Bread Basket?

hlauburn

"Some" individuals DO have a problem with perceived germ transfer but the "majority" IMHO don't really. Those of us that aren't concerned are probably "comfortable" with no tablecloths, communal food, using handrails, eating in the buffet. Because of the minority, majority aspect I don't think it is up to Carnival to provide a service to reflect the concerns of the minority. If someone is a germaphobe they should take precautions if the new "service" isn't to their liking. They can ask for extra napkins to place their flat ware on, they can ask for an individual bread basket, they can wipe their chairs and the area surrounding their plates with a clorox wipe (I've seen some folks wipe off a slot machine prior to using it) they can wear latex gloves when getting food from the buffet (so they won't touch tongues where someone else has grabbed them) and they can open doors with paper towels.

It isn't really possible to "protect" everyone on a ship sailing with 3000 passengers. I think Carnival does a good job of keeping a ship clean. They use sneeze guards at the buffets, they don't let passengers cut their own meat off of a ham or roast. They watch and replace tongs, often.

The only place tablecloths have been used on a cruise ship is in the major dining rooms. People have been OK with bare tables, no trays, and paper napkins at the buffet for a long time.

I think that people who are concerned about the new type of service are more about accepting change and feeling bad about old traditions that are being replaced to match a more casual life-style that is pretty prevalent on a Carnival ship. Change is often difficult, but it is fact of life.

I have to laugh at the uproar a basket of bread on the table causes for Carnival cruisers. I have sailed several lines, and Carnival is the only line that does not leave a bread basket on the table. Of course, when there is a noro outbreak, HAL removes it and serves the bread, as well as the butter, salt packets, etc. But probably 99% of cruises do not have noro...EM

That was a really rude answer (even though you said you were joking) You never know what other people are going through, and in YOUR WORDS cannot "man up".

I would not be able to eat the bread if another person touched through it. (I am battling cancer and have to be careful, but was given the ok to cruise next week from my doctor as long as I was careful) I don't know how many times I have watched people leave the bathroom without washing their hands. On our first cruise I watched my table mate pick a piece of used chewing gum off her high heels at the dinner table then butter her bread 5 minutes later without washing her hands. The OP was just asking a question, we never know someones reason for asking it. She could be battling cancer or have another illness and really needs to be careful. On a cruise you will come across tons of germs, but you can also try to prevent them if possible.

We are each responsible for our own medical needs and should never assume others will take precautions on our behalf. I would suggest you simply avoid everything that isn't prepared only for you. I would never broadcast my private medical information to strangers regardless of the reasons and expect any modifications from others.

:eek: You're going on a ship of 3000+ and you're worried abvout a bread basket? For real? I could care less if my table mate picked me a piece of bread out of the basket and threw it across the table on to my plate. Man up already! Do you wear a mask and gloves about the ship too? I'm just poking you with humor, don't take it seriously. :D

LOL!! If we cruised together, our table would be the talk, of the MDR about all the laughter:)

We are each responsible for our own medical needs and should never assume others will take precautions on our behalf.

A vacation is a choice and where to vacation and with whom is also a choice. I agree with you, Elaine, that everyone should choose their vacations based on the precautions they need to take for their own health, well being, and stress levels.

We constantly read on these boards that many people "believe" it is the Cruise line's responsibility to provide us with every service that is compatible with our lifestyles...whether our lifestyle is based on wants or needs.

I think Carnival does a good job of assisting those who need it, within the confines of reality. They provide special menus, welcome disability assistance devices, have food options for those with severe allergies. What more do people expect?

A vacation is a choice and where to vacation and with whom is also a choice. I agree with you, Elaine, that everyone should choose their vacations based on the precautions they need to take for their own health, well being, and stress levels.

We constantly read on these boards that many people "believe" it is the Cruise line's responsibility to provide us with every service that is compatible with our lifestyles...whether our lifestyle is based on wants or needs.

I think Carnival does a good job of assisting those who need it, within the confines of reality. They provide special menus, welcome disability assistance devices, have food options for those with severe allergies. What more do people expect?

I couldn't agree more.

I am more than willing to share a communal bread basket with those on this board or on any Carnival Cruise.

However I will want the basket first and I will want to inspect each piece of bread so I can decide which ones are the ones I want.

I will use a keen eye and of course will have to touch each one and might have to smell each one to make sure its what I want. smell is important.

Shouldn't be a problem, I washed my hands after I sneezed in them, and picked my nose, I quite sure I did, but I was in a hurry to get to the bread basket first.

I don't want a guest touching my food. I'm not a paranoid person. I've been on ships with noro twice now. We never got sick even though a lot of people did. I don't want to get sick on a vacation. We dine at a table for 2. We enjoy talking to people at the bar but like to eat alone. I don't do the buffet my wife does for lunch sometimes. I have witnessed to many people grab something put it back, reach in and grab something without tongs, leave the washroom and not wash their hands. Thats how noro and others things spread. I trust that the staff have been taught proper procedures for serving food and wash their hands. I know that i can still get sick or catch something , I just like to minimize ruining a good time by catching something and being down out for 3 or 4 days.

I don't want a guest touching my food. I'm not a paranoid person. I've been on ships with noro twice now. We never got sick even though a lot of people did. I don't want to get sick on a vacation. We dine at a table for 2. We enjoy talking to people at the bar but like to eat alone. I don't do the buffet my wife does for lunch sometimes. I have witnessed to many people grab something put it back, reach in and grab something without tongs, leave the washroom and not wash their hands. Thats how noro and others things spread. I trust that the staff have been taught proper procedures for serving food and wash their hands. I know that i can still get sick or catch something , I just like to minimize ruining a good time by catching something and being down out for 3 or 4 days.

You need to upgrade to Oceania. The Terrace Grill (as close as O gets to a "buffet") has food stations where kitchen crew serve you. No passenger's touching the food allowed. Staff also on hand if you need assistance getting items back to your table.

Of course, there's grilled to order lobster, steaks, lamb chops, etc as well.

Why would i want to upgrade, i'm fine. I enjoy every cruise we have been on. I don't do buffets they suck. Not worth standing in line for sub par food. It dosn't bother me at all not to do the buffet, I don't do buffets at home either. To each his own, I don't need a lecture on what i should do i'm happy cruising without visiting the buffet.

Why would i want to upgrade, i'm fine. I enjoy every cruise we have been on. I don't do buffets they suck. Not worth standing in line for sub par food. It dosn't bother me at all not to do the buffet, I don't do buffets at home either. To each his own, I don't need a lecture on what i should do i'm happy cruising without visiting the buffet.

In your previous post, you said you don't like other passengers touching your food. My response was to let you know that there are cruise lines that have a less-than-formal venue for meals where items are still served. Rest assured that the food in an Oceania ship's "buffet" (I.e., the Terrace Grill) will be far better in prep, quality and service than anything on Carnival.

That said, recognize as well that a savvy cruise shopper on the right itinerary (with a TA who is a top O producer) will find that the inclusive nature + perks (e.g., airfare) on O is about the same daily net rate as a line like Celebrity.

In your previous post, you said you don't like other passengers touching your food. My response was to let you know that there are cruise lines that have a less-than-formal venue for meals where items are still served. Rest assured that the food in an Oceania ship's "buffet" (I.e., the Terrace Grill) will be far better in prep, quality and service than anything on Carnival.

That said, recognize as well that a savvy cruise shopper on the right itinerary (with a TA who is a top O producer) will find that the inclusive nature + perks (e.g., airfare) on O is about the same daily net rate as a line like Celebrity.

It might be about the same daily net rate as a line like Celebrity (although there are a lot of mathematical gymnastics involved to make that comparison) but you are posting on the Carnival board and I can see few making the switch.

It might be about the same daily net rate as a line like Celebrity (although there are a lot of mathematical gymnastics involved to make that comparison) but you are posting on the Carnival board and I can see few making the switch.

Agreed. But there will be that few who, like us (former Royal and Norwegian customers), take the time to do the math. The truly big "equalizer" for some premium vs mass market lines is whether they offer included airfare. A family of cruisers heading to Europe, Asia, Oceania or South America from the US will quickly see the light (not to mention the difference in quality).