Getting to the Beach - solo

Newatt

I will be cruising solo on the Anthem of the Seas on 2/21. I want to go to the beach in every port, but I don't really want to do the RCCL shore excursions. Is there a safe way for a solo female to get to the beach (and back)?

I'm going to San Juan, St. Maartin, Barbados, Martinique and St. Kitts

Thanks in advance!

I will be cruising solo on the Anthem of the Seas on 2/21. I want to go to the beach in every port, but I don't really want to do the RCCL shore excursions. Is there a safe way for a solo female to get to the beach (and back)?

I'm going to San Juan, St. Maartin, Barbados, Martinique and St. Kitts

Thanks in advance!

I can only personally comment on St. Maartin. In St. Maartin right where you get off the ships are vans that charge by the person and head to many beaches. Normally 7/8 per van so you'r safe and they pick you up as well.

I can only personally comment on St. Maartin. In St. Maartin right where you get off the ships are vans that charge by the person and head to many beaches. Normally 7/8 per van so you'r safe and they pick you up as well.

Thanks! I would be comfortable with that kind of arrangement.

St. Kitts works in a similar way to St. Martin. However, research your beaches. Shipwreck and Cockleshell are more rustic and beachy. Last time I wanted to go to Shipwreck, but the driver only took folks to the fancier beach club - (Carambola??) - which I didn't care for.

Try the Boatyard on Barbados. I believe if you get yourself there by cab, they will transport you back to the ship.

On St Martin I like Karakter Beach - free chair and umbrella if you buy a drink or food. Also free wifi. Food is excellent. Get there early. No beach vendors, which is really appealing to me after a couple of times on Orient Beach.

Don't know about Martinique or San Juan. In SJ I always ride the free trolley up through the town and wander back down the hill to the ship. What time do you get to SJ? Usually the Anthem does 7-1 or 4-11, so time is very limited. Traffic is awful (I was just there last Sat), so you don't want to go outside of OSJ without being on an excursion. You also probably don't want to wander around after dark away from the port street.

St Maarten has a great beach right near where the cruise ship docks or tenders. Just walk to it. The boardwalk has many food and drinking choices. There are the usual chairs and umbrellas areas. There are water sports too. A block inland from the boardwalk is lots of shopping.

But as someone else mentioned, there are shared, open-sided, bench trucks that will take you to any beach, like Orient and Maho.

There is a small beach next to the Fort in Martinique, within walking distance. But I didn't like the looks of the locals hanging around there. Not sure if they were bums or just enjoying the day off. Don't know of others.

If you can go with someone else.

The crew does this and I think it is wise.

Things happen including an injury.

Keith

Speaking only for myself.....

If I was going to be with someone else, I would not have posted what I did. :rolleyes:

When I say travel solo, that is what I mean.

Speaking only for myself.....

If I was going to be with someone else, I would not have posted what I did. :rolleyes:

When I say travel solo, that is what I mean.

I think they meant share a taxi. Not a full vacation with somebody else.

I travel solo and like knowing other people who are on the beach. Especially if we set up near each other, then watch each others' stuff.

But sharing a taxi cuts costs greatly.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I would not go out on your own.

Keith

Why travel?

After having been a couple with my late DH for more than 47 years, my method of travel will change.

But to travel and not see/do anything makes no sense to me.

Why travel?

After having been a couple with my late DH for more than 47 years, my method of travel will change.

But to travel and not see/do anything makes no sense to me.

Good morning:)...I think there "might be" a misunderstanding. I don't

think Keith is saying not to travel on your own...

I think he is saying try to catch a cab with someone else......I have

been traveling solo for years and years......it is the only way I cruise.

I certainly will not stop doing it because I have no one to go with:eek:

Oh, If am wrong about Keith's post....forgive me.

I have gone out by myself before......be aware of you surroundings is

one piece of advice I would suggest:)

Edited by Lois R

• 4 months later...

I travel solo as well. Sharing a ride to a close destination is totally fine with me. Never felt odd. Check out your roll call. Get to know a few folks and talk about plans. Easy to find a taxi mate if anyone has shared plsns. And that doesn't mean they have to be your BFF the entire cruise. I travel solo for the freedom so I want to maintain that. But Roll Calls are also very helpful for when I don't want to be solo or just want to know another person on the ship. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Along the trip talk to people about what they plan to do and you might find others going to a beach and ask if they'd share a taxi. It's easy in Cozumel (not on your itinerary) as at the taxi stand people gather and ask to go different places. It's easy to share a ride with them. Costs less too. I had a $10 ride cost $4 which was $1 over what it should have been but I paid anyway.