Celebrity new ad food sourcing

BILLP1

New TV AD claiming that they will be sourcing some food from local vendors.. It is the ad where the Celebrity person orders 3000 pounds of Salmon.

What effect will this have on the food for future cruises on Celebrity?

It seems to me that cruise lines always get their food from "local" vendors. They get food at the major embarkation ports and even at ports that they visit. I have seen them load food products at ports everywhere in the Caribbean and in Europe.

This is like a burger chain stating that they only serve hormone free beef in their burgers (in Canada)....thing is that all beef sold to the public must be hormone free anyway.

This is just a marketing ploy at it's best.

This might be a step forward....to date, most of the supplies, other than fresh vegetables, milk, ... has been shipped to the ship by Celebrity...most of the meats and fish are frozen.

I'm hopeful....

The statement is sourcing from local vendors, not procuring from local producers of the products.

Vendors are the distributors or stores. Sourcing is the farm or producer where the product comes from. Salmon was used in the OP post and really, there are no local producers or fisheries for Salmon in the Miami area :)

Marketing...playing with words but in reality, they are and have been doing this all the time anyway.

Edited by pete_coach

New TV AD claiming that they will be sourcing some food from local vendors.. It is the ad where the Celebrity person orders 3000 pounds of Salmon.

What effect will this have on the food for future cruises on Celebrity?

We have the same ad her in Ontario. This year is the first year that Celebrity has had ads on our local TV. I remember when we were on a cruise in Vancouver. We were still in port and the were loading food items on the ship. I asked on of the crew if the food was from Canada and he said no that they have it sent from the US. Even milk.

I can tell you that when Celebrity does the New England/Canada cruises they buy a LOT of lobster in Maine! It's a big deal when they announce which port (Portland or Bar Harbor) is going to get the sale. So maybe they are just advertising what they already do but people didn't realize it.

I also saw fresh blackberries and raspberries being loaded onto a tender in Puerto Montt, Chili while waiting to go back to the ship. I made SURE to ask for fresh berries for dessert that night!

This really could be a win/win....Celebrity might be able to cut their costs and we might actually get fresh(er) food. I admit that buying locally may still mean it was frozen and just goes through a local vendor....but maybe, just maybe they will bring more non frozen food items on board.

As I said before, I'm going to remain optimistic rather than (my usual) cynical on this announcement.

I can tell you that when Celebrity does the New England/Canada cruises they buy a LOT of lobster in Maine! It's a big deal when they announce which port (Portland or Bar Harbor) is going to get the sale. So maybe they are just advertising what they already do but people didn't realize it.

I also saw fresh blackberries and raspberries being loaded onto a tender in Puerto Montt, Chili while waiting to go back to the ship. I made SURE to ask for fresh berries for dessert that night!

Just remember, when it comes to "Maine" lobsters a huge amount of lobsters are exported from Canada to Maine. Same species and caught in the same waters and once they are intermingled you cannot tell the difference - and they are intermingled. In the US the term "Maine lobster" is a big marketing thing.

Just remember, when it comes to "Maine" lobsters a huge amount of lobsters are exported from Canada to Maine. Same species and caught in the same waters and once they are intermingled you cannot tell the difference - and they are intermingled. In the US the term "Maine lobster" is a big marketing thing.

Aw c'mon, you can tell by their accent, eh?:D