Regal or Caribbean Princess?

TootsieLou

Planning a cruise for husband's birthday next year.

We're Platinum on Princess but have never been on Royal or Regal.

Our last 3 cruises were on Caribbean Princess and we all enjoyed very much.

Next year there is an 8 day on Caribbean Princess with stops in Curacao, Aruba and Bonaire. We've never been to Bonaire...or...

Regal Princess has 7 days stopping at Princess Cays, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We've never been to Montego Bay.

Just wondering which to choose?

If the ship is more important then go with the Regal. If the destination is more important, then go with the Caribbean Princess. Honestly though, Bonaire was just not that big a deal (unless you love to snorkel or dive). Very Blah. After having been on Emerald (sister ship to Caribbean) and the Regal, there really is no comparison, but this is just MY opinion. The buffet at the Regal is fantastic and has. Many individual servings stations an entire section dedicated to just desserts, a fabulous salad bar and a host of many other things to choose from, while the buffet on the Caribbean is a weak link and quite laughable.

Not sure if the Caribbean house Alfredo's onboard, but on the regal Alfredos was a place that we ate dinner many nights and there is no surcharge either. Really good salads and pizzas as well as other things on the menu. The entertainment was very good the crown steakhouse was very nice but the spa was fantastic, really large the atrium is exceptionally wide and has good flow and not only that but it is a beautiful ship. The weak link on the regal would be the balcony they are very narrow but large enough for two people to sit unless you luck out and get one of the deeper ones but other than that I think that ship is far superior to the Emerald/ Caribbean

We did kind of miss explorers lounge on the regal a little bit, but the show room on the regal is much nicer than on the Caribbean Princess

Edited by 4cats4me

Next year there is an 8 day on Caribbean Princess with stops in Curacao, Aruba and Bonaire. We've never been to Bonaire...or...

Regal Princess has 7 days stopping at Princess Cays, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We've never been to Montego Bay.

Our choice is the 8 day on Caribbean Princess going to all three of the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao). We've been to all of them before but never all three on the same sailing.

We're booked for this sailing on January 14, 2017.

When are you thinking of booking?

LuLu

I haven't been on the Caribbean but have sailed about 2 months on the Crown & they appear to be very similar; I have also sailed a combined 6 weeks on the Royal & Regal.

We enjoy both ships however for several reasons we both prefer the Royal-class ships more. The buffet is great, they have free filtered coffee made from ground coffee, all of the great additions to the atrium (multicourse Alfredo's Pizzeria menu, Gelato's, Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar), the greatly improved on-demand TV system with big screen TV attached to the wall at the foot of the bed and the great Winemakers Dinner in their "Wine Cellar" which at $40 for dinner with free-flowing wine it's also a good deal. :D

There are a few negatives but any ship has pros & cons and for us the Royal-class ships have many more pros! A couple of the cons on the Royal were corrected on the Regal such as Princess Theater side aisles & a small shallow pool aft on deck 17.

Since you've sailed the Caribbean then maybe try something different? Most things are in the same place on both ships so you should feel at home on the Regal Princess.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks to all for the quick replies. I appreciate your opinions. We're going either Jan 28 or Jan 29. His bday would be in Aruba on Caribbean Princess or Montego Bay on Regal Princess. Can you tell me about Promenade deck on Regal? We are inside cabin people and have always enjoyed strolling around/sitting on Promenade deck. Are there any deck chairs on Regal's Promenade deck?

Can you tell me about Promenade deck on Regal? We are inside cabin people and have always enjoyed strolling around/sitting on Promenade deck. Are there any deck chairs on Regal's Promenade deck?

CC has a site with over 3000 photos of the Regal (http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/regal-princess-679/) including some 360 degree views but unfortunately none are of Promenade deck but here's one example: Royal Princess

If you look at this deck plan (http://www.cruisecritic.com/royal-princess-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=400&deck=7) there is a section outside the atrium shops & then from the aft stairway doors to the back of the ship. It's wider but uncovered than on other ships but the available areas have some very comfortable loungers & chairs.

On Sports deck (18) they have a 1/7 mile exposed track area with lanes for walking & jogging with some outdoor strengthening equipment. I need to minimize sun exposure & only go there if the gym is too crowded.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks to all for the quick replies. I appreciate your opinions. We're going either Jan 28 or Jan 29. His bday would be in Aruba on Caribbean Princess or Montego Bay on Regal Princess. Can you tell me about Promenade deck on Regal? We are inside cabin people and have always enjoyed strolling around/sitting on Promenade deck. Are there any deck chairs on Regal's Promenade deck?

Regal is wonderful. A very beautiful ship. We've cruised both Regal and Caribbean and have a future cruise booked on both. Couple of points about Regal.

First, Regal does not have a promenade deck extending all round the ship. There are a couple of promenade locations with chairs and loungers but nothing like the promenade on CB.

Second, the balconies on Regal are miniscule. They are about 40 inches from front rail to the door. Nothing like the great balconies on CB.

Regal/Royal are the best Princess has to offer.

We love the Caribbean Princess however the Royal and Regal are something to experience.

When you book your inside cabin, you may want to try try and grab a sideway's cabin.

I would also go for the Lido deck. Its a great spot. We never felt much movement up there.

Here is a thread about them if you are interested.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2035996

Edited by janetz

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess on 1-28-17 ! The last time we were down there we loved Curacao, it was Sunday on Aruba and almost everything was closed, and never have been to Bonaire! So looking forward to a do over on Aruba and a new island. But most of all loving 4 full sea days! Balcony, Princess, and the sea! And great friends! So happy!

I've not done the Regal, but have done the Royal and a couple times on the Caribbean Princess. I really wasn't too jazzed up about the Royal for a few reasons, mostly the balcony was so small I could not turn the chair sideways to face the ocean (I'm a slimmish 6'2"). Forget about DW and me having breakfast out there... one person sitting sideways was it. I would choose based on itinerary, so I'd go with the southern route. Bonaire sees comparatively few ships. Klein Island snorkeling was incredible and you can walk to the water taxi.

Our choice is the 8 day on Caribbean Princess going to all three of the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao). We've been to all of them before but never all three on the same sailing.

We're booked for this sailing on January 14, 2017.

When are you thinking of booking?

LuLu

I agree....the cruise to the ABC islands is going to be great. You usually get one or two of the islands, rarely all three in one cruise.

Ive sailed the Caribbean Princess 11 times--its my favorite Princess ship. The Regal (2) Royal (1) times.

Some things are FREE and IMHO better on the CB than on the 2 newer ships.

Free Steam/Sauna rooms

Scoops, you can get a Milkshake--not on the Regal/Royal

4 pools compared to 2

You can actually watch a movie at MUTS

Many more quiet places to relax

Alfredo's is great, but TOO NOISEY at times on new ships

The scale tipper is a chance to cruise all 3 of the ABC islands at one time. We are doing the February 11,2017 sailing. Hope to see you there

Comfy chairs on the Promenade! There is also a place towards the aft (Back) of the ship that we came across. Just a nice quiet spot to watch the world sail by....

We generally book insides... Got a great deal where we had an obstructive view... right with the tenders. Nice view... balcony was fine for us. Yes... you can't lounge in a chair... but we had a nice glass of wine at night and enjoyed each other's company.

I'd pick Caribbean... ONLY because of Bonair... DH & I really enjoyed the Regal. Beautiful ship.

Next year there is an 8 day on Caribbean Princess with stops in Curacao, Aruba and Bonaire. We've never been to Bonaire...or...Regal Princess has 7 days stopping at Princess Cays, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We've never been to Montego Bay.

I am taking 3 of my daughters on a cruise in 2017 and we narrowed it down to these same 2 cruises! We have some missionary friends who live near Montego Bay so it was tempting to visit them, but we decided to go on the Caribbean Princess to the A,B,C islands with 4 sea days. I really wanted to try the Regal so a friend and I have booked it for later in 2017.

I was on the CB before and liked it. We had a Window suite then, but this time we got a minisuite on Emerald deck (nice covered balcony). I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you choose! :D

Are one of our destination bucket listts!

We like to travel to see different islands to see where we would want to stay for a week sometime.

We are avid snorkeling lovers.....no brainer.

It depends on if he wants the ship or the islands offered.

Either way.......have fun!

Regal doesn't have much of a Promenade deck. The only wide spot with chairs is in the middle, where smoking is allowed. There are narrow walkways behind the lifeboats but really not a pleasant place to walk. You will find the Sports deck to be better, although very few comfortable chairs up there.

Regal doesn't have much of a Promenade deck. The only wide spot with chairs is in the middle, where smoking is allowed. There are narrow walkways behind the lifeboats but really not a pleasant place to walk. You will find the Sports deck to be better, although very few comfortable chairs up there.

We really disliked the Royal (sister to Regal) because it was too big. There are no stairs at midship and the elevators were always too crowded. If you are aft or forward, you can always skip the elevators and run down the stairs to dinner or the theaters, but that's impossible if you score a mid-ship stateroom. The balconies are too small, and people on the Sea Walk could see into our stateroom unless we kept our curtains closed. Our next two cruises after the Royal were on the Star and the Grand, and we really didn't miss the Royal amenities.

Edited by Kayakbride