cdc issues zika virus warning

sunsetme

Lets put this in perspective. For women who may be pregnant or who are trying to get pregnant, this is a serious situation. For the remainder, we are talking about another Dengue-type virus which is no fun! So those that say that its a non issue for everyone other than pregnant women do not understand that these kind of viruses can make anyone pretty miserable for many days. The solution is "vector control" which means spraying to eliminate the mosquito thread. But the best known chemical to control mosquitos (DDT) was pretty much banned because of Rachel Carson's theory (never proved) that DDT MIGHT harm birds. Since her book, more than 100 million have died around the world (from Malaria and other mosquito borne diseases). But not to fear, because perhaps the aware winning lady did save a few birds.

Hank

This is nonsense. I know you never come back after a hit and run post, but some people are suggesting a relationship between Zika and Gullain Barre Syndrome.

That's what I have heard as well as a connection to some paralysis....... some is temporary and some not.

I just returned from a three week vacation in Aruba, yesterday. Since Aruba is such an arid island, mosquitoes are not as prevalent as they are in some other islands. However, there have been some years that have been unusually wet, and during those times, we have seen a lot of mosquitoes. On this trip,I did see a few. They are usually more noticeable in the early mornings or at dusk. I did see one in a lady's room during the middle of the day, on the day we left. If you are going to Aruba soon, I recommend that you stay away from visiting Renaissance Island. The island is surrounded by a lot of brushy, overgrown areas. We spent two weeks at Eagle Beach and one week at the Renaissance, and went to Renaissance Island for six days. Aruba just started a massive spraying campaign this week, starting in the neighborhoods. These little critters hatch eggs that are hard to kill because they hatch after a rain. Aruba is committed to getting on top of this problem, but it is going to take time. If you go, wear bug spray. There are sunscreens that have insect spray mixed in. I think that Bullfrog makes one of these.

Welcome Hatteras! :)

From a press release from Aruba's Department of Health

"Aruba’s Department of Health has confirmed 11 cases on-island, seven of which were imported from other nations. The safety of our locals and visitors continues to be our top priority. Aruba’s health authorities and tourism sector have been working together to implement an island-wide proactive plan – taking all necessary precautionary measures and educating the local community. The tourism sector is applying protocols provided by the Department of public health, including: providing guests with convenient access to insect repellent; inspecting and covering outdoor water systems; installing traps and window/door screening; and most importantly, providing information and resources to all visitors for their continued peace of mind."

I just returned from a three week vacation in Aruba, yesterday. Since Aruba is such an arid island, mosquitoes are not as prevalent as they are in some other islands. However, there have been some years that have been unusually wet, and during those times, we have seen a lot of mosquitoes. On this trip,I did see a few. They are usually more noticeable in the early mornings or at dusk. I did see one in a lady's room during the middle of the day, on the day we left. If you are going to Aruba soon, I recommend that you stay away from visiting Renaissance Island. The island is surrounded by a lot of brushy, overgrown areas. We spent two weeks at Eagle Beach and one week at the Renaissance, and went to Renaissance Island for six days. Aruba just started a massive spraying campaign this week, starting in the neighborhoods. These little critters hatch eggs that are hard to kill because they hatch after a rain. Aruba is committed to getting on top of this problem, but it is going to take time. If you go, wear bug spray. There are sunscreens that have insect spray mixed in. I think that Bullfrog makes one of these.

I've read those mosquitos breed in as little as a bottle cap full of water.