Riveria Noro, Is 25% enough?

RJB

HI. we were on the Riviera for their cruise from December 13 to December 22 of 2015, just 2 months ago. at that time they were washing down the ship for the whole cruise because they had an outbreak of NORO during the cruise just before ours. I am surprised to hear about this outbreak again so soon on the same ship. I have to wonder about the cruises between ours and this last one if they had an outbreak also. how bad was this? thnaks

Is it possible that the crew were sent off the ship and it is being "bio-fogged"?. I have seen them do cabins on other lines where they go in with hazmat suits on and fog the room then seal them up. They could be doing that to the interior of the ship as well.

The "fogging" was done on our cruise both during the nights along the halls, and during at least one morning in staterooms on our deck. We walked into the fog when leaving our stateroom one morning. Scary!

The "fogging" was done on our cruise both during the nights along the halls, and during at least one morning in staterooms on our deck. We walked into the fog when leaving our stateroom one morning. Scary!

I also walked into the "fogging" when I was trying to access the private spa terrace deck one morning. The entire hallway was filled with fog and there was no sign telling passengers to refrain from opening the door. I immediately covered my face and left as quickly as possible. Agree that it was scary.

So far no one has commented on the cruise prior to the cruise that ended early due to the norovirus outbreak.

My family did a B2B on the Riveria starting February 2nd. The virus was alive and active on that cruise. By the seventh day it became obvious the crew had increased their cleaning procedures. As the cruise progressed we saw things disappear from our room and the dining room (ice buckets, room service menus, salt and pepper shakers, ect.). They were putting a cleaning solution all over the walls and on tables through out the ship and letting it air dry. Everything was either wet or sticky and smelled.

In my opinion, Oceania should have delayed our second cruise and throughly cleaned the ship. That is why I think Oceania owes the February 12th passengers more than 25%. Nothing on that sailing was at the 1st class level Oceania is known for.

So far no one has commented on the cruise prior to the cruise that ended early due to the norovirus outbreak.

My family did a B2B on the Riveria starting February 2nd. The virus was alive and active on that cruise. By the seventh day it became obvious the crew had increased their cleaning procedures. As the cruise progressed we saw things disappear from our room and the dining room (ice buckets, room service menus, salt and pepper shakers, ect.). They were putting a cleaning solution all over the walls and on tables through out the ship and letting it air dry. Everything was either wet or sticky and smelled.

In my opinion, Oceania should have delayed our second cruise and throughly cleaned the ship. That is why I think Oceania owes the February 12th passengers more than 25%. Nothing on that sailing was at the 1st class level Oceania is known for.

It's been mentioned in the other thread.

I talked to my balcony neighbor about the previous cruise. He was also on it and came down with Noro. He felt our cruise should have been cancelled, as well.

My family did a B2B on the Riveria starting February 2nd. The virus was alive and active on that cruise. By the seventh day it became obvious the crew had increased their cleaning procedures.

Did your cruise return earlier than scheduled ??

Do not remember anyone saying they we back in Miami before the end of the cruise

No wonder the crew were exhausted on the latest cruise :eek:

Do not remember anyone saying they we back in Miami before the end of the cruise

For the most part the crew was wonderful. The cabin people and butlers were probably working 15 to 20 hour days and washing and cleaning everything all day. Can't believe that they did not all quit.

For the most part the crew was wonderful. The cabin people and butlers were probably working 15 to 20 hour days and washing and cleaning everything all day. Can't believe that they did not all quit.

Pretty hard to do when the cruise line holds your passport & your wages :D

Pretty hard to do when the cruise line holds your passport & your wages :D

I guess you are right, but it is so hard on them. They need a break. We got off on Sat. and a few people got off before that. I think I heard St. Maarten.

Our first cruise (Feb. 2-12) returned on schedule and

our second cruise (Feb. 12-22) came back early.

I also agree with everyone that mentioned the crew was definitely overworked and exhausted.

I was told it was Oxivir. Here is a link to some information about the product: http://www.diversey.com/cleanerandhealthier/en/products/oxivir

Thank you!

We are still crossing our fingers that we do not come down with the virus. We were on the bus from ship to hotel with one recently sick passenger. I will feel more comfortable when we are back home, but currently still seating in the airport after our flight was cancelled last night. :(

As for the crew, we found them to be friendly at the beginning of this cruise and then the friendliness and service started to slide. It seemed that the crew only spoke when we greeted them. I tried to keep their moral up by always being friendly and smiling. Most replied the same, but we did have a few that were quite unpleasant. One particular was a bar tender at the Martini Bar. I believe he was ill with a cold. He was plain rude to us. We found all other bartenders and bar servers to be wonderful!

To answer the original posts question, NO, we do not think that a 25% refund is enough. The 25% future cruise incentive is worse less for us.

Edited by Iamthesea

I truly understand how you feel and have been in a situation where there were multiple issues on board, including sickness (not Oceania) and I wished we could have been refunded our cruise fare. However, no one received any type of compensation. To say that it is frustrating is an understatement. On the other hand, when something happens that is the cruise line's fault (the fire on the Insignia last year for example), the cruise line will do whatever they can to satisfy their customers.

IMO, it is a matter of whether Oceania is directly responsible for what happened. Unfortunately I don't think that anyone can prove that all of this is Oceania's fault. They have spent untold thousands of dollars to fix this issue and have no doubt lost some valued customers. I do wish that there were a better solution.

Looking at it on the positive side (not easy to do), a 25% refund on this cruise plus 25% off of the next cruise is a 50% savings which is sounds like people are asking for. I suspect that the 25% off of a future cruise is to entice passengers to give Oceania another try.

Out of curiosity, will you sail on Oceania again?

To answer your question, we were first time Oceania cruisers and were prepared to be wowed. We noticed from the first meal in the Terrace Grill is lack of service. To get coffee or salt and pepper packets was nearly impossible. And it just got worse as the cruise continued. My take is that Oceania used us as guinea pigs hoping beyond hope that the cruise would make it. Well, it didn't be a long shot. Unless you were there, you can't begin to understand it. We will not be cruising Oceania as the 25 percent future cruise has to be booked soon for travel before Feb of 2017. I know we will need more time than that to reconsider Oceania. There are too many options. And the lack of concern and civility of the staff in guest services, destination services, and the concierge services offended us. There was a complete lack of response. We were treated as though we wanted to steal something from them when we just wanted information. No, we will most likely not cruise with Oceania again.

No, we will most likely not cruise with Oceania again.

It is too bad that cruise was not a good experience because of the Noro

You only get one chance to make a good first impression & Oceania failed on this cruise

I do not blame people for not wanting to try them again

It is too bad that cruise was not a good experience because of the Noro

You only get one chance to make a good first impression & Oceania failed on this cruise

I do not blame people for not wanting to try them again

You are so right. This was our 9th cruise on O and because all the rest were great we can cut them a break one time. If it was our 1st I do not know. Still 20% NOT NEARLY ENOUGH !!!!

I truly understand how you feel and have been in a situation where there were multiple issues on board, including sickness (not Oceania) and I wished we could have been refunded our cruise fare. However, no one received any type of compensation. To say that it is frustrating is an understatement. On the other hand, when something happens that is the cruise line's fault (the fire on the Insignia last year for example), the cruise line will do whatever they can to satisfy their customers.

IMO, it is a matter of whether Oceania is directly responsible for what happened. Unfortunately I don't think that anyone can prove that all of this is Oceania's fault. They have spent untold thousands of dollars to fix this issue and have no doubt lost some valued customers. I do wish that there were a better solution.

Looking at it on the positive side (not easy to do), a 25% refund on this cruise plus 25% off of the next cruise is a 50% savings which is sounds like people are asking for. I suspect that the 25% off of a future cruise is to entice passengers to give Oceania another try.

Out of curiosity, will you sail on Oceania again?

We paid our money directly to Oceania, did not send it to someone in cyberspace. By taking our money they promised us a bunch of things. Look at all the beautiful books they send every day. No question that Oceania id very directly responsible for everything that happens on their ships. If not them than who else? It is them and only them who controls everything that goes on with their ships. Let them step up and do the right thing or all their good will and great effort over the last 10 years will go to pot and they will have no customers left.

If not them than who else?

The passengers themselves?

I hope you are never in hospital when it gets a noro outbreak.

We were/are considering Oceania Cruises. I may reconsider. Not because of Noro (which can happen anywhere with lots of people in one place), but because having read some threads on these boards if anything goes wrong, not even lines fault, people want compo compo compo..Or that is not enough compo.

We were/are considering Oceania Cruises. I may reconsider. Not because of Noro (which can happen anywhere with lots of people in one place), but because having read some threads on these boards if anything goes wrong, not even lines fault, people want compo compo compo..Or that is not enough compo.

I think everyone on this forum should take a little time to read the CDC report on all the lapses on Riviera and then make a judgement !!!

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTg3ODAxOTg%3d-XwyRKC/Tqa8%3d

I picked out one of the many items in breach of Hygine requirements which interestingly referes to the Dec 2nd cruise.

Item No.: 11

Site: Medical-Crew Member Late Reporting of Acute Gastroenteritis (AGE)

Violation: On 13 December, a junior utility cleaner (food worker) had an onset of AGE symptoms at 0930, reported to medical at 2115 and worked while symptomatic. On 4 December, a waitress (food worker) had on onset of AGE symptoms at 0930, reported to medical at 1700, and worked while symptomatic. On 4 December, an assistant buffet waiter (food worker) had an onset of AGE symptoms at 1800, reported to medical on 5 December at 1015, and worked and ate at the crew mess while symptomatic. On 24 November, an assistant cabin steward had on onset of AGE symptoms at 0230, reported to medical at 1530, and worked and ate at the crew mess while symptomatic. All four food workers were disciplined for late reporting of AGE symptoms.

Recommendation: When food employees meet the case definition for AGE, ensure the following actions are taken: (1) isolate in cabin or designated restricted area until symptom-free for a minimum of 48 hours; (2) follow-up with and receive approval by designated medical personnel before returning crew to work; (3) document date and time of last symptom and clearance to return to work. When nonfood employees meet the case definition for AGE, ensure the following actions are taken: (1) isolate in cabin or designated restricted area until symptom-free for a minimum of 24 hours; (2) follow-up with and receive approval by designated medical personnel before returning crew to work; (3) document the date and time of last symptom and clearance to return to work.

I think everyone on this forum should take a little time to read the CDC report on all the lapses on Riviera and then make a judgement !!!

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTg3ODAxOTg%3d-XwyRKC/Tqa8%3d

I picked out one of the many items in breach of Hygine requirements which interestingly referes to the Dec 2nd cruise.

Violation: On 13 December, a junior utility cleaner (food worker) had an onset of AGE symptoms at 0930, reported to medical at 2115 and worked while symptomatic. On 4 December, a waitress (food worker) had on onset of AGE symptoms at 0930, reported to medical at 1700, and worked while symptomatic. On 4 December, an assistant buffet waiter (food worker) had an onset of AGE symptoms at 1800, reported to medical on 5 December at 1015, and worked and ate at the crew mess while symptomatic. On 24 November, an assistant cabin steward had on onset of AGE symptoms at 0230, reported to medical at 1530, and worked and ate at the crew mess while symptomatic. All four food workers were disciplined for late reporting of AGE symptoms.

Recommendation: When food employees meet the case definition for AGE, ensure the following actions are taken: (1) isolate in cabin or designated restricted area until symptom-free for a minimum of 48 hours; (2) follow-up with and receive approval by designated medical personnel before returning crew to work; (3) document date and time of last symptom and clearance to return to work. When nonfood employees meet the case definition for AGE, ensure the following actions are taken: (1) isolate in cabin or designated restricted area until symptom-free for a minimum of 24 hours; (2) follow-up with and receive approval by designated medical personnel before returning crew to work; (3) document the date and time of last symptom and clearance to return to work.

Englishlady,

We have sailed in two other ships with Noro - no request for compensation but, there is more to this than just Noro IMO and I don't think that all the blame for Noro lies with the passengers. O's handling of the outbreak gave us grave cause for concern. O needs to be more consistent in its prevention protocols and its compensation.

Roger - totally agree!

With all that we went thru since almost from the beginning of the cruise and coming back 2 days early it is not nearly enough. After Tortola we made a speed run to Miami with chemicals all over everything on the ship, even the floors and as a few people said we were outrunning the TV signal. The last 2 days on Riviera were no fun and not close to what we paid for. Even in St.Maarteen they cleared the ship for most of us 2 hours late and did not get off until 11:30. To sum it up we lost 2 days on the way back to Miami and the cruise was cut 2 days short. In my book that adds up to 40%. At the least. Oceania has to step up and take care of us as they should. It is not the time to be cheap about it. :(:(:(

I'm on your side ;)

I wish they had cut our cruise two days short. Since we were refused admittance to Bermuda for our two day stay, it could have been done. Maybe then, the ship could have been thoroughly cleaned, the problem resolved and maybe then, O would have stepped up to the plate.

Their response both on the ship and post cruise to the passengers on these cruises does not speak highly of their customer care.

Maybe if they quit pumping out all these expensive glossy brochures, they could put that $ and energy into customer care?

I absolutely agree. The line management on the ship needs some serious work if they are going to continue to have these Norovirus outbreaks. Also, the senior management on the ship needs to take better care of their passengers. They hid behind their doors during on our 2/12 cruise and we found our information on the CDC website. Our prior 55 days at sea with O had been fabulous and this was so disappointing.

I would be interested to hear from balanced perspectives out there on the following thought progression. Interesting to hear what y'all think.

1. Oceania had experienced at least 2 NV outbreaks aboard cruises in the short time before our cruise (embarkation 2/12/2016). Of these one had a CDC report (Nov/Dec timing?) with lots of adverse findings. However, I have not been able to find any CDC report related to the NV outbreak on the cruise that preceded ours. Perhaps that outbreak did not exceed the 3% threshold reporting requirement.

2. with less than 24 hours before our scheduled embarkation, O sent an e mail to our TA advising of the NV outbreak on prior cruise. The e mail cited "enhanced sanitation protocol to safeguard the well being of our guests and crew."

3. The e mail goes on to assert "the vessel will undergo a thorough turnaround sanitation protocol prior to your embarkation in Miami." O finally concludes "we fully believe the occurrence has been contained." O also mentioned that the embarkation process would be delayed by about 2 hours (1 pm for suites, 2 pm for general boarding) to accomplish the extensive sanitation protocol mentioned above.

4. based on our past positive experiences on O, we believed their representations and felt ok to embark.

5. we arrived at noon and found embarkation to already be well underway for the suites and for all cabins. There was sanitation activity on shore through the embarkation process wiping everything down between each passenger that registered.

6. we never noticed any CDC personnel on shore or on Rivera after we boarded. They may have been there but we never saw them.

7. Here is a key issue to me: changeover day on any cruise ship is a massive undertaking under the best of circumstances. It takes every single member of crew and staff working in a frenzied way to get it all done. Anyone who has seen it understands this reality. How then could O possibly accomplish "a thorough turnaround sanitation protocol prior to our embarkation in Miami" and at the same time undertake all of the work associated with changeover day? Think about this. We are talking about doing all of this wishing a 4-5 hour period!! And the time taken to do this work was actually cut short vs. what O advised in their e mail about delayed embarkation. I do not know what this changeover day sanitation protocol entailed. Was it developed by O or was it under the guidance of CDC? My contention is that O did a short and quick attempt with all efforts to get the next cruise underway.

8. Once we were on board, the infection took its course despite all of the ongoing sanitation efforts until it reached 10% ultimately. I believe that O cut short this cruise, not out of any concern about the passengers or crew on board. Rather, they now had the CDC deeply engaged and they knew they would be required to undertake a more extensive multi day sanitation before being allowed to set sail with the next cruise. So rather than take any risk of screwing up yet another cruise, they stiffed those they had already duped into believing their earlier representations.

Conclusions:

a) I believe O cut corners on 2/12 and took the risk with open eyes to set sail. They withheld information from passengers prior to embarkation and throughout the cruise. Were it not for the obligation to get CDC involved, no idea where this might have gone. They took the risk. All the upside goes to O. All the downside goes to passengers.

b) O management looks pretty inept and cowardly. They ran away from a problem rather than taking accountability. They under communicated and (except for Dottie the Cruise Director) chose not to interact with passengers to help manage the ever growing tension on board Riviera. Contrast that with the working crew who worked tirelessly to near exhaustion. Many apologized profusely to passengers and begged them to come back to O an a future cruise. Never once did we hear anything like that from ANY member of O management. And it is this dismissive, blame it on the passengers attitude that is so enraging.

After 65 Cruise nights on O, how can I persuade myself to trust them again?

Englishlady,

We have sailed in two other ships with Noro - no request for compensation but, there is more to this than just Noro IMO and I don't think that all the blame for Noro lies with the passengers. O's handling of the outbreak gave us grave cause for concern. O needs to be more consistent in its prevention protocols and its compensation.

Roger - totally agree!

A breach of hygine standards which no one has looked at and was pointed out in the report that packet food ie Prosciutto was opened an left over the 7 days recommended shelf life and served .

Another cost cutting of which I am sure there are many .

On the CDC web site there is a serious point that they have not filed the corrective action report from the outbreaks this year, maybe they do not know where to start !!

To me this is a breakdown in management which would not of happened before the Norwegien take over.

Small is beautiful !!!

Edited by roger b
wrong word