE is via the Alaska Marine Hwy. Fly into Juneau then use the ferry system to visit any ports of interest. ie take it to Gustavus and spend a few days exploring Glacier Bay.

It can be tricky to plan ; sometimes the ferry may leave or arrive at 3am so it's hard to work around those hours. Some trips are short, some are long where you might want to book a cabin to overnight.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Uncruise is one of the small ship cruiselines. Pricey and small rooms but people rave about them.

Here's a trip report where the traveler took three one-week cruises back to back/ They will give you a good idea of what to expect.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2064094&highlight=uncruise

NCL offers a 10 day cruise in May and September that includes Sitka, Icy Strait Point as well as Glacier Bay, Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Victoria and Vancouver. Prices are pretty good since they are repos before and after the main Alaska cruise dates.

I did the Holland cruise this past year and it was great!

Want to see my DREAM cruise? Look at this!:

http://www.crystalcruises.com/alaska-cruises/northwest-passage--6319

I could never afford it, but for those who can this is beyond awesome.

WOW! You are right! It is beyond awesome . . . way beyond awesome!!!

Edited by JimAOk1945

One of the interesting things about the 'Northwest Passage' cruise is that

I think last year, or maybe the year before, was the first time cruise ships

could take this route. Ten years ago even a commercial ship had to have

an Icebreaker along. The 'Northwest Passage is open!

Now who would be in denial about that? And what it implies about the

change of weather patterns across the World?

I will leave the rest alone.

But I sure wish I could do the cruise.

Looking to go to Alaska in 2017. We want something different than Juneau, Ketchican and Skagway. Does any cruise line have a different itinerary? Like Sitka or other different city? Thanks for any information you have.

In 2017, we are doing a 14-night on HAL that in addition to the normal stops will go to Icy Straight Point, Homer, Anchorage, Kodiak, & Sitka. (The fares are what you would expect for a 14-night cruise.)

In 2017, we are doing a 14-night on HAL that in addition to the normal stops will go to Icy Straight Point, Homer, Anchorage, Kodiak, & Sitka. (The fares are what you would expect for a 14-night cruise.)

your vacation looks great. have fun; I will be doing roundtrip from Seattle

• 2 weeks later...
An interesting way to explore the SE is via the Alaska Marine Hwy. Fly into Juneau then use the ferry system to visit any ports of interest. ie take it to Gustavus and spend a few days exploring Glacier Bay.

It can be tricky to plan ; sometimes the ferry may leave or arrive at 3am so it's hard to work around those hours. Some trips are short, some are long where you might want to book a cabin to overnight.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Uncruise is one of the small ship cruiselines. Pricey and small rooms but people rave about them.

Here's a trip report where the traveler took three one-week cruises back to back/ They will give you a good idea of what to expect.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2064094&highlight=uncruise

Totally agree w Mapleleaves on the Marine Highway. You can get anywhere on their ships and you will get to talk to Alaskans and not other cruisers. You might have to spend a few days in one of the smaller towns until the next ferry comes along and the accommodations are a bit spartan but they provide a great option to the megaships.

I should add that you are not restricted to SE AK however. Check out this site - http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/ - which shows that the ferries go essentially everywhere in AK.

DON

In 2017, we are doing a 14-night on HAL that in addition to the normal stops will go to Icy Straight Point, Homer, Anchorage, Kodiak, & Sitka.

This is the same cruise we are doing on the Holland America Massdam in August. It will be our first time on this itinerary. We are so excited about it!

Edited by JimAOk1945

We enjoyed Icy Strait Point. So far, it is still relatively unspoiled by the tourist industry. We are looking forward to visiting Sitka for the first time for same reason.

I wish there were more itineraries with either of these on it (especially in lieu of Skagway, which IMO other than White Pass does not have much), but then again, I suppose they would then be more spoiled by tourism. ;)