Corning Hot Glass show

LabGuy64

I really wanted to see this show and maybe buy a piece but, the two cruises I have booked are not on ships that have the show. Are there any pieces for sale on the other ships that were made by the glass masters doing the show?

They should make up some for the other ships to auction off

They don't sell the pieces. A few times during the cruise they will have a raffle and give some away. At the end of the cruise they will pick four or five pieces and auction them off for charity.

I guess you'll just have to book on a ship that has the Hot Glass Show :D If you are lucky - and you attend the shows they often (but not always) have a drawing and a lucky person can win a piece. I'm not that lucky.

On the last sea day they set up in the main atrium, an auction - and let me tell you - things can get very pricey$ but the cool thing is that if you have attended the shows - you most likely saw many of the spectacular pieces being made.

We own two pieces from Eclipse - a beautiful bowl - was a reasonable $450. and the highly sought after Breast Cancer Awareness piece - a STUNNING vase - that went for $2,200. All for a good cause. :D These make the absolute best reminders of special times at sea!

Word of caution; they will wrap them for you but they do not ship - so anything you purchase you must hand carry to your destination.

Edited by Jane2357

They claim that because of the Corning Museum's non-profit status they aren't allowed to sell anything. I don't know if that's true, but I have read that NYS has created a new kind of non-profit structure that would allow this. You would think it could be a big source of income for the museum [both on the Celebrity ships and in Corning], because the pieces are beautiful and as Jane2357 said it makes it so meaningful that you saw the piece being created.

I'm also a major fan of the hot glass shows and have bid (unsuccessfully) in the auctions. Have not won anything in a raffle yet, but hope springs eternal.

On one of the cruises, the glass blowers said that they don't sell their pieces because there would be pressure to make certain things and they like to be able to make what they want and experiment. Not all experiments end successfully, but that is part of the learning process for them. I saw a spectacular failure on my last cruise. Loved the piece and was sorry it didn't make it all the way to the end. They warn you about getting too attached to any of the stuff before it is finished.

Do you know if they have these shows on the Millennium? I am doing an Alaska cruise in 2017 and would love to see this!

No, they are only on the S-class (newer ship). I have heard that maybe going away.:mad:

I am very lucky (my family) have got some raffle pieces on 2 sailing.:D

They don't sell the pieces. A few times during the cruise they will have a raffle and give some away. At the end of the cruise they will pick four or five pieces and auction them off for charity.

Which is the same as selling them.;)

I guess you'll just have to book on a ship that has the Hot Glass Show :D If you are lucky - and you attend the shows they often (but not always) have a drawing and a lucky person can win a piece. I'm not that lucky.

On the last sea day they set up in the main atrium, an auction - and let me tell you - things can get very pricey$ but the cool thing is that if you have attended the shows - you most likely saw many of the spectacular pieces being made.

We own two pieces from Eclipse - a beautiful bowl - was a reasonable $450. and the highly sought after Breast Cancer Awareness piece - a STUNNING vase - that went for $2,200. All for a good cause. :D These make the absolute best reminders of special times at sea!

Word of caution; they will wrap them for you but they do not ship - so anything you purchase you must hand carry to your destination.

Must have photos!!! My wife loved the shows and even bid on a piece but didn't win. One of our friends won a beautiful pitcher at the raffle after one of the shows.

"Raffle" is not an accurate term, as it implies the hopefuls must purchase tickets to win. What they actually do is a random giveaway at some shows to rotate show pieces and the like. This is done using tickets, but the tickets are free to those who attend. There is an auction on the last (or second-to-last) sea day, where the money goes to charity.

Unlucky at these things, the wife and I were drawn a total of three times on the Eclipse.

Edited by Maligator

We'll be on the Eclipse 3 April 2016. Where on the ship do they do the Glass show?

Deck 15, by the Lawn Club. Get there early if you want a seat. :)

Edit: I see you already have an answer. :)

Edited by Fouremco

We'll be on the Eclipse 3 April 2016. Where on the ship do they do the Glass show?
Top deck. Adjacent to the lawn. The sitting is on slotted wooden benches so you might want to bring a towel or something to sit on. The shows are usually two hours long and they make three pieces. Edited by CTBob

Pictures from the auction at the end of the Eclipse cruise Mar. 1-15, 2015:

https://jazzbeauxeclipsecruise2015.shutterfly.com/pictures/620

BEAUTIFUL! I'd take any of those except whatever that pointy thing was - lol.

Just when I had convinced myself to sail on an S class without the HGS - I see this and realize that I would be sad without it! For me it never gets old!!

I'm also a major fan of the hot glass shows and have bid (unsuccessfully) in the auctions. Have not won anything in a raffle yet, but hope springs eternal.

On one of the cruises, the glass blowers said that they don't sell their pieces because there would be pressure to make certain things and they like to be able to make what they want and experiment. Not all experiments end successfully, but that is part of the learning process for them. I saw a spectacular failure on my last cruise. Loved the piece and was sorry it didn't make it all the way to the end. They warn you about getting too attached to any of the stuff before it is finished.

Also, the idea is that it is more about the process rather than what the process produces. We attended a number of the glass shows on Eclipse in 2014 and were fortunate to be lucky in the raffle. It is cool to have a unique handmade piece which you have seen made. However, I had my eye on a seashell they made and said I would bid if they put it in the auction; they didn't :( I knew they didn't sell items so I offered a donation - no dice...

Edited by pward123

I would be sad without it too. As much as I'd like to sail on Reflection and Silhouette, and eat in the Lawn Club Grill, I'd miss the Corning guys. I've seen probably 75 shows. Love them! Been to many many many many shows with raffles. FINALLY last fall I won a big beautiful bowl. It had been made the day before and I watched that show.

They gave me bubble wrap and I went the next day to have the artist sign the bottom. I love it, and it has a special place in my house.

We've attended the auctions quite a few times. I haven't bid on any so far, but I just might. Last cruise the people bidding weren't very generous. None of the pieces went for more than $500. I've seen things go for up to $3000. One lady on a cruise bought ALL 6 pieces auctioned!

Oh I have to say it's not easy hand carrying a bowl like that on the plane. I managed to fit it sideways on my carryon and then I was kind of a nervous wreck the whole time until I got home. It's about 15" across!!! The artist called it The Thanksgiving Bowl.

When I was on the Solstice, towards the end of the cruise, they auctioned off about 5 pieces. I did bid, but didnt want to spend over $500. After the show i regretted not bidding. All the pieces were wonderful and signed. Only done and auctioned on certain shows that specify the glass show.