Diabetic

dickymint25

I am fortunate to be a Type II diabetic controlled by medication and diet so I cannot comment directly on your question. However, I have travelled with friends who had specific diet needs. They discussed them with the Maitre-D for the assigned dining room the first day onboard and he made sure their wait team and the kitchen staff were made aware of the special diet and smoothed the way for a great dining experience on the cruise for my friends. You might want to have that discussion upon boarding. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

I've had type 1 for 22 years. Are you talking about low-carb desserts? Probably not, I would stick to fruit if you eat low carb. Otherwise, talk to your doctor or diabetes educator about putting you to eat on a sliding scale for your medication -- if you eat more carbs, take more insulin. Test your blood sugar often. Rinse and repeat.

Some are saying sugar free desserts....they are no sugar added desserts. They also offer no sugar added ice cream both in the MDR and at the ice cream bar in the Oceanview. As others have said, talk to your waiter, the maitre'D and they will work with you. I am a Type II and my own experiences have been good while enjoying small portions of the regular desserts. Fortunately for me the portions are always on the small side and I make it a point to walk and exercise a lot.

I'm also a Type 2 diabetic (controlled by medication and diet) and I echo the comments of others that it's absolutely possible to eat well on a cruise. Although for me, that doesn't include fruit -- if I'm going to eat a carb, it's going to be something I really want. Some fruit actually impacts my blood glucose more than eating a "real" dessert! And yes... sugar free doesn't necessarily mean carb free.

Does anyone know whether celebrity offer desserts suitable for a type 1 diabetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have been a type I diabetic for 22+ years. I don't quite get what you are asking here. If you know your carb:insulin ratio ANY food is "suitable" for a type I diabetic. It should be pretty easy to figure out how many carbs are in a given food, close enough to dose your insulin, just by looking at the portion and knowing what it is. I usually estimate as best I can, then under dose just a bit and correct if my BG rises above my upper limit, using the BG:Insulin ratio.

In any case, desert should be the easiest course to compensate for. The sugar metabolizes quickly and you will peak early and can correct quickly if you under estimate. The bigger issue is rice and pizza that takes forever to peak...With those I usually do a combo bolus with about 50% up front and 50% over 3 hours.

Dose to what you think is the right carb amount and check BG often and you will be fine.