Problem with FTTF

ctrygl

My DH and I will be on our first cruise the Glory Feb 27-March 5. We booked through a local travel agent.(who obviously doesn't book a lot of Carnival cruises) I have severe arthritis in both knees and have a hard time standing for any length of time without pain. So when I read about FTTF, I thought that would be awesome for embarking for me. I asked her in January to book it for me and she said no problem she'd look into it . When she called me back saying she called and they told her there is no hurry, you can book FTTF anytime, she decided to wait till our paperwork came in. So, our paperwork came in last week, she called and they said it was all booked up. She was upset and so was I when she told me on Friday. She said she would try calling again to see what she could do, but I think not.

Can anyone tell me , if our embarking times are between 12:30-3pm ,how long it wold take. I keep reading different a lot of different experiences. The length of time standing is important. It seems that for our first cruise all is not starting out well. :(:mad::(:mad::confused:

The Glory is out of Miami, right?

We've always gotten to port on the early side (10ish for 12:30 boarding), and haven't had to wait in many lines...we've just had a lot of sitting around between checking in and boarding. If you're ok with sitting around, being early may work out well for you.

I've also heard the opposite is true--show up toward the end of the boarding time, and you shouldn't have too many lines. I personally have never done that, though.

My dad has severe mobility issues, and uses one of those walker/chair combos so that he always has a seat with him. If you don't already have one of those, perhaps this is a good time to get one? I don't know that I've ever seen one on a ship, but I can't imagine they are forbidden.

The Glory is out of Miami, right?

We've always gotten to port on the early side (10ish for 12:30 boarding), and haven't had to wait in many lines...we've just had a lot of sitting around between checking in and boarding. If you're ok with sitting around, being early may work out well for you.

I've also heard the opposite is true--show up toward the end of the boarding time, and you shouldn't have too many lines. I personally have never done that, though.

My dad has severe mobility issues, and uses one of those walker/chair combos so that he always has a seat with him. If you don't already have one of those, perhaps this is a good time to get one? I don't know that I've ever seen one on a ship, but I can't imagine they are forbidden.

That is what I was thinking. Get to port early, maybe have a late breakfast close by . I don't need a walker (too proud i guess) but as long as there are places to sit then I should be good. thank you for the info. :):)

How are you with walking? You also may want to look into getting a mobility scooter when you're on board if you haven't already. You mentioned standing around is hard--how is walking? There is SO MUCH walking on a cruise, from getting from your cabin to meals to pools to activities. I'm trying to think if there are any places to stop and take a break when you're walking from point A to point B, and I don't think there are.

I obviously don't know your personal situation, but I can't imagine my dad functioning on a cruise without a scooter. I think that you need to have a handicapped room in order to manage the scooter, though. You may consider checking on the accessibility boards to inquire as well.

I think cruising can be a great vacation for someone with mobility issues, but it definitely takes some planning and "extras" to keep you comfortable. Good luck and happy cruising!

You're probably better off calling Carnival and asking for special needs and ask for assistance with boarding. I have no experience with it, but I believe they have some wheelchairs at the port to assist.

If you really want FTTF, keep checking daily. Sometimes, they open up.

I agree that you should keep watch yourself for FTTF.

You don't need your TA for that.

Go into your booking and look in the shore excursions for your home port. If you see FTTF then just grab it and use your credit card to pay for it. You only need one for your cabin.

It is late to find it now so I agree that you should ask for help boarding from Carnival. I'd also tell your TA that you are upset and hope she will compensate you in some way for her error in judgement!

You're probably better off calling Carnival and asking for special needs and ask for assistance with boarding. I have no experience with it, but I believe they have some wheelchairs at the port to assist.

If you really want FTTF, keep checking daily. Sometimes, they open up.

I think this is the way to go!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

My DH and I will be on our first cruise the Glory Feb 27-March 5. We booked through a local travel agent.(who obviously doesn't book a lot of Carnival cruises) I have severe arthritis in both knees and have a hard time standing for any length of time without pain. So when I read about FTTF, I thought that would be awesome for embarking for me. I asked her in January to book it for me and she said no problem she'd look into it . When she called me back saying she called and they told her there is no hurry, you can book FTTF anytime, she decided to wait till our paperwork came in. So, our paperwork came in last week, she called and they said it was all booked up. She was upset and so was I when she told me on Friday. She said she would try calling again to see what she could do, but I think not.

Can anyone tell me , if our embarking times are between 12:30-3pm ,how long it wold take. I keep reading different a lot of different experiences. The length of time standing is important. It seems that for our first cruise all is not starting out well. :(:mad::(:mad::confused:

You are sailing the week before the staggered time goes into effect, which is to your benefit. Though your Boarding Pass lists 12:30 to 3:00, you can go to the port earlier. (We always go to port by 9:00. We've never encountered a line that early.)

Port of Miami building is very large so seating is plentiful. The only time you'll be standing for any length of time is if there's a line to check in (which there usually is not before 10:30) and while walking to embark.

Also note, Muster Drill, aka Safety Drill, is held outside on Deck 3 and passengers are required to stand for close to 30 minutes. Upon embarkation go right to Guest Services and let them know that you have difficulty standing for long periods. Ask to be assigned to a lounge instead. You'll be able to sit in comfort instead of prolonged standing. I've done this four times - three when I sailed with my mom, who still has issues after falling and breaking her kneecap years ago, and once with a friend who was recovering from knee replacement surgery.

We've sailed Glory twice. Nice ship. Please don't let the lack of FTTF sour you. Consider it a speed bump on the road to a great week of being pampered, enjoying warmth and sunshine, and having fun.

Regarding your TA, I would speak with her supervisor for some retraining.

You are sailing the week before the staggered time goes into effect, which is to your benefit. Though your Boarding Pass lists 12:30 to 3:00, you can go to the port earlier. (We always go to port by 9:00. We've never encountered a line that early.)

Port of Miami building is very large so seating is plentiful. The only time you'll be standing for any length of time is if there's a line to check in (which there usually is not before 10:30) and while walking to embark.

Also note, Muster Drill, aka Safety Drill, is held outside on Deck 3 and passengers are required to stand for close to 30 minutes. Upon embarkation go right to Guest Services and let them know that you have difficulty standing for long periods. Ask to be assigned to a lounge instead. You'll be able to sit in comfort instead of prolonged standing. I've done this four times - three when I sailed with my mom, who still has issues after falling and breaking her kneecap years ago, and once with a friend who was recovering from knee replacement surgery.

We've sailed Glory twice. Nice ship. Please don't let the lack of FTTF sour you. Consider it a speed bump on the road to a great week of being pampered, enjoying warmth and sunshine, and having fun.

Regarding your TA, I would speak with her supervisor for some retraining.

will they actually board us earlier if we get there earlier than the 12:30 embarking time?

Do you have access to one of those folding cane-chairs?

Its about 20 bucks at Walmart

Its like a cane with a seat attached to it. It would help you.

I have one of those seat canes and love it. I can walk fine, but I do not stand well.

Since I'm now Platinum, I'm usually at the port by 10:30, checked in at priority line, and sit comfortably waiting to board the ship. However, if problems do arise, I'm prepared to sit.

We were delayed a few years ago in Tampa with ship arriving late. I was so grateful to have my seat cane.

I use it while waiting at Muster Drill. Once Muster Drill starts, I stand to see what's going on. Since we do B2B, I do go to the lounge for MD the second week.

If you have trouble standing for longer periods of time, I would echo what has already been said:

• Call special needs and let them know of your situation
  • Don't be proud, arrange for assistance with embarkation.
  • Get something to help you while on board and on excursions, such as a rollator.
  • Keep checking for FTTF. It often becomes available again just prior to sailing. Check multiple times a day, if is important to you.
  • Whatever you decide, decide to have fun!

You can have your TA call guest services at Carnival and inquire about a wheelchair for use at the port and throughout the cruise.

will they actually board us earlier if we get there earlier than the 12:30 embarking time?

If the ship is ready for embarkation, absolutely.

When you enter the Port of Miami, a port employee, who works for the port authority, not Carnival nor any cruise line, will hand you a plastic card with a zone number on it. The earlier you arrive, the lower the number you'll receive.

Order of embarkation is wedding parties, Diamond and Platinum guests, FTTF, general embarkation by zone number. Once your zone is called, embark away. :D

For Miami, go early or go late... If you arrive 10-10:30 you will not have lines however, you will have to sit and wait till they call for embarkation (which sometimes has a crowd) however, if you arrive after 1:30 there is literally NOBODY in line... You can walk right through everyone and in line and onto the ship and your cabin will be ready. The bulk of the people get there between 11 - 1 and, as was the case in Sunday for the Splendor, they did,not start embarkation till after 12:30, there was quite a crowd lined up!

I would definitely call CCL and note that there is mobility issues (call special needs) so you can be put on the list and not have to stand during the safety drill (it is a good 30 minutes standing depending on when you arrive)... They will have you meet in the theater area and sit for the drill.

If the ship is ready for embarkation, absolutely.

When you enter the Port of Miami, a port employee, who works for the port authority, not Carnival nor any cruise line, will hand you a plastic card with a zone number on it. The earlier you arrive, the lower the number you'll receive.

Order of embarkation is wedding parties, Diamond and Platinum guests, FTTF, general embarkation by zone number. Once your zone is called, embark away. :D

Can you get a zone number card , then go nearby for breakfast or do you have to stay in a certain area?

Some people have mentioned calling special needs, but your travel agent should do that. Have them ask for wheelchair assistance at the pier. Then when you get to the port, speak to any employee there and let them know you can't stand for long periods and have asked for wheelchair assistance. They should take care of you.

Can you get a zone number card , then go nearby for breakfast or do you have to stay in a certain area?

Yes. Make sure you bring your Sail and Sign card and photo identification with you as well as zone card. You'll need to show them to get back into the port building.

There is nothing within walking distance to Port of Miami. You'll need to take a taxi if you wish to go have breakfast somewhere. Bayside Marketplace is close, five minute taxi ride, and has lots of restaurants but I'm not sure what's open for breakfast. Google Bayside Marketplace to see what's there. There are also a few hotels with restaurants nearby.

You must be getting very excited!

Yes. Make sure you bring your Sail and Sign card and photo identification with you as well as zone card. You'll need to show them to get back into the port building.

There is nothing within walking distance to Port of Miami. You'll need to take a taxi if you wish to go have breakfast somewhere. Bayside Marketplace is close, five minute taxi ride, and has lots of restaurants but I'm not sure what's open for breakfast. Google Bayside Marketplace to see what's there. There are also a few hotels with restaurants nearby.

You must be getting very excited!

yes we are! We are starting to realize how much we need a vacation! thank you for all the info. Really appreciate it.

Do not waste time standing in line at Guest Services to be assigned to the muster station for those that cannot stand on the deck. Just ask one of the zillion crew members you pass on the way where it is and go there.

You will be welcomed, no questions asked about why you are there. You will be asked if you need assistance in the case of an emergency. They will record you as being at the drill and all is good.

Do it all the time.

Call Carnival's special needs department or go online under cruise manager and click the check box for wheelchair assistance. Someone from Carnival will call you to ask about your needs and arrange for a wheelchair at the port and you'll be among the first groups to board. I had to do this 2 years ago for my disabled mother.